Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
20mm 1.7 Lumix II rant
  • 49 Replies sorted by
  • Olly 17/1.8 not good enough fer ya'll?

• The 17mm is a good lens. The compact size of the 20mm pancake is enticing.

• Yep, we all love pancakes :-) especially without sirapy slow autofocus...

• I consider the Lumix 20mm pancake one of my very best lenses for both stills and video, but I mostly leave it on my GF1 which is my take everywhere stills cam. When I swap it onto my GH2 for video, I use it exclusively in MF mode and live with the less pleasing focus by wire feel. Small price to pay for such a great look. I don't understand the meh from some of you about this lens, it's an engineering miracle and better than most glass Canon sells these days. I wish all my glass was as good as the 20mm pancake.

• I never complained about its optical performance. It's my sharpest lens. Yes it lives on my GF1, too. Instead of upgrading to another m43 body, I'd like to keep GF1 and upgrade the pancake lens if it ever gets renewed.

• @stonebat Stoney old boy, I wasn't referring to my fellow 20mm pancake fan club charter member. It's some of these young whippersnappers who seem to regard anything more than a product cycle old as being unfit for a spec rap video.

I leave the 20mm on my GF1 because it just completes that camera. Chimping adapted manual glass off the LCD just isn't how I want to live. I just can't live with that external VF attached to my GF1. The 20mm pancake is really the only lens aside from the 14mm pancake that completes the GF1. Match made in heaven, or Osaka.

• Stoney old boy? I like :) My Lumix gears are GF1, 14mm, 20mm, and GH2. Yeap match made in heaven. Osaka?

• @stonebat: Panasonic's headquarters is in Osaka.

• Thanks. Osaka!

• I want this to be zoom lens, but 10-20mm 1.7 :-) but still pancake ...

• @stonebat

As far as I remember same source discontinued many things that were sold for long long time after this.

• This time the Panasonic Japan site has stated it officially, "Digital SLR camera interchangeable lens H-H020 production end"

• Prolly GX2 (or GF7) will have a new kit lens. 20mm 1.7 Lumix II?

• Prolly GX2 (or GF7) will have a new kit lens. 20mm 1.7 Lumix II?

No one know if it'll be 20mm MK II at all. Not even mentioning it as kit lens.

• Well done guys.... turns out ranting does sometimes work

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-hot-first-image-of-the-new-20mmf-1-7-ii-lens/image

panasonic_20mmf17II_zpsbb8eed90.jpg
    500 x 300 - 24K
  • Just need to wait for it to be released! The price is similar as the current 20mm

• Told ya!!! :)

• But (at least in the article) the new lens uses the same basic design of the older one - entire optical assembly moving, etc.

• Hold your horse. Let's wait and see.

• Sweet! Sold mine a couple of months ago due to slow autofocus. Looking forward to final specs!

• Topic closed, new one will be made for actual lens.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions