Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Snowden must get asylum now!
  • The US are very very nervous about the whole Snowden issue. Its bloody ridicolous. Forcing Evo Morales airplain to land in Austria because they think Snowden is on board. Comeon! Thats hilarious! US director of national intelligence Clapper lies unpunished to Congress about the whole Nation being spied. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/01/james-clapper-apology-congress-erroneous-response Obama is pissing himself in his pants. Obviously they are expecting big things to come up by his leaks. EU is already obeying any orders after shortly and shyly protesting. US are bullying the entire world - even Snowdens father, trying to play a shitty emotional card. Every single day that passes, Snowden is doing a great thing! Hale-fuckin-luya... He should get asylum now!

• 39 Replies sorted by
  • I'm an American Citizen born and raised. Someone please give this man asylum already.

• @gameb

I already told my opinion about this guy. All of the facts show that he just a decoy.

• @Vitaly_Kiselev "Usually main target of such operation is to drive attention from something more important." "Thing is this story is promoted by papers owned by same guys who play and talk and meet with NSA top guys each day." Totally agree with you Vitaly, but does not make sense to me in this case. Too simple. With Snowden there is a before and an after, may be not for everybody, and maybe not for you. But being worldwide published that the US government, their intelligence services and the corporations are spying every single persons communications in the entire world - that is big. And what is also big for me is that very few people seem to care about it. They don't give a flying fuck on it. "I have nothing to hide", famous dangerous opinions of people Jacob Appelbaum talks about. Don't forget the Nazis.

• But being worldwide published that the US government, their intelligence services and the corporations are spying every single persons communications in the entire world - that is big.

LOL. It is not. As it is just obvious. If you get any security conference or talk to any expert all told same things.

Mister Snowden even contacted all major newspapers (that work closely with NSA) long before his run, so everyone knew about it.

This guy is made for average man sitting before his TV :-)

• Interesting idea as a Decoy but I don't believe that for one second. The US did not want this stuff becoming mainstream, or did many other involved parties like Google. The average guy from the media has just got that he leaked some stuff from work that everyone already knew. The guy is 100% genuine.

• @jimmykorea

I already told you that according to his own words and newspapers words he contacted them long ago. In time he was working still. All this were known to NSA from day one, as he (very strangely) specially contacted newspapers who are very closely related with goverments.

He also did not disclosed anything valuable.

• One of the versions I have is that he was decoy to have some reason to start currency and trade fees war. As he really very much liked to get into two non random countries :-)

• @Vitaly_Kiselev You didn't read exactly what I was writing. I said that maybe it was not a big deal for you or for me or a many others who since years are knowing these kind of facts and are trying to make people conscious about it. But for the entire world to know and being a proved and published fact that they are being controled in any internet or phone comunication - that is a huge shock especially for the younger generations who in 70% think Snowden is a heroe. And this will definitely change their view and behaviour about dealing with communications systems. Thats why there is a before and an after.

• And this will definitely change their view and behaviour about dealing with communications systems.

No, not a bit.

As for "huge shock", it was just fully controllable bullshit with no real data provided. Even materials were made and designed for complete idiots sitting before TVs.

• Best would be to have a move of people towards encrypted communications, Tor Browser, email, search engines etc. encrypted phones are still bloody expensive: http://www.cryptophone.de/

• Tor Browser, email, search engines etc. encrypted phones are still bloody expensive

LOL. Just for example - most Tor nodes are specially monitored, many are owned by NSA and similar guys :-)

Constant usage of encryption in email, VPN and similar things will bring you to special watch list with almost 99% probability.

• If Snowden is a Red Herring (which wouldn't surprise me), then we have to ask "What is the purpose?". The simplest and most obvious explanation is that the government wants to "Beat the grass and startle the snakes". However I wonder if it is much more complex then that. We'll have a better idea once we see the conclusion to this little drama. It might be some sort of test of other countries to see which ones are loyal or not based on offers of asylum and such or even a long-term project to insert Snowden as an undercover operative.

I played around with Tor a short while back just to check it out. However I actually heard about it based on posts of older hackers fairy tales of the "Deep Web" to scare and awe the newbs. But because of all the renewed interest in those related posts from a year or two ago, Tor and .onion sites have gotten lot of popularity and exposure recently and such have also become even more trolled by law enforcement and such. Particularly the Silk Road and such. It's a big mess now I don't bother with and never had any use for except as entertainment value.

Joshua

• @Vitaly_Kiselev If this is true Vitaly, I dont understand whats so funny about it. I thought these people at least are trying to create something different. But may be its just the time to go back to ordinary mail and drums communication. You could encrypt your next hack in an afrocuban 6/8 drumcode with a sweet Wolga melody played on a Nokton MFT trumpet.

• I do agree with Vitaliy, come on how is that possible that someone considered "dangerous" for keeping secret information would be running around and talked in all mass media, NO WAY.

If this guy is genuine and I really doubt that, then the only possibility he is still alive it's because someone somewhere wants to show the world (aka mass not awaken people) a lesson, I CONTROL YOUR LIVE AND YOU CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT.

Now the more real theory is like Vitaliy said "decoy", will it be to deviate attention from something really important like a law being approved, the fact that there is a silent crisis that is about to blow, a preparation for a war declaration to some countries in Latin and south america, or that hundreds of millions bees are dying and if things continue like this we are absolutely dependent on transgenic seeds (aka economically), or whatever I do not now. But something is 99% sure Snowden is a actor (even if he himself does now it).

Security... well technology today is in a point where is not possible to hide, unless you have unlimited resources the only way to keep transparent is playing the game and don't move many people at the same time.

The question here is why they (power authorities) let happen so many illegal stuff, why so many crimes. Well the answer is simple, they need to feel comfortable to be themselves.

GREETINGS

• The Dictionary of the Global War on You (GWOY) Definitions for a New Age

The Global War on You (GWOY): This term, not yet in the language, is designed to replace a post-9/11 Bush administration name, the Global War on Terror (GWOT), sometimes also called World War IV by neocons. GWOT was famously retired by President Obama and his top officials, turning the ongoing global war being fought on distant battlefields and in the shadows into a nameless war. That may, however, change. You are, after all, being called to the colors in a war on... you. Congratulations, son or daughter, Uncle Sam wants you (even if not in the way he used to in your grandparents’ day). You, after all, are the central figure in and the key to GWOY and the basis upon which the new global security state will continue to be built.

http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175720/

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

He also did not disclosed anything valuable.

He may not have disclosed anything which wasn't already known or assumed, but he disclosed it in such way, with documents, that the facts couldn't be ignored by major media, hard as major media is trying to turn the whole thing into amateur psychology babble, the same way it did with Bradley Manning.

The claim that the whole thing is an orchestrated diversion -- as opposed to an incidental one -- strikes this reader as, well, far more improbable than the claim that Snowden is exactly who he says he is.

• that the facts couldn't be ignored by major media, hard as major media is trying to turn the whole thing into amateur psychology babble, the same way it did with Bradley Manning.

Thing is major media have exactly same interestes most of the time.

Another decoy theory is that Snowden is just global elite toy, used to slap US slightly and show them their place.

You can make many absolutely probably theories, but only his owners know real one.

The claim that the whole thing is an orchestrated diversion -- as opposed to an incidental one -- strikes this reader as, well, far more improbable than the claim that Snowden is exactly who he says he is.

You can't even imagine how much orchestrated things can looks like random ones.

• oh yeah, people love conspiracy theories....

• I can't see any conspiracy in this - he felt compelled to release this information in the public interest, for better or for worse. My coworker said today that she thought he was getting paid for it, and was rather incensed with my position about his motive being honorable - basically as a privacy-rights defender.

We both agreed that he's pretty much screwed though - his biggest crime was taking classified information from the defense apparatus of the state.. it could be completely harmless, but parading it in front of the public attacks the authority of the state.. remember there are millions of Americans that have access to classified information, which is a great way to keep whistleblowers quiet. When they see Snowden chased all over the world and finding no friends anywhere most will choose to keep their mouths shut.

Anyway I don't expect it do do much policy-wise.. people just don't really care, and probably assume it's for homeland security and doesn't apply to them.. that is probably the case, but it's certainly at risk of being corrupted in the future

• there is no useful end game for any of the decoy hypotheses presented here. Sometimes Occam's razor is just that. The "global elite slapping the US and showing them their place" suggest the the "global elite" lost control and there is a government FOR the people in charge? Does not compute.

• I can't see any conspiracy in this - he felt compelled to release this information in the public interest, for better or for worse.

Thing is that that in this case he behaved very strange. As he contacted newspapers and media corporations in such a way that everyone knew about him, all details for months. And all such outlets have certain policies about natinal security, so this information become known to NSA in seconds.

As I said, information were presented in the form that can be consumed by average person having few minutes before TV. And this information, at best, can be called light slap.

The "global elite slapping the US and showing them their place" suggest the the "global elite" lost control and there is a government FOR the people in charge? Does not compute.

Nope, it does not mean that anyone lost or gained control. Just different groups have different interests.

• Thing is that that in this case he behaved very strange. As he contacted newspapers and media corporations in such a way that everyone knew about him, all details for months.

Based on the accounts of the principals involved, Laura Poitras and Glenn Greenwald, neither of whom is a known liar, Snowden first contacted Poitras, a documentary filmmaker, but failed to persuade Greenwald to set up a secure internet connection, until Poitras intervened a few months later. Poitras then got Bart Gellman of the Washington Post involved, and Greenwald took the story to the Guardian, where he works as a blogger.

Snowden's behavior may or may not be strange, but it's not surprising, when no course was likely to succeed in maintaining his cover for very long -- he had disappeared from his job, and violated his security contract by travelling on his passport without advance permission. This itself may be strange -- he might have done better staying in his job -- but he appears to have heroic impulses, which is not surprising for a 29-year old. Unfortunately for him, he also appears to have had a naive view of his prospects for political asylum.

Maybe the U.S. government plotted all this out, but for what possible purpose? And how did they program him? The simplest explanation looks to be the most likely one.

• This story somewhat reminds me of the case of Christopher Boyce (see the movie "Falcon and the Snowman" if you're not familiar with him). The differences are he hasn't sold his information (as far as we know) and he managed to flee the country. Now the US can bully, threaten and bribe world nations. I wonder what deal Old Man Biden cut with Ecuador?? I say leave the guy alone. As Vitaliy suggests, any government that is "shocked" by the so-called "revelation" that we're spying on them is either naive, grandstanding for PR, or both!

• [any government that is "shocked" by the so-called "revelation" that we're spying on them is either naive, grandstanding for PR, or both!]

They are required to be shocked or else lose face and beg for anal sex. The sheer scale of what's done is shocking though and runs into the ground for all eternity any higher moral ground the US may have had in its (young) history. This has damaged the US image worse than two unjustified wars combined.

• Well looks, like slowly is coming out what was obvious: more and more intelligence services are involved in spying everybody. Thats why the EU also is not really protesting against anything. They just stand by foot to the US - violating human rights. The most pervers thing is to pretend, this is protection about terrorists. Its all about global control. Resources. Power. Yesterday Obama killed another 17 people in Pakistan with his evil drones - violating human rights - who is the terrorist? Who wouldn't stand up and fight against this evil power to revenge a terrorist killing of his whole family? This is an undeclared war against the people on world scale.