Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @mjfan where have you seen the footage?

• Video takes on a "filmic" image in the lighting and the grade. Limited DR and 8-bit gives you very little room for error. Sure the GH2 and GH3 can look incredibly professional, but only the most talented and resourceful can consistently pull that image out of the camera, and I'm not one of them.

• no one has properly shot something filmic/cinematic on the bmpcc, so i think your quick to judge. when the gh2/gh3 came out people were still saying they looked like video, maybe thats because everyone was shooting bushes and cats still?

• the footage from the pocket camera looks so much like video to me and not very filmic/cinematic. yes it has more dynamic range and all that but as far as aesthetics i've seen way better looking footage from the gh2

• I hear ya and know it from a technical standpoint but the proof's in the pudding so just waiting to see those knockout videos that'll make this a Must Buy for me.

• GH3 is great, hell, so is my GH2, but pocket cinema camera for 'film making' is in a different league. 8-bit is like trying to shoot a film with your hands tied behind your back.

• Looking forward to seeing your guys' footage once this puppy rolls out. From the test footage sp far, it doesnt look to be a significant upgrade from the GH3 so opting to pass, for now.

• @Mystery Don't think it will happen. Pretty sure I read they are not going to be able to help on this, especially for BMPCC as it would cause overheating issues.

That is why I have a GH3 for 60p footage (plus due to less crop, I can use it for ultra-wide footage as well).

• Any chance this (or the s35 cinema camera) will get a p50 at max resolution firmware update? It is like a crime that it does not have both fullhd p50 and touch screen (let alone ultrahd, and true 4/3rds sensor, or at least uhd stills with uhd HDMI video out to a external recorder). I have not ordered one, or the 4k camera because they are both limited to max p30 framerates.

• @peaceonearth 13 stops of dynamic range. xD

• The Wooden Camera stuff for the BMPCC is cool and all, but I'm waiting for a super lightweight 3 handle set up with a built in HDMI lock to come out. I have no desire to make this camera a rigged out cinema camera. I want it to be a lightweight, easy to hold, handheld camera like it was intended to be.

• I liked the comment under the Wooden video:

"What is left of the "pocket" concept once you've attached all those accessories?"

• Man... I really hope they're bringing a bunch of cams and selling them at the show... !

• @Wilbo Thanks again for the news. Lets hope for the best!

• Wooden could also just have a dummy prototype given to accessory manufacturers.

• Wooden camera with their pocket rig. They have their prerelease unit so hopefully the cameras will be released on time.

• @Cid - Oh got another mass email form BMD about the event a few hours ago. This time it's from Grant Petty.

He writes:

"This is a great opportunity for those who can't make it to the big trade shows to come and meet us in person and get to see our newest products. We'll be showing our new Ultra HD and 6G- SDI equipment, the latest DaVinci Resolve 10, our Cinema Cameras, and the rest of our latest developments."

I like how Cinema Cameras is plural... @JBV_CINE - Now I'm positive you're right :) I'm excited now!

• @balazer thanks. Unfortunately 99% of uw housing are designed for standard lenses only except those for somewhat pro camera like FS700 or Red.

I hope that the lumix 8mm will have a not so much fisheye distortion. We will see :-)

• @boo Rumors says Nauticam

• @Wilbo Its very strange that the Pocket cam wasn´t mentioned by the Black Magic event. They seemed to be concerned about the importance of this new product in the last interviews... It doesn´t smell good...

• +1 Great stuff, indeed!

• @JBV_CINE - yeah, you're probably right... i hope :)

@LongJohnSilver - good looking stuff!

• About the widest we can get for rectilinear is the Sigma 8-16 plus the 0.71x Speed Booster. The Sigma's distortion at 8 mm is not terrible on a Super 16 crop, and improves a lot at 10 mm. http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_16_45_56/#/data

• @LongJohnSilver, What manufacturers(besides Equinox) plan on making housings for the BMPCC?