Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • @From_Paris thank you for that, videos/films like this are what keeps nurturing my dreams... they're rare though

• Agreed, looking pretty good @Mikelinn (though still has that touch of crispness/oversharpening I feel with 5D3 raw footage), but subject matter is scary haha.

• @mikelinn --- great images, bit too scary for me though.

• Oz: I really like the look of this vid, but what are the specs??

• Some anamorphic 50d raw.

• Does anyone have cr2hdr.exe running on their Mac via Wine or Mono etc?

Kinda painful how Mac dev is lagging behind Windows...

• http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/135493#Comment_135493

Interestingly, I found the cleanest ISOs for basically anything below 640. At 640, noise goes up significantly.

In fact it is not the noise which jumps up at ISOs 640-800-1000 (stdev is 7.7 vs 6.7 at ISOs 250-400-500, it is a gradual increase not a jump) but the "Black Level" (goes up from 2047 to 2057). The bad thing is that ML which at the start of each session calculates the "Black Level" by averaging the raw level from the side "optically black pixels" calculated it at 2047 and this was reported at the related exif tag so any raw converter uses this 2047 as black clipping point which gives as result the visually amplified noise. You can try changing this Black Level in exif data (use exiftool - exitoolgui for this) to see the correct picture ..

If you could upload black frames recorded as "RAW DNG silent pics" which include this "optically black" area, we could see if there is any inconsistency between the optically black area and the black frame's body..

• Version 2 of the new Magic Lantern Video file format for RAW video - .mlv. Here's what its about. Includes g3gg0's excellent new text input idea.

• Think so.

• @driftwood

I've been using Rawanizer on my Windows machine for the past two months and it seems to do everything you referenced in your Son of Batch post. I love how it simultaneously converts my RAW files to dng and half-res proxies; I can't think of a reason someone wouldn't want to work this way. Is Rawanizer only available for Windows?

• @QuickHitRecord Interesting results. Im sure I read somewhere on ML fm that ISO 1600 is the 5DMKIII's noise ceiling and anything above it is pretty shitty. I'll have to locate that and take a second look.

• Most folks tend to think that noise increases linearly with ISO but that isn't how it works out on the GH2 and, apparently, not on the 5D either. That jump at 640 though is rather surprising. It almost implies you might as well just jump up to ISO2500 if you're going to be between that and 640, from a noise standpoint. I know effective DR is also shifting in that range as well so it's not as simple as just operating based on noise. That's just a mighty big jump though.

• @eatstoomuchjam That's what I am getting. Though, it's more of a fixed noise pattern the higher up I go. Also, the way the noise is distributed is not always even, so these little thumbnails aren't going to be as telling as flipping through a bunch of stills (or video clips).

• @QuickHitRecord Something seems off in your results. ISO 2500/3200 are really that much less noisy than ISO 640?

• Here is a less compressed version that should be easier to see.

ISO_Test2.png
    1275 x 1651 - 1M
  • I'm sure that someone has already done a side-by-side lens cap ISO test between the 5D's H264 and Raw, but I wasn't able to find it so I made my own.

Interestingly, I found the cleanest ISOs for basically anything below 640. At 640, noise goes up significantly.

I realize that I have omitted ISO 10000 and 12800, but they didn't fit on the page (and I never use them anyway).

ISO_Test.png
    612 x 792 - 165K
  • New OSX way to batch process your .RAW files for the Canon ML RAW hack.

Son of Batch now allows preview of RAW files prior to conversion to DNG. Plus WB adjustment, joining RAW files, create proxys at half res to work quickly and backups.

http://tshit.de/Son_of_Batch_OSX-68.zip

sonofbatch.png
    1212 x 663 - 248K
  • No. A1ex removed WAV capability a while ago due to sound sync issues. I'm unaware of a capability to write an h.264 proxy while recording RAW. Which option turns that on? I'd probably play with it a bit.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7049

edit: h.264 proxy was requested, but I don't see any response saying it was ever implemented: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5860.msg56216#msg56216

• I believe on the 5D3 you can record a WAV file on the SD card while recording RAW on the CF card, or you could record a H.264 proxie with audio on the SD card while recording RAW on the CF card. I think you can do this with other ML camera's too, if just takes away from the SD/CF write speed since it'll be on the same card as the RAW making you have to choose a lower resolution of RAW.

• Does audio need to be recorded externally for RAW or is the WAV saved alongside the clip?