Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Mirrorless shipments in April suck, compacts are done

All is not so good for mirrorless cameras.

You can clearly see problems with sales and effects of massive discounts, especially in US.

3) columns is for month to same month year ago comparison. 4) columns are for comparison of whole january-april periods.

Via: http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/pdf/d-201304_e.pdf

cipa_april.jpg
    648 x 320 - 98K
    cipa_april1.jpg
    800 x 287 - 109K
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • I wonder if this is why the GH3 just dropped $50 in the US?

• "smart devices"

• @seeker

Yep, it is usual Thom with "CIPA's percentage calculation doesn't agree with mine, which is slightly higher".

You can laught for long :-)

As well as his usual predictions like "The weather will continue to change on and off for a long, long time." or "Forecast for this evening…increasing darkness tonight with light patches toward morning…”

Sadly he completely lacks sense of humour.

• :-) Yeh a degree of usefulness may vary from post to post and especially for different people. Any case he is full-time in photography and looks at the current situation, tries to interpret what it may mean for the long run. While some of the things he speaks about may be obvious to industry insiders, they may be helpful for an amateur. He is not perfect in predictions but who is?

By the way, Thom was one of the first I noticed to publish (on his previous Nikon blog) that the smartphones are going to eat compact photo cameras for lunch long, long before any statistics has shown it. So he earned my trust with keeping an eye on global photography trends and trying to make sense of them :D

• By the way, Thom was one of the first I noticed to publish (on his previous Nikon blog) that the smartphones are going to eat compact photo cameras for lunch long, long before any statistics has shown it.

Yep, one of most idiotic predictions (btw suggest to check history such predictions was made long long before Thom). Some guys just lack understanding of basic family finances and economics, as well as power of huge international media outlets, so they invented "smartphones are going to eat compact photo cameras".