Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
August 24, new generation Sony and Nikon cameras
  • It is now nearly a certainty that Sony and Nikon will introduce new camera models on the 24 August. Sonyalpharumors has more or less the spec of the next model. Which span from the Nex 77 to the alpha A77. On paper they seem to be very good spec. 1080p at 24 to 60fps, avchd 2 (bitrate up to 28mbits), apsc size sensor etc. It is rumored that they have worked a lot to reduce the moire/aliasing/rolling shutter. I am a little puzzled by the specs, I was more or less sure that Sony would omit 24p for example so as to protect the FS-100. I guess that the devil will be in the small details that will be seen on launch. I see more 1080p 24fps at 17mbit and 60fps at 28mbit and a crippled hdmi output. As you can see, I am not too much a Sony believer. Seen so many time how they can cripple their product, that I don't have any faith in them. I need to see to believe.

The Second announcement is from Nikon (Nikonrumors). What started as a new line of camera to replace the d300 and d3, has now change to two full frame cameras. A d800 and D4 to replace the d700 and D3. Details are a bit more sketchy here. It is more of a 18megapixel $ 5000 D4 (low light, sport pg camera) and a $ 2500 24megapixel D800. On the video side, some are speculating of very strong video performance. As a Nikon professional photographer, I have been repeatably disappointed by Nikon, they are the still company that have everything to gain to put some ground breaking technology to take market share in the large sensor camera. The dslr revolution has brought a total new market that they could not have dreamed before. For now the market is not mature and people can change brand very rapidly. I hope that this time they will not miss the boat. Either one of these would be a basic minimum for me. A 10bit 422 high bitrate codec (or/and) An uncompressed 10bit 422 hdmi output that can be recorded by external recorders (or/and) At least a limited (time/buffer) HD raw output.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Remember that this are rumors sites.

They have two sources - big camera sellers who get some marketing info in advance and stupid press who also usually travel to nice place to shoot few half naked girls and make reviews.

Alpha A77 won't be competitive because of mount used and no plans to make video lenses for it.

NEX 7 will be pricey, and looking at yen, price could rise.

Whole Nikon mirrorless system is made with one intention only - make something that couldn't use any existing lenses in any form. I expect same from Canon.

• The 4 year nikon cycle is up so I am confidant that they will refresh their pro line. However these are primarily stills cameras not sure how much video shooters will benefit as they do not want to cannibalize their video sales. Cheers and shoot what ur mama gave u :)
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

This is not true, they have genuine sources within the companies who get advance demonstrations of products and presentations of future roadmaps, specs, etc. In an organisation of thousands of people, in various roles like marketing, product training, even the damn tea boy(!!), it is impossible to completely 100% stop the chatter both within the company, and to stop it from leaking out indirectly.

The companies don't like this for obvious reasons, it makes potential current customers delay and in some cases cancel a purchase and move to a rival system which is 'around the corner'. So many consumers act like this rather than buying what they can afford NOW in fear of it becoming obsolete in just 1-2 months time.

That the companies go to some efforts to stop leaks shows that they do happen and rumors have turned out right many many times. 43Rumors does a great job.

Yes some rumours are complete nonsense but it's usually easy to tell. I always hear about things first through the rumour mill, always. Those photographs of the A77 how on earth can they be photoshopped? I have some info too that I can't publish yet, it is regarding a future lens design. Leaks go on all over the place!

Nikon are designing their own sensors now but their business agreements with Sony are quite strong and it may well be that they coordinate release date timing as well. I think Canon will follow with something nice a month later just as the A77 goes on sale.

Love the new Sony cameras, plenty to be excited about there. Will have some nice horsepower under the hood to do 1080/60p and 12fps 24MP from such a high resolution sensor.
  • >This is not true, they have genuine sources within the companies who get advance demonstrations of products and presentations of future roadmaps, specs, etc. In an organisation of thousands of people, in various roles like marketing, product training, even the damn tea boy(!!), it is impossible to completely 100% stop the chatter both within the company, and to stop it from leaking out indirectly.

It is quite possible and professionals exist who do it every day (I mean - preventing leaks).
    I already said true sources.
    Leaks from inside are possible, but in 99.98% cases they are intended and controlled.
    Something like Thom who plays role of unofficial Nikon PR guru.

• You guys are speculating about how the speculative site works?
  • I'm curious what the video will look like from the A65, but I can wait.
  • Sony has been more than happy to play the viral leak marketing for their dslr line. They are perhaps the only dslr manufacturer that more or less talk or show their roadmap. They show mock-up etc well in advance of the product launch. I guess it is because they are number 3 in that field. On paper this seems to be pretty good with a pro Apsc body around the price of a gh2 body and with the rumored 17-50mm 2.8 for a little more than a Canon 7D.

For me until I see it, I will be very skeptical about this camera on the video side. Sony will throw everything it has to get market share from Nikon and Canon on the photo side, but will be very cautious not to put it too close to the FS100. I am waiting more for Nikon to bring some revolutionary dslr tech... I hope they won't have to fire their management as they did because they completely missed the digital revolution at the beginning to mid of the previous decade, giving Canon a field day for 5 years at least.
  • I forgot to add that link
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions