Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood ClusterX series 2:│moon│ЅріzZ│nebula│drewnet│Slipstream │Redshift
  • 1053 Replies sorted by
  • @dado023 Yes it was perfectly stable for me. I shot with 'Slipstream 1b' for about 2 weeks. Did a couple of hour long recording tests with the San Disk 32MB 30Mb/s Class 10 card. All files spanned, no crashes or freezes.

I'm fairly new at the hacked GH2 community (about six months) but from my tests and patches tried - Slipstream 1b for me was like running the stock firmware...with only one exception. When shooting 1080p 24H you're shooting at almost triple the bitrate (72Mb/s). Highest stock firmware setting is 24Mb/s. Honestly if I wasn't using the camera for broadcast productions Slipstream 1b would stay on the camera permanently and I'd be thrilled.

Revisit page one and read up on the specifics and cautions if any. I can't remember all the details but It's one hell of a patch. (Note: It's "Slipstream 1b". There's 3 differnet Slipstream patches so I can't comment on the specifics of the 2nd and 3rd Slipstream patch from personal testing. That said, I feel safe saying that to try a regular 30Mb/s class 10 card with the other two Slipstreams would be really pushing it if not impossible.)

• This is a not quite finished version of my first ever music video shot with Moon 3 (or maybe it is Blue Moon) The rapper is my little brother aka Rad Nasty. We filmed this over his 2 week visit to Japan which just ended last week. It was shot entirely using a Nokton 17.5mm lens. Day shots were shot using very high film speeds (often 1/4000) which created flicker at times ( a trade off for the look I was going for) Night shots were 1/100th film speed with ISO around 1600 to 2500. It is ungraded, and the only effect is speed ups and slow downs.Thoughts ,comments and criticism as always are welcome, keeping in mind I do plan on cleaning up the out of sinc lip bits, as well as replacing some of the footage. Driftwood, I am really loving Moon. Better than CM night and equal if not better for day shots than all predecessors.

• What time is it in England, haha?

Meanwhile, a recent spot on Moon5 for a local candidate for Mayor. She's a former television personality trying to raise awareness about the holes in this three party system, etc. Mostly I try and stay out of politics but I thought it'd be interesting to tackle:

• Moon t6? I think it will have something more than what we had in t5. T6 Bravo Bravo! where is the download link?

• @keller42 good one.

• @mee Hilarious! Got it on repeat :)

• @maddog15

thank you for all the info, i will definitely try 1B version But why do you say this: Honestly if I wasn't using the camera for broadcast productions Slipstream 1b would stay on the camera permanently and I'd be thrilled.

What do you use for broadcast production?

• @dado023 because its easier to just patch the camera a be done with one really great and stable patch.

Im using Moon T5 for broadcast quality. DREWnet V8 also works well for me. I simply prefer All Intra as apposed to a high bit rate long GOP like DREWnet V8.

Edit: Moon is Incredible but like anything else there's a price to be paid. Moon's all Intra files are HUGE. But the quality is obviously worth it for broadcast.

• @oscillian Thanks! We had fun and many laughs while filming this. XD

• T5 is pretty good when it comes to close up tight shots. Amazing details in the edges.

• video shot with moon trial 5. Description of the video are in my vimeo channel.

• Schlanger77, beautiful video!

• @driftwood Any idea on Moon T6? Sorry i'm getting anxious!

• @Schlanger77 The Helios is beautiful!

• Moon T6 nearing completion. Its a very much experimental one this one... in terms of patch settings it sorta goes against many previous concepts... :-) Goodness me we have 102 follows!

• @driftwood

Hi mate,

in terms of patch settings it sorta goes against many previous concepts

It is very interesting news!

Goodness me we have 102 follows!

You are followed up by moooore people than 102 persons in fact. Since I am also contained at least. :-)

• Latest News on moon T6: Near completion. What's left to finish?: The fixing of a very strange 1080i60 phenomena. Release date: Probably tomorrow now as I need to do some daylight refinements

Whats improved: Better matrix - less changing of colors (no more greenish tint it seems) when record is pressed on all modes; improved contrast, even more refined use of bitrate. Plus some strange looking settings :-)

@bkmcwd Some of these new ideas could be used for Spizz :-) More soon...

• @driftwood Great News Nick. Looking forward to it.
    PS: by improved contrast you mean lower contrast? That would be awesome.
    Thanks.

• Odd, suddenly I'm not getting 100% spanning in Moon5. I shot a multi cam interview piece for a commercial. Both cams were using scandisk 64GB 95mbs cards. I can't remember what card was used for what camera but non of the wide cam shots would span without dropping a frame. I need to recreate the problem with all my cards to see if I received a bunk card. I just bought a new one and maybe I got a bad one.

• Shot with moon t5. Must say thank you....I'll upload more tests. You cant really see from here but The "noise" is the best I've encounted thus far. What this showed me here was how the camera reacted to movement, no moving water, sun or wind blown leaves could break this patch. Brillaint work, thanks again.

• 9 stops of DR? Pff... I can confirm that GH2 has 6.3 stops of DR at ISO 200 on Smooth profile, just like Shian has been saying for, well, forever. How do I know? I did a calibration with my meter on every profile. You want to test? Set the camera so it displays highlights then take an incident reading of a white piece of paper and see how many stops you can open your lens before the paper blows out the display. There is NOT 9 stops of DR on the GH2. I wish there was...

• BTW, smooth at ISO200 offers the greatest lattitude without corrupting the colour unlike the Nostalgic setting which will give you a touch more DR but will increase noise and skew the tone.

• Purely based on sensor, the GH2 would rival the 5D Mark3 with a dynamic range of around 11 at low iso. But since indeed the profiles on the GH2 don't stretch as far as cinestyle or raw, you get there at all.. the GH3 seems like a better candidate for dynamic range, not just sensor wise, but mostly since it has flatter profiles, anything like i dynamic will just add more noise.. but most GH3 footage that iv handled seemed to have more DR than GH2 footage (including recent driftwoord intra). But in theory, if the GH2 had raw or something like cinestyle, i could be even more of a beast as it already is for motion etc.. Also when reading around the web DR tests can be a bit subjective on when something is still visible v.s. the amount of noise it's giving off in that state..

@spacewig, isnt it normally the method to use a xyla chart for these measurements ?

• @kritzresn I have no idea what is "normally" the method to measure this. I followed the procedures to calibrate the Sekonic L-758 meter, did every profile, and those were the results I got. They appear to be backed by simple tests, such as I mentioned in the post above. Should you desire the data I gathered I'd be happy to forward the files to you, or anyone else for that matter. Just send me a PM.

• @spacewig... I'm hear ya. Is this information about 6.3stops DR given by Shian in its paid course? If so, Can you tell me what profile does Shian recommend on GH2? Smooth? For all ISO? Do you personally use same profile for all patches or it differs? Thnaks

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters