Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Your warranty may be void
  • I'm sure this isn't huge news to most people here, but thought it interesting.

http://www.diyphotography.net/dear-canonnikonpanasonic-can-i-use-custom-firmware-my-camera

tl;dr: Using ML on Canon won't void your warranty, but PV's hack and other Nikon custom firmware will void your warranty on your Panasonic or Nikon cameras.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Panasonic consumer warranties are worthless anyway. The only way I would buy my GH3 was to buy an after market "No questions asked" warranty. The Broadcast division warranties seem to be fine but I bought the same aftermarket warranty with my AC160 anyway.

• @ahbleza I've tried some time ago to find someone on the web complaining about a voided warranty after a Lumix camera hack, without luck.

The same goes for people able to prove that a hack has bricked a camera.

I think the most risky part of the hack process is a bad move during firmware upgrade, but again, the few people who has experienced that used a non panasonic battery, which is known to be highly inadvisable.

• @ahbleza

I think it is 10th repeating of same approach. Used to scare people.

• @lenuisible I had to laugh when I read about the Panasonic technician that claimed the hacks would burn the image sensors out. I honestly never understood the scare tactics. Without the hack, neither the 1 or 2 would have achieved a fraction of the popularity they have gotten.

• I think the Panasonic should not make hard to hack encrypted firmware etc ... After the hack they sold much more GH2 than before ... If i pay and own my camera than it is up to me what i want to do with it ...

Also using third party batteries may void your warranty, if you "tell them" ...