Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
18% grey reflector for colour balance / exposure
  • I've seen one by Lastolite - seems to get good reviews from stills photographers. Anyone used one of these (or similar) for video? Worth getting?
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Cool - I've seen those dark box things in the middle of studio camera line-up charts, and had forgotten about them. Thanks for the interesting link; I've found even my makeshift grey reference is very useful - as Vitaliy says, particularly in mixed lighting. I've only ever used white balance using white paper before, but the grey makes more sense.
  • If I'm ever unsure I still use a grey card and spot light meter. (Got to make myself one of those "Black Hole" boxes to really test if my new bellows-style lens hoods are really keeping out most of that stray light).
    http://www.imatest.com/docs/veilingglare.html
    veiling_detail.jpg
    300 x 144 - 13K
  • You do not need true Lastolite, just buy chinese stuff.
    I have one and it is ok. Useful if you'll have mixed lighting and set WB at certain place, for example.
  • Hey - I'm even cheaper than that! I've just found a piece of foam which is darkish grey and non-shiny and makes colours look perfect. I'll still buy a Lastolite at some point, but the foam makes a great cushion for the bottom of the camera bag when not in use!
  • Bunch of this stuff at ebay is available.
    Cheap as hell.
    Useful sometimes.