Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • Hey Guys, one question: I red about using just the 50mbps modes because of more noise in the 72 A-I... Yesterday i made a test, same light, same profile, no movement in camera. Iso 200 I recorded 10sec in 50 and 10 sec in 72 mbps I couldnt see any difference. Is this noise more in higher iso settings?

• Today I finally did a test on all 6 of the GH3's picture profiles with a grey and a color chart: http://gro.solexiv.de/2014/02/panasonic-gh3-color-profiles-2/

tl;dr: I'll use NATURAL with a little less blue in the camera's white balance to achieve a realistic but not necessarily flat look. Today this is not reality proved but I'm looking foreward to trying these settings in future projects.

• Here is my camera sweet spot for legacy lens that shoots soft and flat... NAT 0,0,-5,-5 ISO 640 (This is important, as the colours are rich and the grain is film like when sharpened.

• @olli66 For Premiere CC, add the Lumetri effect and point it to the LUT file.

• EDIT: Didn't even make sense, sorry.

• Hi!

In day light I only use 1080p50 (pal) in 50mbits/IPB MOV with Natural set to -5 -5 -4 -3

That works well for me (just some curves adjustment in PP) :

• ok, one more reason to try the Adobe cloud any tutorials of how to use the LUTs?

• Can't load LUTs into Sony Vegas

• @yak those pics look good with LUT applied could anyone teach a totally noob how to work with LUT? I have Sony Vegas, still thinking of joining the Adobe Cloud as well...

• @superset

It changed de adjustment, based on what it changed that I liked I tried to correct my LUT accordingly

• @yak Sweet, will give this a go and thank you again!
    PS. I just noticed that you added FilmConvert to your workflow as well (noted above). Doesn't FC undo some of your LUT changes to Sat, Lum, and Curves?

• @superset Just a matte effect

Here is a new LUT bases on natural - 5. - Red hue brightness adjustment ( Reds are often too bright ) - Red hue desaturation ( When saturating the red color oversaturate. ) - Saturation - Luminance Curve adjustment ( Smoother gradation from Blacks to Mids ) - Color Correction ( Added a little of a green cast to kill the magenta cast )

ailut2.jpg
    720 x 808 - 154K
    GH3 skin V3.cube.zip
  • @yak Looks good! What's the Matte LUT?

• I think I may have a killer combo... new LUT + Matte LUT + Filmconvert

It's amazing how much detail came back in the girl's face. Gradation from black to mids is very smooth and getting back some details in the highlights.

Natural -5.png
    1200 x 674 - 1M
    Lut+filmconvert.png
    1202 x 675 - 1M
  • This is another test grade, (Red hue adjustment + Mid tone contrast adjustment) + 50% Film convert

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lvIPUp6rE_QmN1OWtTVlFuVkE/edit?usp=sharing

Better when downloaded

• @yak Thanks for the follow-up. If you end up with an updated LUT, please do share. :)

• This is what I am trying to achieve... Only manage to touch skins and mids... not completely satisfied yet.

Using @flablo screen cap...

Untitled-1.jpg
    1200 x 1350 - 219K
    flablo1.png
    791 x 488 - 485K
    flablo2.png
    790 x 488 - 467K
  • @superset

Touching the red brightness was only part of the solution...it helps a lot but there still is a problem in the mids. I want to find a way to have great looking skins while grading flat... I like flat.

• @OBgene probably Natural, but I wanna test Vivid as well. There is more than someone who says that despite the contrasty look it is the cleanest mode in terms of noise

• '0'for colour and sat on which profile?

• @flablo "Flatness Hype". What a great term. Yep... I'm guilty. I think I've learned the GH3 doesn't play that game well. @CarlosMorillo good advise on "0" for color and sat. I'm going to do the same on my next two interviews. @flablo Please flood the thread. I've learned much from your tests.

• Yeah I'm not a fan of shooting flat with an 8 bit codec unless the cam has a LOG profile that comes with it like a C-300 where you shoot in C-LOG.

• Don't mean to flood this thread, but after a few test, basically I'm sold: I will use flat settings only for non-skin or to get a particular effect with skin (the effect we all know, and sometimes may be desirable). Will stay with settings at 0 (except NR and Sharpness) for "ordinary" shooting involving people. Will prefer working with lenses with less contrast than Panasonics for this

• @CarlosMorillo you're right, that's good. I'm suspecting we got caught by our own "flatness hype". Maybe a good practice could be: use -5 settings when you don't shoot skin tones, use 0 when you do?

• I've been fairly happy with the skin tones I've been getting out of the GH3. I use the standard profile and bring sharpness and noise reduction all the way down and leave everything else alone. Don't really bother with grading as the results I've been getting right out of the camera are pretty good.