Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cleaning old lenses
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • @CFreak

Can you make video how to properly clean lenses?

• Hmm. I also recommend to use a lens opener. Scissors are way to unsave. I also have one now - but within the following videos it was also possible for me to open up the lenses with a screwdriver. Also not the safest way - but way easier to control than a scissor. Btw.: The first video is more general cleaning - The 2nd one is more detailed about the Helios 44-2. Maybe helpful for someone out there.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I wish I could, but, I have only watched for hours with a friends who is a lens tech in Zurich. He cleaned and fixed some of my older lenses: 16-100 Switar Zoom C mount Fixed a copal shutter trigger on a large format lens De-click the iris ring on Nikkor AIS MF prime lenses. Leica Elmar 50mm 2.8 which neeed a new fron element. In Switzerland the Leica dealer told me parts are not available for those old lenses. Ha, I bought the front element from Leica in the USA for $100 and he told me he gets the optics directly from Germany! Swiss businesses try to create their own economic bubble since they are not in the EU.

I just watched over his shoulder. He overhauled my old Ecair CM3 camera and an old Panon Panoramic camera. I was an AC who brought a lot of knowledge to the film community there and trained a few assistants, so that made his job easier repairing the rental equipment! He had worked in Canada as a camera and lens tech for William White, the Panavision rental in Canada. I'd worked with Panavision in the USA. There was hardly any Panavision used in Europe, but we had a common language with camera experience. We were good friends. He also custom designed shift and tilt lenses and modified gear all the time. This was the fringe benefit of being a camera assistant.

@Tscheckoff Thanks for these videos.

• @Mikelinn & @Tscheckoff, thanks so much for posting these videos as it gave me the confidence I needed to open up a minolta 50mm 1.7 that I bought for $30 at a pawn shop recently, and had a few black specs on the inside of the lens that showed up in the right light. I used circlip plyers and not scissors, and a few drops of zippo lighter fluid. The lens opened up really easy and I'm so pleased cause I like this lens a lot. Cheers.

• I've done a few cheap lenses for practice - using advice thatt Matthew Duclos has said I have a couple bottles of pancro + kim wipes and I basically take the lens apart, spray pancro on the wipe, wipe and toss the kimwipe aside, then grab a new kim wipe. Then I put it back together minus a couple grub screws that are lost forever in the wooden floor seams below

• Does anybody know a source for micro grub screws? The best I can find is del-screw.com, but it seems to be japanese and does not offer retail distribution

• Removing fungus