Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PTool v3.62d topic
  • 327 Replies sorted by
  • I have some settings for you to try. These are for 24H mode. Basically the bitrate is doubled and quantization is set to "most to details". Additionally three tester patches are set - like the bitrate, they are doubled. What these patches do is increase the absolute maximum frame size. Normally, this defaults to 8 megabits, which is too low for bitrates that have been increased much. The result is that I frames come out smaller than they should for optimum results. You might have noticed that with boosted bitrates the ratio between I frames and P and B frames gets smaller. These patches are intended to improve that, making the ratio more correct. I have done limited testing of this, so any additional testing you guys want to do would be great. One test might be to triple the bitrate to 66M and triple the tester patch values from the defaults. I've attached a settings file.

Video Bitrate 24H = 44000000
    Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes = 3-Most to details
    1080p24 FB1 = 1566720
    1080p24 Frame Limit = 15728640
    1080p24 FB2 = 1968046

Chris
    setb.zip
    365B
  • @OSGondar

I haven't had a chance to try the low GOP yet. One thing - Vitaliy has improved the way that works considerably. I would recommend to test that without also setting all the additional tester patches that used to be necessary. Maybe they aren't needed any more.

Chris
  • Just shot some tests with VK highest's settings. Used GOP3 and 2 more to details in 1080. Very nice shadow-details indeed! You guys fixed one of the main shortcomings of GH2, t.i. blackened shadows! I am so glad there are no glitches anymore @ the beginning! Camera writes really a lot faster to card c.t. Ptools 1.61 with same settings and gives therefore a much more stable impression/feeling and workspeed on scene!!
  • Great work on the lattest ptool for the GH2 guys. Any chance of getting some of the new GH2 features working on the GH1
  • Perhaps the silliest question, some where saying that the gh2 banding (8bit mainly seen in sky) was a bit more pronounced than other camera and that it was perhaps because of the codec (low bitrate on static scene or large uniform surface). Perhaps it was dropping too much because of the codec settings and that perhaps a lower fixed bit-rate would help reduce it. Has anyone seen if there is any difference now.
  • @cbrandin shouldn't your 1080p24 Frame Limit = 15728460 not 1572840?
  • @OSGondar

Right. Sorry -fat fingers. I fixed the typo, the set file is correct, however.

Chris
  • @Angry_C True for 24H 32mbit but at the same time 24L 26mbit had. Now it is OK.
  • Chris,
    Man, I have to go on a business trip to California. I'm wanting so badly to try the new ptool!
    I won't be able to until this Saturday afternoon. ;(

I will try your 3X thoughts for 24H outlined below:

24H @ 66mbps, 6 GOP, Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes = 3-Most to details
    1080p24 FB1 = 2350080
    1080p24 Frame Limit = 23592960
    1080p24 FB2 = 2952069

thxs again
    Steve
  • @proaudio4 I already addressed that typo always refresh before posting and #2 i am using x3 settings and so far visually i notice improvement but in stream parser the frames look similar, I have to do more testing to compare accurately like in real world setting later today, at the very least i can report that x3 no crashes or hang ups so thus far stable good looking setting.
  • This is not professional test but I see constant behaviour of codec after 34 frame.Settings are from cbrandin 66Mbit suggestion.
    P.S. GOP 6
    Michal
    Cbrandin 66Mbit.JPG
    1289 x 768 - 159K
  • >If so, we owe Vitaliy and Chris a rack of brew!

Especially Chris.
    First, because without him this version couldn't be released.
    Second because he is spending his time answering your questions in this topic today.
    During his birthday. Insane, isn't it?
  • @Mihuel
    @OSGondar

Please use Extreme Settings topic for this, ok?
  • Happy birthday to you Chris!!
  • Happy BDay Chris, thank you for your hard work guys:]
  • Thanks guys.

Chris
  • As someone who has not been following this since the GH1 days, how many versions of PTools do you expect to release before settling on a final version?
  • @B3Guy
    It may also depend on you :-) and Vitaliy and Chris. Of course you can hire Vitaliy to this project so he I can allocate 100% of time on it ;-). This is very hard work.
  • New ideas keep coming up. My guess is that there will be several more. I think this was the "bug fix" versions with some new stuff added. This version of PTool is already better than the GH1 PTool - no reason not to start using it.

Chris
  • Yes, I'll give it a try. Honestly, though . . . it is difficult for someone (me) with no knowledge of GOP, Bitrate, Quantizer to figure out what the heck boxes to check off in PTools. I'm running 3.61 with just the simple suggested bitrate changes, because I could figure out what those were supposed to do, but keeping up on reading the threads on all this other stuff is just too much for me. Its all very interesting, but translating it over to "which box do I check in PTools" is brain-scrambling.
  • did a lot of night testshots @ recomended settings with GOP3 - 2 m.t. detail 1080p - and had macroblocking for a blimp in one shot. The footage is very detailed and the grain looks finer - 1600 iso is very nice!
    I am still not shure which GOP settings to chooose (for slow camera movements on gliders and steadi)
  • just look at my auto-assigned avatar to understand the face I make while reading about quantizilizationalizering
  • 1st off, Happy Birthday Chris!
    Man this new version is incredible. I just tried some of my own semi-extreme settings (88mbit, gop3, and Auto Quant to 3 for most to details). It looks AMAZING. Tried my hardest to break the encoder and my camera hasnt locked up yet. I've gotten up to 92-94mbit at times and no lockups so far. Noise at 3200 is insane, event in EX mode. It baffles my mind.
  • Happy b-day Chris

I can't wait to try this patch when I go home. Thanks!!!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions