Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • Hello :) My video from G6:

• Here is a test of the Monochrome photo style on the G6, in case anyone is interested in shooting B&W in-camera for any projects. I have one coming up, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to share the test results here as well. As usual, make sure to turn the quality all the way up and watch in full screen mode.

@prz3mo Your videos look great! Beautiful vibrant colors in the second one while maintaining nice-looking skin tones.

• I've got Highlights on now (only works in playback showing first frame) and have read on how to use the histogram.

Problem I have got is that ISO does not seem to be working in video mode. I played back two videos on the LCD, one recorded at 160 and the other at 64000, and both were exactly the same (they looked the same whilst recording too of course).

At ISO 64k you would expect a blown out image. ISO works fine when taking pictures. Is it a fault with my camera or is there a setting I need to change?

• Nice footage prz3mo

• @qadri What mode are you in when you're recording video? Creative Video Mode (what the manual movie mode is called in the G6 documentation) should give you complete control over all the recording parameters and you will definitely see a difference between the highest and lowest ISO settings. Is it possible you have the camera set to automatically adjust the aperture? If so, it will choose a higher f-stop as you increase the ISO to compensate, and a lower f-stop as you decrease the ISO.

Apologies if these are things you already checked, but it's good to rule out possibilities.

• Bit of G6 black and white...watch in hd

• @GoldHouseMedia - oh my. I was doing video recordings in M mode on the dial till now. I ignored movie mode because I could not change settings in it but I have now set exposure mode to "M" and I can set the aperture and shutter myself. (It was set to P before and I notice that changing ISO in P makes little difference, I think this is because it is adjusting other settings). Feel pretty stupid for not figuring this out myself earlier but then again I'm only just getting into this and have no previous experience with DSLR-M. Thanks a lot!

While I have your attention can I just check that I'm recording at the optimum quality? I'm going for the cinema look that most use so that would be AVCHD FHD 24p? There is also the setting above which is 25p? Which one should I choose and what's the difference. Thank you.

• In movie mode if I turn Highlights on in the menu you can actually see blown out areas before you hit records (as opposed to playback in other modes) so that's excellent.

• Excellent work @prz3mo. Loved seeing what's going on in Poland.

• @prz3mo nice vids. What lenses did you use? Especially for the darker shots in the first video.

• Thanx all ;) Lens used in this two videos - kit 14-42PZ, Panas 20/1.7 II and Oly 45/1.8. Dark scenes - Panas 20/1.7 II

• This is my first post so hello everyone :)! I'm thinking about buying second camera. I have read your posts here about Panasonic G6 and it sounds to be very interesting. I'm using now Panasonic GH3 which for me is marvelous. Can somebody provide here any "raw" footage from G6 (uploaded file, not from YT or Vimeo etc.)? Especially recorded in low light situation? This is not modified clip which I recorded in Kolkata last month in low light situation: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cp8d2k Can you tell me if G6 is able to record somthing like that? (I mean quality and without too many artifacts). Thank you!

• @prz3mo - just curious, did you use a loupe for the motorcycle video or the built in evf and lcd screen?

• Anybody used one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200944740411?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I need it for my Canon 50mm 1.4 fd and the panny 14-40.

Any alternatives people are using would be cool

• @nrisimha, here are my two clips directly from the G6 with the kit lens last summer. download the original mp4 file to play with.

vimeo.com/69352700 outdoor overexposed

vimeo.com/69351783 indoor iso 1600

Cheers, Pete

• This is my first time posting on Personal View. I got my G6 in December and I just finished this yo-yo video tonight where 95% of the shots are from my G6. Thought you guys might want to check it out.

• Thank you Pete! It is very kind of you that you provide me with this links. I see that G6 has potential. If it will be hack then it will be the killer. But at this point GH3 is far superior. But at one point it sucks because it hasn't focus peaking...well, and the price... I wonder if Pana is going to lower prices after GH4 hit the market.

• @thomasesmith - nice video. The sound is a real let down though. A lapel mic attached to the shirt would have been much better. Or even a handheld audio recorder/dictatphone in the front pocket would be better.

• @Qadri Yeah the sound was a letdown to me too. I actually did use a lavaliere mic, one with a pretty big windscreen on it. I also had on the high pass mode. It was just no match for the beach wind that we were getting on that tall building where we shot the interview portion. The actual solution would have been to find a less windy area to conduct the interview, but this was my first time doing something like this and there's no way to monitor the audio live through the G6 with headphones. At least not one that I know of. But hey, you live you learn. Next time!

• Cheers OBgene,

Have you found that 3 stops is enough for outdoor shooting? I want to get a polarizer too, the Hoya's are a good price!

• @thomasesmith - yes, would not have been much to add a 3.5mm headphone out but Panasonic have left things out to make people go for the bigger models (GH3/GH4). I'm planning on getting the Tascam DR-60D as it has the headphone monitoring but also much better pre-amps to improve the sounds, with XLR inputs so you can attach high quality mics.

• @Qadri That AT Pro-70 mic I used actually is a high quality mic. And it has dedicated preamp pack that outputs a line level signal, so the camera didn't have to take on that burden of amping it up. But I did have to adapt the output connector down from XLT to 3.5mm. But yeah a proper field sound recorder is on the top of my list of things to buy. The Tascam DR-60D looks pretty slick but I'll probably go with something a little lighter weight like a Zoom. Something that can mount on my shoulder rig. @Qadri do you have a Vimeo channel or anywhere you post your videos up?

• @nrisimha The gh3 is a better build for sure, as far as image quality goes, it's about the same. the gh3 seems to be a tiny bit sharper in 1080 60p, I actually think the g6 has a nicer image than the gh3. To each is their own I guess.