Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cinematic m43 lenses
  • I'm saving to buy a good optical native M4/3. In the range angular to a maximum of 35mm. I have the pancakles 14mm 2.5 and the 20mm 1.7 but both some digital look.

My needs is lightness, quality and look, I do not like that look digital lenses.

• At first I thought the Nokton 25mm 0.95 seems a superb lens, but I think it would have to last much saving, keep in mind that no cinema live, my investment is to make my short films that also costing my pocket and projects future.

• The PanaLeica 25mm 1.4 lens seems interesting, but almost all the references I find are still photo and price does not seem so high. Does anyone have references to the?

• The other option was the SLR Magic 35mm T1.4, but I read of problems for autofocus.

• While I have read that the Samyang is not recommended.

• I think SLR Magic comes with a 35mm and a 25mm both t0.95, but I think his price will be close to Nokton.

Thanks in advance!

• 82 Replies sorted by
  • Great! The Isco is rarest and lovely!

• I have many, stop 16, victorscope 16 , sankor c , kowa d , I had a proskar 16 , very rare 8mm elmo 1.5x , and lets not forget the rarest of them all iscorama 36 pre edition (non coated)

• What ana adapter do you have?

• I think would be cool to have a topic about good pancake lenses ,as they are usually best thing to use for anamorphic adapters because they get real close to the glass .

• Vk I have the Konica 40mm and it's very versital (espcial on anamorphic adapters),a little soft ,but in a good way wide open .. has a vintage feel to image .. also we talked about the vivitar close focus 28mm f2.8 is very nice lens for the money.. the Ziess 58mm biotar f2 with the many blade versions (I think 15 of them) is very good (but usually exakta mount).

• I've looked everywhere and can't find a damned thing about sex - I must have missed a topic... ;-)

You just need to searh for fucking, not "sex" :-)

• "Every talk ends up either about being cinematic, or F stop, or equivalent lens focal length, or sex."

I've looked everywhere and can't find a damned thing about sex - I must have missed a topic... ;-)

• I like nikkors and don't mind the breathing, only trying to be objective. If you compare them to any real cinema prime they do breathe and their front element extrudes while focusing, which is another pita for matteboxes and anything screwed in and fixed infront.

Maybe that comparison is not fair, since these are pristine photo lenses, but still, we are talking about using photo lenses for cinema, and I'm just pointing out things that should be taken into consideration.

...and lens breathing might actually be the new king of "things audiences don't give a shit about"... right after the current champion: Rolling Shutter.

hahahah, lol. THis little breathing as these nikkors have really should not bother anyone.

• ...and lens breathing might actually be the new king of "things audiences don't give a shit about"... right after the current champion: Rolling Shutter.

• What keeps them from being great cinematic lenses is a bit of breathing, but that's the case with most photographic lenses more or less. When used with anamorphic it is even more pronounced.

Anamorphic lenses breath. This is listed in the plus column, a defining look even, on Panavision's website.

• What keeps them from being great cinematic lenses is a bit of breathing, but that's the case with most photographic lenses more or less.

They still create a nice cinematic image though. I really like the look of Nikkors. That's all that matters to me in the end... :)

• These are the lenses that I use the most.

• Tokina 11-16 2.8
    • Pany 20 1.7
    • Nikkor 28 2.8 Ais
    • Nikkor 50 1.8 Ais
    • Nikkor 105 2.5 Ai
    • Nikkor 135 2.8 Ai

Bit heavy on the long end, but I found that I use long lenses a lot. These nikkors are very nice and sharp, sturdy, they cam be easily declicked and match nicely. Also, all of them having 52mm thread is very convenient.

What keeps them from being great cinematic lenses is a bit of breathing, but that's the case with most photographic lenses more or less. When used with anamorphic it is even more pronounced.

There is a nice pic of them all together hanging out.

lenses.jpg
    2376 x 1584 - 692K
  • @Flaaandeeers LoL. I have no idea how lenses are related to "cinematic". Ask to the guy who created this thread. About the 25mm and the 28mm, both are quite nice. I like'em both. Just my greed to hold'em both.

• Just curious @stonebat, how different are the SLR 25mm and Vivitar 28mm at f2.8 regarding "cinematic" (what the f*ck is this anyway, i mean "filmmaking wise") quality?

• Really liking the FD lenses. Need to get more at some point. - 85mm f1.2L - 50mm f1.8 - Tamron 80-210 f3.8 adapted to FD - Helioss 44M ( no adapter yet)

Need to get wider lenses!

• After downsizing lens collection, here's my manual focus lens set.

• SLR Magic 12mm 1.6
    • SLR Magic 25mm 0.95
    • Vivitar Komine 28mm 2.0 Close Focus FD
    • Konica Hexanon 40mm 1.8 AR
    • Canon FD 50mm 1.4
    • Vivitar Komine 55mm 2.8 Macro AR

Total around $1500 including adapters.

• That's true, you can't count on consistency across even a single manufacturer. I've seen tests of Nikkors comparing various zooms and other primes in the 24-28mm range and the disparity in quality, in the corners especially, was all over the place. Generally speaking though, especially these older stills lenses, they get markedly better the closer you get to medium f/4+ stops where the photographers of their era would be more likely to be operating.

I'd figure on the faster stops for these lenses were mostly there for journalists who wouldn't be working in a studio environment with predictable, controllable light. Soft corners would be the least of their worries.

• @BurnetRhoades

"the speed of the lenses gives you room to stop-down to a better place. Those 1.4, 1.2, etc. lenses are going to look much better at 2.8 than they do fully-wide."

Not always true. Some Contax lenses that start at 2.8 look better than their 1.4 counterparts at the same aperture, and the 50mm 1.7 looks better than the 1.4 at the same stop.

• Shhhh I had to remove UV filter, too. I hate stupid ugly flares from it. But that means their beloved lenses could get damaged... but I try my best. "Really, I won't scratch it, promise." :)

• "Really, I won't scratch it, promise."

LOL, I did keep that promise though. For all exteriors where we had the camera (also a loaner from one of the exec producers) strapped to or inside a moving vehicle I stuck to the 7D's kit lens.

• Someone should make a video about "borrowing lenses". Haha.

• @stonebat

Befriend with more people. Borrow their lenses for free :) well.. almost free.

Hah! That's how I got a sack full of L-Series glass to shoot Sick Boy. My buddy has a serious investment in lenses for his 1D. I think that 85mm f/1.2L was worth more than all my lenses as a whole.

• +1. I'm selling unused gears. February is the best month to sell. I'm keeping EF, F, and R mount adapters though. I noticed that more people are not using their lenses. Befriend with more people. Borrow their lenses for free :) well.. almost free.

• Much of the "cine like" aspects you're paying for are luxuries that don't necessarily have to do with the optics. Those IMAX action sequences for The Dark Knight Rises were mostly shot through medium-format stills lenses adapted to the 65mm camera system, sorta like what we're doing with 16mm and 35mm lenses and these cameras.

Personally, though it does negatively impact my options for anamorphic shooting, I have a lot of pause considering any lens these days that would have to sit unused in my bag if I wanted to Speed Boost. Just saying.

Oh, I'm kinda broke too, so that trumps any other consideration regarding lens purchase ;)