Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Tech question: Possible with follow focus using internal motors?
  • Hey,

If someone was given full access to the protocols of the lens control, would it be possible to make a usable follow focus using the internal motors of the lenses? We know these motors can move fast when autofocusing. I know about the Okii and other controllers for Canon that use the usb, but that moves in quite coarse steps, and is not really usable for precise pulls. I realize that it is a longshot to see this functionality in dslrs, but for the dedicated videocameras like c300/af100 a nice always calibrated internal follow focus would be really nice!

Are there any technical reasons why this wouldn't be possible?

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • man hours in developing it i say. the principles are there with the on screen touch focus. what i would like is to have a preset A and B position with timer then hit record and it will pull focus based on those inputs.

• If someone was given full access to the protocols of the lens control, would it be possible to make a usable follow focus using the internal motors of the lenses? We know these motors can move fast when autofocusing.

Yes, it is possible. Just hard to do.

With Wi-Fi cameras it can be simpler.

• Birger Engineering has such a product already. http://www.birger.com

• @bmorgan83 Cool, I remember that unit. This video is two years old, was this adapter ever released? Is it for sale anywhere?

• Does anybody know the protocol for 4/3 lenses (not m4/3, if there is any difference)?

Tapping the contacts from the 4/3-m4/3 adapter would be easy and controlling the high end Olympus lenses with some external device would be really cool.

• @Psyco Agreed! But it would have to be more precise than the infinitely spinning focus rings on the barrels. Working with proper mechanical 2/3" lenses every day, it is just frustrating to focus with the laggy and unprescise fly-by-wire m43 lenses. I think fly-by-wire could be more precise with proper hard stops...

• @AndersM

would it be possible to make a usable follow focus using the internal motors of the lenses?

With Wi-Fi cameras it can be simpler.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev is right, it's already almost possible using Wifi control with the GH3 (and it should be the same for the GF6 and G6), and doing some dev/scripting using what is described in this topic : http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6703/control-your-gh3-from-a-web-browser-now-with-video-/p1) :

The good things :

• with the wifi focus control, you have 4 commands : wide fast / wide slow / tele fast / tele slow
    • with the wifi focus control, you have 256 values from minimum to infinity
    • each time you call one of these functions, the GH3 returns the value of the actual focus state (from 0 to 255)
    • you could use the "touch to focus" or the manual focus functions to memorize the focus points you're interested in, and then use them in your script

The complexity :

• the speed depends on the lens used. So you basically have to handle every lens model when you code the focus application
    • the network / processing delay when executing a focus command can become too long when trying to smoothly rack focus. ie during my tests with the 20mm 1.7 if you use "fast wide / fast tele" there is some hiccups between each occurrence of the command, if you use "slow wide / slow tele" there is no hiccups, but it's really too slow (because you are limited by the number of command the GH3 can process in a second, max is around 10/s). With other lens, I'm pretty sure you can fine tune and have a decent wifi follow focus program.
  • @lenuisible

To make it work we need to make some simple command that can work more direct, I think.