Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Playstation 4
    • Supercharged PC Architecture
    • X86 CPU - 8 cores
    • Enhanced PC GPU - 2 teraflops
    • 8 GB RAM - GDDR5
    • Local HDD

And of course.....

"A new application from SCE called "PlayStation®App" will enable iPhone, iPad, and Android based smartphones and tablets to become second screens. Once installed on these devices, users can, for example, see maps on their second screens when playing an adventure game, purchase PS4 games while away from home and download it directly to the console at home, or remotely watch other gamers playing on their devices."

There are several demo videos online. I found this one pretty interesting.

Via: http://technabob.com/blog/2013/02/20/sony-ps4-specs-games-announced/

ps4_dualshock_4_detail.jpg
    600 x 797 - 73K
  • 41 Replies sorted by
  • Guy who owns every single PS4 game

No too hard to do, especially if you throw out all indies and crap. Situation with games is bad, really.

• test47.jpg
    800 x 233 - 23K
    test48.jpg
    800 x 214 - 26K
  • The reason the original Wii was such a hit is because it was significantly cheaper than any other console. Same thing with the PS3, it cost around $600!! when it first came out, while the cheapest Xbox 360 was around $200.

Actually that is only partially correct. The reason original Wii succeeded was due to to its innovative controls that drew in entire family, as opposed to kids and teens, to console gaming. It also forced Sony and Microsoft to bring about their own versions of motion controllers in a me-too act. Being cheap surely helped, but it did not cost Nintendo too much to build a unit either and it delivered performance at par with its price. Once you figured the cost of buying additional controllers like Wii MotionPlus, the gap between competition narrowed.

But Wii was not about the price alone as PS2 was cheaper and far more established. I know a lot of parents who liked the fact that kids did not become couch potatoes while playing on the Wii. PS3 on the other hand was initially a loss for Sony even at $600. Had HD TV been common when PS3 came, it would have been a huge hit. The fact that PS3 made up in lost numbers towards the end of its life span speaks volumes for how advanced it was for its time. I know a huge number of people who bought PS3 purely as a BD player.

Sorry for this OT post.

• it's "supposed" to be around $400

• The most important thing about the PS4 isn't the specs, it's the COST. The reason the original Wii was such a hit is because it was significantly cheaper than any other console. Part of the reason the Wii U is a flop is it's significantly more expensive than any other console. Same thing with the PS3, it cost around $600!! when it first came out, while the cheapest Xbox 360 was around $200.

Economic times are tough and if this comes out at similar costs as the PS3, it's toast. There's also rumors that games will cost $100, it that's true, it's DOA.

• Meh, at this point, PS and Xbox should both just create their own OSs, or Windows-based software (like Steam already does), since they're already running complete PC hardware, and sell it with a Blu-ray drive and controller. They make losses on hardware, anyway, and at this point, their hardware is redundant.

• @subco yes, when the thing takes off full speed ahead, everything and everybody will want and get a piece of it, including smart devices.

• lets be realistic....to say console gaming has peaked is in the same sense saying "camera technology has peaked" I have a feeling in the future there will be more developments as far as physically controlling a game and not just using a controller. combine the google glasses technology with a console somehow and there you have it. Virtual reality making a come back, and holographic technology are also possible to push console gaming forward, but by that time it may not be classified as console gaming but maybe a whole knew beginning. Just recently I've seen it mentioned on more than one occasion of VR making a comeback.

last VR video i'll post. skip to the 5:00 VR flying, pretty awesome future we have ahead.

• @subco, some games allow you to skip the "cinematics" lol

and there are 100 million people that play first person shooters that don't have much issue with the accuracy.

• I see NO reason why games of the future can't offer 4k+ and more detial. They MAY already be able to go above 4k I guess if they are developed in vector (but I have no idea personally) even on ps3 quality, Naughty Dog has been able to produce some really life like looking stuff. The Last of Us and Uncharted.

• @subco

You just described most popular modern games :-) Interactive film with little freedom going on rails of scenery. Plus some added network battles stuff.

• @subco the second part of my comment was more or less directed at anybody that is still trying to compare console gaming to PC gaming.

if playing games on a PC is an individuals preference, more power to them. I look at my PC as a tool, not a toy.

• @stonebat I've never seen a PS3, or really even a PC game looks THIS nice. Skip into it about 30 seconds or so

• @GravitateMediaGroup

I concur with your reasoning. That's why I think media boxes like AppleTV and JynxBox will take good share of gamers away from Sony/MS/Nintendo. Console games won't die, but I think we've seen their peak.

• Funny, I was just talking about this with one of my students tonight, who buys all the latest greatest gadgets. I am onboard with VK, PC can do more for less. I own two consoles, an Original Atari, and a Dreamcast. I have played PS3 Gamecube, and Wii, and though the gamecube and Wii hold their own, the PS3 never gave me as much joy as the Dreamcast. I don't give a shit about graphics, just fun. Also I am proud to say I have never owned a BR player, and never missed it, because again there is nothing a PC can't do here without a bunch of plastic discs messing up my house (still have plenty of those for various things). All that being said, I am sure there will be some fanciness to be had with the new system, and some mehness.

• @endotoxic People are giving the "better specs" vote to ps4 over the Xbox 720. So what does this mean if Microsoft (more of a computer company than Sony) doesn't release something better. Not to mention there are rumors of Microsoft selling out their entertainment side of the biz? I don't know how true this is, but they are blaming it on Win 8 doing less than expected.

PC is fully customizable and can be upgraded at any second. So of course it will always have the edge as far as top notch graphics and processor. But I can't picture a few friends setting around drinking beer and smoking weed in front of a 50inch 3d TV "playing PC" lol

• THE FACT IS THIS

new ps4 is highly integrated x86 machine, and a GPU with a direct interconect to cpu on a ITX with propetary LSI running linux.

Its the lest inovative Playstation from the history of the brand, and by fact the lest inovative console in the history of gaming, damm they havnt developed shit. The ram, the cpu, the GPU, they only rebamped the controller, and make a case with propetary moderboard and modified linux. I bet a give a guy like apefos the challenge and i would be surpised by the results using simple parts.

For me this time they are selling Brand name not research. Anyone now can make a much powefull machine in an itx from factor with similar ok...more watts but same or better performance.

• @subco We aren't here to discuss "what makes a PC better for gaming than a PS"

I have no interest in PC gaming, and I have a GeForce gtx 690, which is more than capable of running any PC game from now and well into the next 5-10 years.

Console gaming has to keep parts affordable for everyone, not just "hardcore gamers"

• @subco

The PS3 actually does support mouse and keyboard, but very few games actually allow it. Unreal Tournament (actually even the PS2 versions of UT and Half-Life supported M&KB), CS: GO and Dust 514 are the only ones I can think of. The PS4 will most likely be the third straight Sony console to support standard USB keyboards and mice, hopefully more developers will actually allow you to use them.

I'll probably still stick to PC as well, though.

• @endotoxic

Your dream is new nintendo U then

Wii U can't even play a Blu ray disc and is limited to 6 channel audio just to name few things that straight away makes it unsuitable as a media player. As a gaming machine it is not cutting edge either.

@Vitaliy you are talking about a PC with ITX MB :)

It is not that the hardware do not exist to support the converhence of a very high quality gaming machine with a high fidelity media player that will play everything. We don't see them implemented unless you are going to hand roll one yourself. What I have in mind something that treats games, music, TV, movies etc. in a similar manner to how Kaleidoscope does for media but with streaming as the primary source of always available content. It calls for a content provider as well. I am going OT here so I will stop the rant:-)

• @subco In what way inaccurate?

• I'm gonna just fill you in on a little secret.

No kid under the age of 15 cares about the specs. No fan of CoD, modern warfare, nba2k, or madden NFL care about specs.

To think back at how fast we have moved from an

Atari to PS4.

Car phone to iPhone

Stop motion to 4k

The fact remains that people are never satisfied. Lol