Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • I was in my shop yestarday and they dont have panas 20mm but only olympus 17mm...and I dont know what to do. Buy olympus or look for panas in another shop ?

• Wich version? 2.8 or 1.8? Anyway, the olympus should be more expensive than the 20mm (and is a great lens)...so, you know..

• Olympus 17mm 1.8....and it is 30 eur cheaper than panas 20mm 1.7

• As I understand it, the autofocus on that 20 is relatively slow, while the 17 focuses exceptionally quickly, and they're both good glass otherwise.

On the matter of a G6 firmware update:

"Color accuracy, however, was another story completely. We got mixed results from the G6. JPEG color profiles were inconsistent and exhibited unexplained changes in accuracy from one test to another. Under the exact same lab conditions, we saw wider variance than we’re used to, especially considering the G5’s dead-on color accuracy performance. Granted, problems like this with a new camera can be easily and quickly resolved with a firmware update, but it was unnerving to say the least."

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/panasonic-lumix-g6-digital-camera-review

Sounds like a legitimate gripe Panasonic might feel pressured to address with a firmware update. I hope so, as I'm more interested in a hacked G6 than even a GH3, largely for the bang-buck ratio. I'm even more interested in stock G6 than GH3, tho there don't seem to be any body-only or 14-140 kits available for order in the US at this time.

• In my shop there is g6 only with kit 14-42 but i dont know what this lens is...I or II. I would like buy extra panasonic 20mm but they have only olympus 17mm....and i have a problem...Buy it or search somewhere else this panas 20mm.

• Take the olympus, and if you can, buy the body only. The Kit Lens is not bad but nothing so good.

• The dont sold only body...i must buy with kit and I can buy another lens...ok so I go tomorrow once again i now i hope i will buy it :)

• @Renovatio

Check topic title, please. And post in approproate topics that we have.

• I'm having big problems with my G6: all lenses have a "Unsharp mask"-ish dark halo to the left (?) of bright objects. Any one else with these issues?

• oscillian

what settings are you using? avchd ? or mpeg? what shutter speed? what aperture? what iso ? what color profile? what kelvin color temperature? what lenses ?

with all this info then someone may be able to help you

• @andy_lee Settings are described in video:

AVCHD 50p ISO 160 Shutter 1/50 Photo Style: Natural: -5,0,0,-5 First clip: Olympus 45mm f1.8 @f1.8 Second clip: Lumix 14-140mm, 14mm@ f4

MPEG 50p export straight from Premiere

Oh, WB: Cloudy

• Anyone know image resolution sent over wifi? I'm loving the remote function but thinking of getting a tablet with hdmi out so I could, hopefully, relay the image to watch live on a larger screen than the tablet.

• @oscillian

Please do not make parallel talks due to crossposting. Use one place.

• try using avchd 24p , i always use that setting - is there any reason why you are shooting avchd 50p if you are not intending it to be slowed down in half speed slo mo ? and try Natural as a stock setting without dialing -5,0,0,-5 I always avoid mpeg as I dont like its codec

• Problem with Peaking: When I activite the peaking function it deactivites when I change sharpness in portrait mode. I have to go back in the meny to activite the peakfunction..only my camera or any one else ? firmware upgrade? If you try to shoot flat-5-5-5-5 you barely see the peaking..at least on Fd lenses

• Aah..I found the problem..the fn3 button is on/of for the peaking..odd Place..as it also is the return from the meny Sorry Vitaliy..didn´t see that

• Answering my own question, if anyone is interested, Panasonic say the image is transmitted over wifi at the size the camera is set to.

• as I am unexperienced with video, after these some reviews, do you think is a good choice over the GH2? (I did read all posts but) I can't make a decision... Previously an other member asked (@mjfan): does it have "live view" similar functions for external monitor connectivity while recording?

• No live view via hdmi...only playback..you can get live view via wifi..but is not like a real monitor...you can rec and even control the zoom if you have the powerzoom lens via wifi..but as I said it´s not like viewing thru a hdmi monitor

• @woolhats "not like a real monitor" Can you elaborate? Due to latency (aka: image delay?) or something else?

• well..It is delay..(not so much) but if you are gonna do focus or other critical adjustments..look at the lcd screen on the camera instead..it´s ok to use..say you wanna take a Picture of you and your friends (or a video) you can hold your smartphone or ipad and stand in front of the camera..but as a replacement for a hdmi monitor..no!!