Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood - Sounds like Interlace 2013 :)

@balazer - Can you post a link to this info about the BM sensor?

• An exposure is when you expose the sensor to light by opening the shutter. That only happens once with this technique. Or if you prefer another definition of exposure, it's how much light is allowed to fall on the sensor. There's still only one level of exposure with this technique. What there's two of is gain settings. Gain is not part of exposure. Of course there are HDR techniques that use two exposures.

It's bad enough that we already have two definitions of exposure. Let's not make up a third one. :)

BMCC sensor: http://www.scmos.com/files/high/scmos_white_paper_8mb.pdf

BMPCC sensor: http://www.fairchildimaging.com/files/data_sheet_cis_1910f_0.pdf

The two Blackmagic sensors do read-out the same way. See page 7 of the white paper.

• @balazer

It seems like just ADC gain setting. With core issue being that camera in high speed modes can make internal cutting and saving bandwidth. Or it is just some weird ADC.

@Ralph_B

You can just go back to original BMCC topics. Btw, on direct question about double ADCs they told that it is all private and they won't confirm or reject.

• OK. Lets not argue about it. It depends which way you want to look it. Basically each of the two analog amplifiers are programmed to take a user-defined ISO 'exposure' (e.g. ISO 100 / ISO 1600).

build link for 5dmkiii: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7QlH_BH2m32aWFxbm9DNkliS0E&usp=sharing

• @driftwood is this just private testing for now? I'm in Paris for a couple more weeks and sure would like to shoot some footage with it, if it's available!

• Is it true that BMCC does this?

@Oedipax: Thread and download link here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139

• @fatpig, thanks! I searched the forum but didn't find that thread.

The moiré gives me pause though... I think I'll wait a bit and see what the footage looks like. I've only found a low light interior sample so far, not very compelling.

• Here's a quick test of how it looks pre processed (using MagicRAW7b) - ML RAW Dual ISO on the left showing ISO 100 and ISO 800 in action. The right hand side is using ISO 400 straight RAW.

DR test using ML raw Dual ISO.png
    2092 x 984 - 1M
  • The aliasing seems to be very bad on the video above. There also seems to be a loss in resolution.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

They both look terrible. You can accomplish the same thing with the GH3 by using the High Dynamic range mode. It will boost the gain in the shadow areas and reduce the gain for the highlights all with the same exposure duration.

What I am waiting for is one that will truly adjust the exposure duration of each pixel during each frame. For stabilized, low light, low motion video that would be great.

• @driftwood Just a quick clarification - the "radioactive look" has nothing to do with HDR, bracketed, exposures, etc. Nothing at all.

It is a purely a function of certain tonemapping algorithms and can be achieved on single exposure LDR sources both quickly and easily.

As someone who frequently shoots well over 600,000 timelapse exposures in a year (with a large percentage of them bracketed HDR) I cannot emphasize enough how completely the look is dependent on the approach to post-processing and specifically to the tonemapping algorithm and settings used.

So, once again - the "radioactive look" has NOTHING to do with HDR. It has to do with people doing garrish things with tonemapping. Okay, done now. :)

• @thepalalias That was all quoted from a1ex's explanation but Im sure many here will appreciate your clarification.

Here's a quick dual ISO test I did yesterday. Still artefacts showing up (see trees) in the raw2dng interp of these dual ISO takes - and of course the loss in vertical resolution. Perhaps this 'trick' is best left for photos.

• @driftwood Looks like it's got definite potential - it's coming along quicker than I might have expected. :) Thanks for sharing the very useful test clip.

• Great stuff, great potential.

Btw Nick, just out of curiosity, are you officially a ML member/developer? :)

• Great lill' 5DMKIII ML RAW video here. Especially the last shot.

• @Driftwood would you invest on m43 Panasonic glass today? I'm torn (I own Pana 35-100 2.8 and Panaleica 25 1.4 which are superb and IMO understimated for cinema) and asking myself which path to take i.e. invest on 12-35 2.8 and BM Pocket Camera or switch back to Canon. I love my GH3 (and GH2) but sometimes I feel overwhelmed by its numerous settings which lead to so many different results. Ok sorry that came up more of a rant than a question so never mind :). Keep up the great work and thanks for your commitment

• Just finished up an interview shot on both the 5DM3 (CU) and the 50D (Medium). The cameras worked well together, but looking back I would have made the 50D the CU camera in order to avoid the moire. However, I just updated the 50D to the July 11th build and tested the crop mode at 1920 1:85 and it recorded continuously on my 32GB KomputerBay 1000X CF for 5gb before I stopped it! This is great! I'll be sure to use this crop mode next time when I shoot alongside the 5DM3.

[vimeo]

• Shot with the Gregory July 11th build. Camera was in crop mode with the resolution set to 1920x818 (2.35). The following are the settings: fps: 23.976 shutter: 1/48 iso: 100 color profile: standard (3,0,0,0) HacKed Mode

I was able to achieve continuous recording up to 1.85 aspect ratio using a KomputerBay 32GB 1000X.

Post-Processing: dng's were created with Rawanizer. Grading was done in ACR, with a final pass performed in Color Finesse 3. h.264 was created in Adobe Media Encoder CC.

• @flablo Whatever does it for you really. Looking at some of the footage coming out of the BM Pocket it does look rather splendid and its nice n cheap. Just dunno how long it would take to get one. Ive been messing with the 5D3 ML RAW and its a remarkable hack. However, the price of the cam plus lenses if you don't already own them is going to be steep. Personally, I wouldn't sell / wait and see for a few months and judge reactions from consumers. I really wanna do my own comparative tests.

• @Driftwood thanks for the reply. I was impressed by recent BM Pocket footage as well. GH3 footage sometimes looks too much like those re-colored b&w movies.The BM Pocket together with Panny 12-25 and 35-100 could be a killer combination. And the "pocketability" of the whole thing is definitely an added value for me.

• Shot RAW on the 5DM3 and 50D using the Magic Lantern Hack. The 5DM3 was shot at 1920x1038 (1.85). The 50D was shot at 1920x1038 resolution in cropped mode to match the 5D. A pair of 64GB 1000X KomputerBay CF cards were used for the shoot. The ratio of 5D/50D is approximately 60/40. Can you tell which shots are which?

The RAW files were converted to dng sequences with Rawanizer ver 0.5.5. DNxHD proxies were used to edit the footage in Adobe Premiere CC. Once edited, the sequence was brought into Adobe After Effects CC via Dynamic Link and the proxies were replaced with the RAW footage. First light color correction was done in ACR, and additional corrections were performed in AE. All compositing was performed within AE. Gorilla Grain was added to the final output.

• Does audio need to be recorded externally for RAW or is the WAV saved alongside the clip?

• I believe on the 5D3 you can record a WAV file on the SD card while recording RAW on the CF card, or you could record a H.264 proxie with audio on the SD card while recording RAW on the CF card. I think you can do this with other ML camera's too, if just takes away from the SD/CF write speed since it'll be on the same card as the RAW making you have to choose a lower resolution of RAW.