Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
New Black Magic RAW Cameras: Pocket and S35 4k, general talk
  • 108 Replies sorted by
  • Woah. The pocket version seems awesome even when not knowing shit about it. Wonder if it's just 1080p actualy pixels, ie have to debayer and lose a shit load of resolution. And someone has to say it, hows the rolling shutter?

• 4K global shutter? Are these fake pics? If not, when are these to hit the market, 2016?

• Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera: Ultra portable Super 16 digital cinema camera with super wide 13 stops dynamic range, Super 16 sized 1080HD sensor, built in SD card recorder LCD, ProRes™ and lossless CinemaDNG RAW recording, active Micro Four Thirds Lens compability and Micro HDMI monitoring with overlays.

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K: Compact 4K camera with large Super 35 sensor global shutter, Ultra HD and 4K support, built in SSD recorder, touch LCD metadata entry, compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes™ recording, thunderbolt and EF lens compability. Includes DaVinci Resolve and UltraScope.

• WOW! BM is really listening to what the users have been saying about what they'd like to see in a new camera. So many times i've read people asking for a 4K super35 and I see they're answering the Super16 crowd as well. Active MFT is the right move and now they aren't messing around.

• Democratization of cinema. I cant to imagine the offer within five years.

• I passed on the 2.5K jellocam. I said to wait, but this was more than I could have hoped for. Also unless BMD offers a RED like buyback program there's gonna be some pissed off 2.5K jellocam owners.

Now, it'll still be a year before they get the fucking things to market if the 1st GEN version is any indication.

528514_506542842714455_242088525_n.jpg
    599 x 803 - 59K
  • The one concern I have (other than being trampled trying to get hold of one) is it gonna have an OLPF? Moire is so 2008. I would have preferred a 2.5k S35 camera.

• I know they stumbled on the roll-out with the first camera, but hopefully they've learned some lessons in the process. I'd say they had to pull this move to keep ahead of the game. For anyone who has had their BMC for awhile, the usual arguments still rule, these new models do not invalidate their camera, in fact less so than in many cases with other companies. Anyone on preorder will have to think, and the forum hype will be about the new cams, but it seems there is still kind of a niche for the 2.5k model, in my opinion, especially if they add compressed raw or a feature or two.

• @squig bmcc v1 mft + metabones speed booster?

• @squig, I believe that a 4K model shouldn't really have any Moire issues. It's not being downsampled like going to HD or even 2.5K right? I could be wrong, but I thought much of the problem was going from higher resolution down to smaller resolution.

• Yeah but 25ms jello is so 2008 too. Ideally it would have an E or M mount so you could shoot full frame with a speedbooster.

• After 5 years of disappointment with every camera release I want to believe!

• The pocket cam is what the T2i was a couple of years ago. Every single hipster on a street corner is gonna pack these. Love it!

• My god, this had better not be a hoax.

• My mind was blown when I saw this. I mean the original Cinema Cam has MFT mount but it's passive. This is active which makes me uncontrollably happy. It's just too much for my tiny brain to take in

• So is the pocket cam's sensor smaller than BMCC?

image.jpg
    300 x 266 - 12K
  • All my C-mount glass is gonna like this :)

• Wow. BM is grabbing the RAW niche big time. That S35 4K cam is one step away from being my idea of a "perfect camera". Alas, after all my joyous time spent with mirrorless systems and adapters, I positively despise the EF mount. Someone at NAB needs to give them flack for that (mostly because they listened to flack last time and gave us m4/3).

• sounds like christmas, eastern and birthday on one day, lets see if they make this happen and those babies work without major flaws. Still looking for a good alternative, thats good for run and gun stuff, has the stealth factor, but at least 4:2:2 and more than 8bit. I do not even consider upgrading in the 8bit segment anymore.

The pocket cam looks awesome. What about the size of its sensor?

• I can't believe it. I have been on the wait list for the BMCC MFT for six months now and here they go another two possibly jawdropping cams. They start to turn me into a fanboy without ever owning one. I got "appled".

• They can barely handle getting one heavily flawed camera out to the public, now they're adding 2 more to the mix? I can see the big banners at NAB now, "Pre-order today, we'll get it you sometime between this summer and Star Wars: Episode 8....promise"

• If this is real and they can ship these now and they work...damn!

• Let's see - either they get their shit together this time or ruin it completely.