Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
US: Stability is almost here
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • I am currently considering very seriously wether or not I am a pacifist (a luxury I am thankful to have), but I certainly doubt that I will ever own a gun. That being said, I strongly believe that others have the right to own guns if they so choose. I realize the main argument for this has been used to death, but it just makes sense: the criminals will have whatever weapons they want, and gun regulation will take guns mainly from law-abiding citizens.

This one is simple, you'll go and get a gun (or kill someone who have one) as soon as your ass will be in serious real trouble. So, argument is that criminals are not much different from other people. And everyone at some moment can become the guy who makes things that even criminals could hardly do.

• Like I said, I am considering. It is certainly not something that is easily determinable or definable. But I do seriously wrestle with the thought of taking another person's life in order to save mine. In such a situation, would I WANT to? Of course, wouldn't we all? Perhaps it would even be completely justified. But does that make it right? Who am I to make that kind of decision . . . that another human being ought to die instead of me? All this is hypothetical, which is what makes it so difficult to sort out. I'm much more of an in-the-present-moment type of person. But whatever. I see your point too. It is quite possible that in the end, "pacifist" or not, we all kick into hardcore survival mode. But for me, why bother? I don't even know how to shoot a gun. I'm not trained in any sort of combat. Geeze, I've never even exercised a day in my life. The world will go to crap, and I'll be sitting in my basement watching render progress bars on my computer screen when they bust in to loot the place. I probably won't even have fast enough reflexes to turn around before they blow my brains all over my vintage GH2 camera. In my last dying moments, I shall relish in the thought that they didn't get the camera, because the GH2 isn't weather-sealed and is now filled with blood and guts. Like I said . . . considering being a pacifist. Seriously.

• Like I said, I am considering. It is certainly not something that is easily determinable or definable. But I do seriously wrestle with the thought of taking another person's life in order to save mine. In such a situation, would I WANT to? Of course, wouldn't we all? Perhaps it would even be completely justified. But does that make it right? Who am I to make that kind of decision . . . that another human being ought to die instead of me? All this is hypothetical, which is what makes it so difficult to sort out. I'm much more of an in-the-present-moment type of person.

It is not about your consideration. It is about behaviour and biology. Scared, hungry pacifist in severe danger to his life is much worse than serial killer in his normal calm state. So, go and get a gun and better two. Learn how to use them. Learn how to survive and feed family in tough situations. And after this become real pacifist.

• Oh, I see, Vitaliy, yes sir, you're right, of course you're right.

• Oh, I see, Vitaliy, yes sir, you're right, of course you're right.

Thanks for sarcasm. But here it is not discussion about who is right or not, as such thing is pointless.