Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Fostex Audio Recorder
  • Fostex Launched DC-R302 recorder at NAB.

Foxtex recorder

Seems like JuicedLink killer.

Three channels. LCD backlit levels. Headphones monitoring.

Simultaneous recording to SD card and to your camera.

Auto slate tone upon recording start.

No info on price, and no actual photos yet.

More details at:
     http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/latest_news/EFpkuAAElFRSSZGVPA.shtml 

I hope to see audio recorders that will record constantly since they are on and
    record button will only make new file to make editing faster.

Available at:

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-DC-R302-3-channel-channel-Recorder/dp/B008YOBUDK/

• 59 Replies sorted by
  • you should hire a sound guy if you want to record your grandmother farting.

LOL

But dc-r302 with such price really can become smaller and cheaper alternative to DR-680.

• @danyyyel Check out this conversation at jwsoundgroup http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/12656-sound-devices-vs-fostex-dc-r302-dslr-shooting/?hl=fostex#entry210663

One guy said he uses the dc-r302 with his GH2 and likes it. The conversation spans over 1 year and later in the thread you will see some discussion of the Tascam D-60d which just came out this year.

Just keep in mind this this group caters to professional sound guys working in the movie industry so you will often get advice saying to the effect that anything less than a $3500 Sound Designs unit is absolute garbage and that you should hire a sound guy if you want to record your grandmother farting.

• Ii it a deal or a new price? My only problem is that I cannot find one pro review of the Fostex DC-r302.

• that's a helluva deal, i've been using one of these to great effect for over a year now, and that deal really makes me want to pick up a second

• Can anyone who has the machine give us an update on it's reliability? Huge amount of disgruntled users in it's first release with several firmware updates needed. Additionally, how is the noise floor and dynamic range compared to other recorders now that you have worked with it for a while?

• I also have no idea how to remote trigger anything via the Fostex. I usually record audio separately and feed a mic out from the Fostex into the GH2/GH3 for syncing and back-up.

Just got the Wooden Camera DSRL cage and the Fostex fits just below the quick release and the baseplate. This is quite a handy and compact set up :)

GH3_Fostex.JPG
    1280 x 960 - 305K
    GH3_Fostex2.JPG
    1280 x 960 - 322K
  • its analog with no stepping. The Tascam is more feature rich isn't it?

• Are the front panel level pots analog/digital? I was looking at the Tascam 60D as potential but I hear its digital using ~3dB discrete steps giving audible clicks when adjusted whilst recording. How does the Fostex fair?

• Here ya go, gh3/gh2 same thing if im not mistaken. see if you can make heads or tales of it=) looks like you just have to wire up the green and pink to both ends of a 4pin 2.5mm male pole?

GH3_DC-R302cable.pdf
  • I did post this as a separate topic but will ask here as well;

Can anyone who owns or has used this unit confirm whether it is able to remote trigger recording on the GH2? this feature is designed so that when you press record on the Fostex, recording is automatically triggered on the camera. This happens one of two ways;

1. via an infra-red trigger, which currently i believe only works with the 5dmk ii, or
    2. through a wire from the Fostex to the remote port on the camera.

For me the benefits of this have relatively little to do with synchronizing audio in post, but more to do with not forgetting to press record on both devices as this can lead to serious problems, but also only having to position one record button within easy reach of your thumb or finger. As the unit can have its own remote this could mean putting a remote on your rig bars.

@MRfanny who replied to the original thread, do you have the wiring diagram?

• It is such a shame this thing doesn't record 3x discrete channels for mixing later, as it would be perfect for boom and 2x radios, which is what most shoots require. Mixing down live is not the best. I will continue to use 2x 2 track recorders, but I'd love 3x or even 4x discrete channels on one recorder ideally.

• Ok, with line, I always have a lower level reading on the Sony. I checked in Audition and there was always a 6db difference.

• @tobsen If the fs700 has a line input, plug the line out of your fostex into it and see if the level reading on the Sony is the same as on the fostex. If it's not you might have a problem. But remember, the LINE OUT of the fostex must be plugged into the LINE IN(PUT) of the Sony.

• @spacewig. I checked all my files in Audition CS6 and the readings on the Fostex display are close. At 1m, you start to get to the closer to the max of the unit, with reaching levels around -15db. Maybe the amplification is enough, but what about the output? I just checked again and sending a line out to a camcorder like a FS700 is quite weak. Using th mic out and setting the cam to "mic" is better in this regard.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev not fully tested yet. Limiters cannot be switched off as far as I know. Quality wise, I can't tell yet

• My apologies and I realize now my answer was general to the extreme, I'm sure you knew this already. I should be sleeping......

• @spacewig

:-) I am not asking in general, I am asking about Fostex implementation.

• Limiters make sure the signal does not reach the clipping point for the gain circuit or that the output does not go over 0 dbfs. Different devices use different philosophies, sound devices going as far as making sure the signal does not clip before reaching the gain stage which is very clever indeed.

• How limiters are implemented?

• When you record actors it is normal for mic to be 1 meter away with a boom though you try to get as close as possible without mic coming into the frame.

• @tobsen OK, so your device works fine to amplify level. Did you record and play back from the fostex to make sure it reproduces the level correctly?

• @spacewig at 25cm distance, levels are fine with room above on the Fostex. Most of the time I won't be able to place a mic that close though.

• @tobsen mixer, recorder, etc.... Don't worry about nomenclature. What counts is the individual blocks. If the unit has a microphone input it has a preamplifier, i.e. circuit to boost mic level to line level. This is what you we want to worry about right now.