Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Interesting rare and unknown cinematography movies
  • I have just seen this movie:

Tony Takitani http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420260/

And i was mind blown about how coherent the cinematography was to the drama at hand, everything makes sense, quite a sad story and with an open ending, so perhaps not really appealing to a mass audience, but it has a beautiful cinematography, that proyects what the main characters feels really well, It is alo interesting for the budget filmmakers, as the style is really minimalistic and yet interesting.

Does anyone has other cinematography jewls, that are not really well known?

• 40 Replies sorted by
  • For all no-budget DSLR shooters I suggest Leos Carax's "Mauvais Sang": very interesting cinematography, only long lenses used (I daresay 35 mm on GH2), "hand-held shhoting style, lots of close ups, but framed in an original way. In the 80s 1,33 format was revalued, and a part from old TV-like shots, this format let to frame more freely..widescreen present more rigid composition rules..

• @paddy jajja that is a no-go for me i live in southamerica jajaja, but thank you for your consideration

• ajjaja Conan the barbarian jajaj i have never seen the complete movie, but i will now jajjaja

(i dont know how unkown is this one but i´m from Chile and not too much european films are seen here, so)

Paradise:Love ; i find interesting the use of wideangles and fisheyes, they do give a sort of unpleasent and yet calm atmosphere, the framing with the wideangles is whta i find most cinematographically interesting of this movie

• The original Conan The Barbarian. Seriously.

There are periods in the movie that have only music and no dialogue but the action on the screen tell you everything you need to know. It's a great study in how blocking and framing can make fairly bad acting look really good on film.

• Have you seen Themroc ?

• Always been a big WKW fan. Guy doesn't get the praise like he should because their not blockbuster hits. But watching each frame is a composition in itself.

• La Grande Bellezza - The Great Beauty

Luca Bigazzi , Cinematographer

Trailer

REVIEWS:

Everything in the film is masterful: the photography, flying/flowing camerawork and editing; the dialogue and the acting; the music selection and its seamless editing; the deliberately thin plot that nevertheless keeps propelling the film forward; the many characters, sub-characters and sundry types; how the sublime is constantly yet effortlessly juxtaposed to the ridiculous; the overall wit and lightness of touch; and finally Rome herself, the eternal city, so insufferably, infuriatingly, absurdly yet nonchalantly beautiful, from her most celebrated sights down to her most recondite places.

http://disinfo.com/2013/12/great-beauty-high-culture-without-highbrowness/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/great-beauty/review/526135

• @flablo Guy Maddin has an unique style, indeed. On vimeo you can find a making of where is documented his cinematography too ( super8, 16mm,vintage emulsion and vaseline!). His last film, "Keyhole", was shooted on a Canon 5d handheld (you can note a rough amount of rollng shutter ahaha).

A real eccentric and genial cinematographer is Mario Masini, who has worked with the Italian artist and director Bene in the sixties, making 5 low budget films shooted on 16mm and screened in international festival like Cannes.

Another director with interesting cinematography is no doubt Raoul Ruiz. Watch his "City of Pirates", full of surreal shots with a very low budget, and a peculiar use of wide angle.

A real masterpiece in terms of cinematography. though not experimental cinematography, is the rare film by the Italian couple of directors Ciprì & Maresco, titled "Totò who lived twice": you can recognize in it the wonderful style of the great black and white italian films of the 60s (expecially Pasolini) with a touch of Bunuel.

• Guy Maddin. I find him fantastic. Style is peculiar for sure

• OK I'll bite... though for me these are "mind-blowing little known cinematography jewels" for various reasons, not (or not only) for the cinematography but also for the scenario, the editing, a superb style idea or their intrinsic beauty, whatever...

• Nostalgia de la luz (Patricio Guzmán, Chili/France, 2010)
    • Medium Cool (Haskell Wexler, USA, 1968)
    • La primera carga al machete (Manuel Octavio Gómez, Cuba, 1969).
    • Kiss of the Spider Woman (Hector Babenco, USA/Brasil, 1985)
    • Maladie mortelle (François Weyergans, Belgium, 1977)
    • Le joli mai (Chris Marker/Pierre Lhomme, France, 1962)
    • Silent Light (Carlos Reygadas, Mexico, 2007)

@ lolo: dunno where on earth you are, but "Le cou de la girafe" is sometimes shown in one of those small independant theaters in Paris that show several "classic" indie movies every day, all day long...

• @jazzroy

change the topic's title or everybody goes on putting off topic movies..

+1

saluti Ric

PS
    Okay you've changed it already, kiul

• @lolo change the topic's title or everybody goes on putting off topic movies..

• Dont look now Anthony B. Richmond

Peeping Tom Otto Heller, B.S.C.

The Nanny Harry waxman

Hausu (house) Yoshitaka Sakamoto ..........very experimental film with some lovely cinematography.

Let the right one in Hoyte Van Hoytema

• +1 Blade Runner - my 2nd favorite film of all time. "I need ya, Deck. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic."

Actor who uttered that line (M. Emmett Walsh) was also in a great movie, that looks just beautiful. It's called "Straight Time". Dustin Hoffman in 1978 just killing it - a must see. Don't sleep on this one. Here's a clip:

• In The Mood For Love

Ashes of Time

Days of Being Wild

The Grandmaster

What Time Is It Over there?

The Return (the one by Andrey Zvyagintsev)

The Banishment

• Dudes, this topic is about cinematography jewels, movies that are not really well known but cinematographically interesting

• The films that still influence me are

Blade Runner

Delicatessen

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Amelie

• nice one maxr!

• Interview with cinematographer Gordon Willis ASC, discussing his work on The Godfather, Annie Hall, Stardust Memories, Manhattan and All The President's Men, and other films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Willis

• The Conformist (1970) has stunning cinematography. It was shot by a master - Vittorio Storaro. I love this film.

• La antena.

I was looking for a trailer

and I found the actual film, but without subtitles and only 240p:

• So maybe its not that unknown as a foreign film(But I am in America) --- I am blown away by "a Very Long Engagement"...Incredible cinematography by Bruno Delbonnel

I cant seem to find anything above 480p on web though.