Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
14-140mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic zoom lens, 2013 version
  • 81 Replies sorted by
  • @Vesku sorry I had not seen your post !

very strange issue ! But I'm still thinking about OIS ! Unfortunately I do not have the same lens to be able to do a test

• Couple of new tests. You all with that lens should be worried.

https://vimeo.com/user23310531/videos

• Here is mine at 140mm

• Thanks for your example.

Your sample video is not very stable either. It vibrates somehow like mine. Does it vibrate noticeably at 14mm?.

My Pana 100-300mm lens is completely stable and not vibrating at 140mm when handheld carefully.

• Here is test with 14-140mm II and 14-140mm original

• @ntsan

Thank you very much for your help. With your clips I can confirm that my lens OIS is not working properly. I made a comparison of 100-300mm and 14-140mm mk2 at 140mm in my vimeo page.

https://vimeo.com/user23310531/videos

• I am still wondering if this lens is generally bad for video. i collected some examples of fast vibration with this lens. Can you see the vibration in these videos?

first clip

(this is a very good example)

at 1:58

(at 1:27)

(at 1:11 and 1:20)

(at 0:45)

(at 1:13)

I am going to be very worried that my issue is every ones issue.

No stable video with this lens without a tripod.

• So I now visited my store where I bought my 14-140 II. They had those lenses but they could not open boxes so I was not able to test another copy of that lens. That is a pity but I still tested their demo piece of 12-35mm which has the same kind of POWER OIS.

The result was stunning: My 14-140 II and the 12-35 gave exactly the same jitter at 14mm. It was clearly visible at 2k. I had my old 14-42mm also and in comparison it was clearly the best. No vibration at all at 14mm handheld.

This is beginning to be very interesting. The camera experts of the store personnel were shocked by this result. At least one of them has GH4 and 12-35mm and he promised to make his own tests and report to Panasonic about this issue. There were 4 experts and each of them admit that there is an issue of Panasonic POWER OIS.

I would be very happy if the owners of Pana POWER OIS lenses could report if they can see this vibration when trying to shoot stationary video handheld. The issue is not present when shooting "amateur style" sweeping and panning and zooming nervously.

It would be very odd co-incident if those two lenses we tested would be faulty ones.

People may think that some shakiness is OK with handheld video. I say that if one shoot carefully at widest end (12-14mm) it shoud be very stable. That kind of vibration is not acceptable with even cheapest camcorders. Why should we tolerate it with high end gear that costs thousands of dollars.

• I have a the famous shutter shock issue plaguing the 14-42pz and now the 14-140mk2 (with and without OIS activated, do you think it's related with the O.I.S vibration ? BTW no shutter shock when using e-shutter. But clearly the SS issue comes from a bad OIS (moving part inside the lense prone to vibration)

• @CNek

Thanks for feedback

Could you shoot a handheld video clip at 14mm trying to hold image carefully stationary. Can you see a little rapid vibration in that video clip. If the lens works properly the clip should be very stable without no jitter or vibration almost like in tripod. My 14-140 II jitters when shooting stationary at 14mm. I tested 12-35mm at store and it jitters too. My 14-42mm has not jitter. The jitter you should see is rapid 1-2 pixel random jumps in video generated by OIS system. You must watch it at close distance.

Could you report your findings.

Thanks.

• I found another example from Youtube.

No tripod. See how image is very still like in tripod but jitters still badly. If you cant see this micro jitter and if it is not disturbing I wonder what are your quality expectations and standards.

Is this acceptable?

• I just got a notice from the official austrian support company, that panasonic is aware of that problem, and IS working on it. so there is hope that the 14-140mm MK2 will get the same fix as the 12-35mm just got

• @guelinator

What is really happening with last Panasonic zooms stabilizers?

• @guelinator

hope that the 14-140mm MK2 will get the same fix as the 12-35mm just got

Can you clarify this? The 12-35mm lens received a firmware upgrade about 15 months ago, but it was to fix a jitter when the OIS wasn't engaged.

I'm with @Vitaliy_Kiselev - From what I've seen posted on this web site and others, I think there is a problem with Panny's Power OIS on their recent zoom lenses when taking movies hand-held. I've seen the "micro jitter" in movie footage from the 35-100mm, 12-35mm and now the 14-140mm MK2.

At least the Power OIS in 12-35mm and 35-100mm holds up well in photos. Unfortunately, the 14-140mm MK2 suffers (horribly) from "shutter shock" - so much so that I always use electronic shutter by default with that lens unless my shutter speed is faster than 1/400.

• My frustrating workflow now with handheld 14-140mm II shots: Sony Movie Studio 13 and light stabilization for EVERY clip. That is very time consuming and difficult because that editor lets you stabilize just one clip at time and then I must wait. Then second clip and waiting......etc...

I have shooted handheld GH4 30P 4k files with relatively high shutter speeds (1/100s - 1/160s). With slow camera movements and light stabilization (Sony MS 13) motion and stability is very good when watching with modern TV with motion enhancements. 30P motion is very convincing and lifelike if there are no rapid action or panning. When I stabilize GH4 60P files shooted with high shutter speeds the results are jello free and smooth because GH4 60P has very low rolling shutter effect and there is no motion blur to ruin flawless motion experience.

Almost all that convincing motion experience is lost when watching with computer monitor because it smooths every little movement to SD level of resolution. So result looks like sharp-soft-sharp-soft depending on camera or subject movement.

• One owner of 35-100 f2.8 has reported the same issue.

• One more unhappy from vimeo:

Paul-Louis Pietz Pröve

".........since you seem to be in contact with Panasonic, can you maybe hit them back with a couple of things? those being: -OIS works terrible with 14-140mm & 35-100mm lenses, because of jittering...."

• @Vesku

Please keep it to the issues topic we have.

• Not very many seems to use this lens for video.

• I just tried out ProDad Mercalli SAL v4.0 which not only stabilize video for motion, but can also analyze jitter/wobble caused by cmos-sensor-readout and high-frequency-motion. Until now i was not able to correct that kind of video with after fx/deshaker or anything, but Mercalli SAL v4.0 seems to do a tremendous job. It takes half an hour for just a short video, but at least it works quite good. Checkout the stabilized version of my video:

If you stabilize this video with after-fx you get a stable video with constant skew's across the frame, truly unwatchable Mercalli SAL is a little bit pricy, but so far it's the only thing that could help me with OIS Jitter

• Lets collect bad video examples of that lens. Some are saying that there are just bad copies in the market. Lets proof that the issue is global.

• I sense the frustration ! I have the problem lens's as well, and I can't believe Panasonic released junk like this for a lot of money. I think it would be helpful to see video of a handheld lens that does not exhibit the issue. That would mean there are copies out there that work, and points to shoddy quality control or manufacturer tolerances . But I'm not surprised really.... I had a Sony 3d camcorder that had a soft focus on the left eye. The Sony repair facility emailed back and forth with me, and claimed they could not see the problem. Amazing.

Panasonic will only address the issue if popular photo media outlets start bad mouthing the product. It's all about money. If it's only discussed on tech. forums then it's wouldn't effects sales much. Not worth fixing. But if it becomes more prominent in media, they will look into it. I'm going to CES in a week, if I see Panasonic I'll try to embarrass the guys in the booth with this issue.

• @redgamma

Thanks for post.

I cant understand why there is no review site which recognizes this issue. The big photo review sites like Imaging Resource or Dpreview concentrates heavily to photos and they dont seem to see the video faults. The majority of camera buyers is in the same boat. Besides many people has weak monitors and then all fullhd videos looks about the same.