Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
4K Black Magic Production Camera, raw, $2495 now
  • 330 Replies sorted by
  • @mintcheerios: phil bloom is a decent film maker. but perhaps he is scared that more people will have access to good cameras and 4k :)

that letter of his is neither witty nore funny. on behalf what fukkin community is he talkin? so selfaware so full of...

• @mintcheerios I think Phillip made those comments because there are many who do not want to go back to CCD’s quirkiness. Two things that stand out…CMOS cameras have been typically sharper (not edge sharp but detail sharp) than CCD cameras. I know someone will probably argue against this but that is an argument you hear from a lot of folks. I tend to agree. But the most important issue some folks hate about CCD cameras is the vertical streaking it sometimes produces which is a tell-tale sign of….VIDEO. Like Phillip I too was hoping for a global shutter CMOS camera. But at this price point….I say who cares.

• I think Phillip Bloom is a talented guy that tells us things as he feels them and seems to be sharing his thinking process as it happens on this. I get the whole does this make the current BMC obsolete thinking and one of the arguments against was made by John Brawley who brings up the DR of the current model as being a plus in it's column. I think if they give the current model compressed RAW it will continue to have a niche.

As for the letter, I also get the gut feeling of there being too many cameras coming out too fast or half coming out or whatever. I'm very surprised by the young hungry wannabe filmmakers and photographers around me that are still barely figuring out how to put an ND on their 60Ds, let alone realizing how everything that is on the market fits together. Or the opposite route, (as in a recent case when a candidate for Mayor I'm doing a campaign for asked if we shouldn't have this guy she knows DP the spot because he just got a BMC). There will be confusion, there will be chaos, there will be angry customers and people not using whats best for them and a whole lot of external hard-drives sold as the world collapses under petabytes of bullshit video.

So, yeah, I get the tongue in cheek sentiment of the open letter, but I disagree with slowing down actually being better. The more options, the fiercer the competition, the more complex knife fighting these guys do in a race to the bottom price wise...I think it is all only good for the content creators. The fat-chick in Ohio of Coppola legend. She won't be up on everything, but Lena style, somebody she knows will have a thousand dollar camera, and someone else a five hundred dollar tripod and someone else a five hundred dollar robot stabilizer and they will make images of high enough quality to be able to stand on the merits of their story. And the percentage amateur geniuses will not be higher than we see in other Arts, but it will become higher than it has been in Cinema. And only the corporate dogfighting can get us to that camera as a pencil point, I believe.

• Wait, we're confirmed that this new BMC is CCD, right? I couldn't verify the context of this snippet?

Screen Shot 2013-04-08 at 4.06.26 PM.png
    2232 x 316 - 41K
  • If the technology is available, i do wish to see the cameras made. We need BMC and others like them to ship the better tech as it is available. Yes, there will be imperfections. But let that be ironed out in v2 or v2.5, etc. So, thats the only area where i would have to disagree with in what was said. Love the boldness and forward-thinking of BM instead of the antiquated approach in minute updates with older tech. Slowing down is not better. Keep it going naturally. Its just a faster-pace and times now.

• Reading some conflicting reports as to the bitrate of the compressed dng files for the 4k camera. Some are saying 8bit? Would love some clarification on this.

• I cancelled my Cinema Camera order, and ordered the Production Camera 4K.
    I've waited 12 months, another 18 won't matter.

• I came here to read about the new 4k cam and instead end up reading about some comment from PB and worse: supposedly he´s a talanted guy! Well, if the talent is carrying around cameras, making an occasional home video and writing stuff on his homepage then maybe, yes - he´s quite talanted at that. As for things slowing down.. It won´t slow down any time soon.

Buzz I'm getting from inside is that it they have a new sensor source and ample supply of sensors, and will be ready to ship by July [separate pipeline from the 2.5K] and the 4K trade off is it's now only 12 stops

Now, this (re: new sensor source) is what I thought about after the obvious (why not e-mount?). I guess it would make much more sense if they had begun to work with some merited sensor maker..

Hopes up for DALSA (or something like it). Of the few snippets of footage I´ve seen from Aaton Delta, it seems to set a new standard in terms video rendition. Hopefully this is a cheaper variety of similar tech.

I´d hope they update the 2.5k bmcc with a new m43 sized sensor (from a reliable supplier). The size is great and a passive or active m43 mount would make it a perfect tool for me personally. I particularly like that it can be made to look like s16 or s35 and has a good light transmission/relative aperture(dof) ratio.

I have to say I hate RESOLVE though. They really need to update it for users who have no need for a controller board, not to mention get rid of bugs. It doesn´t matter how powerful it is on paper if it´s a PITA to use.

• I just called into BHphoto and already they have around 100+ orders. That make me not in the first batch of camera for sure. big bummer.

• What I think we need is some footage of this thing..

• I don't know what PB is smoking on. I remember buying a DV camcorder back in the 90s, CCD was the new advertise thing that replaced over cmos. Not until HDV kicked in and used CMOS. This is because CMOS is more affortable and consume less energy. What CMOS created was over 10 years of rolling shutter, alias, and moire. I welcome CCD back anytime.

• @RRRR when was the last time you used it? Resolve 8 was shit, but 9 is awesome!

• @pvjames I agree, bring it on, and I look forward to 60p next year, and everyone releasing a "me-too" 4K H.265 camcorder and DSLR next year to compete with BM at this pricepoint. At this point, 1080p is a tough sell other than for cell phones unless it has high frame rates or RAW.

I expect the next generation BM 4K camera at 2014 NAB would have 60p or 120p for slow-mo, better lowlight performance, better DR and h.265 option with the newer Thunderbolt connector announced today by Intel. But at $3995 or $4995, who cares, I'd add another to it and keep this year's announced body as a backup or 2nd body.

Ultimately, I think narrative 24/25p RAW at 4K is going nowhere for at least a decade while the next step to 8K is trying to figure out what framerate is best, likely 120fps for realistic sport and event footage, while 4K narrative should upscale nicely to 8K once the final format is hammered out. I'll let Peter Jackson and James Cameron figure that stuff out...

Pretty good day for 4K RAW "Global Shutter" fans, let's hope they deliver by next NAB...

• I agree, bring it on, and I look forward to 60p next year

Yea. +1 here. If the 4k Blackmagic had 60fps (even with rolling shutter) I'd sell one of my testicles and buy 4 of them. Hell, I would have actually rather seen a 2.5k "extended" model with 60fps in Prores and a few other options for the $3995 price. Either way, I'm SO GLAD they are actually selling 4k at a reasonable price... way to go!!! but I personally need a good 60fps option this year. Seriously though, still a great job on Blackmagic's part... nearly every-other camera of the last few years looks like a joke now. I can't believe how pissed off those "pro camera" fanatics who swear by over-priced antiques like the C300 are feeling right now. Did they really think 8-bit compressed garbage at cell-phone data rates was worth the $16,000 investment? My God, what a joke Canon's C-series is now...

Just wait for the barrage of excuses to NOT use the 4k Blackmagic to begin. They are coming. And it's going to be both sad and hilarious to watch people desperately trying to hold their old "pro camera" ways. Gear won't get you jobs anymore. Finally. Good riddance!

They really did hit the nail on the head with the Pocket Cinema Cam. Looks amazing! Definitely getting one of those, or just the original BMCC, to go with a GH3 now... both great options though! Prores on a SD card?!! Holy crap! I want to just go outside and smash my 7D... but I can probably still get $700 for it. :)

• I really want a short focal flange. More lenses to adapt like rangefinder lenses. But also.. metabones speedbooster would be great since this is super35.

• Hmmm, interesting... Blackmagic's site says that 1920 x 1080p50i and 1920 x 1080p59.94i are both available frame-rates. Some form of over-cranking should be possible with that interlaced-to-progressive interpolation method. You'll only get 1920x540 worth of real-resolution... but it's an option!

• What I want to try is multi-image superresolution on very high frame video, I've had great success overcoming the optical limitations of a system and increasing true resolution beyond what the lens can resolve with just 2 images.

Keen to give that a go at some point.

• @driftwood

that looks WAYYYYYY better than the current.

• p59.94i doesn't make any sense. It's gotta be interlaced or progressive.

Incidentally, there are PL-mount to Canon EF mount adapters, though not universal ones that will fit all lenses and cameras. Blackmagic would be smart to try to make one for this camera.

• I just did the math in case anyone is interested. The sensor size equivalent of the BMCC MFT with the Metabones Speedbooster is actually bigger than the BMPC EF 4K.

BMCC sensor size equivalent with Speedbooster: 22.27mm x 12.51mm

BMPC sensor size: 21.12mm x 11.88mm

• I have some very nice Canon lenses. Still hoping for 4/3.

• Apologies if this was already posted:

John Brawley said that the BMPC-4K uses "... a CMOS with global shutter from a different company ..." (e.g.: not a CCD, and not from the company that makes the CMOS sensor for the BMCC-EF & BMCC-MFT cams).

• @balazer

The BMPC-4K tech spec page now says "1920 x 1080i50, 1920 x 1080i59.94".

I assume interlaced is included especially for compatibility with some of BMD's own ATEM video switchers which aren't compatible with progressive HD-SDI sources (such as the original BMCC).