Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
312A, 312AS, 312ASZ Lishuai LED Light
  • Again, old, well known, very good quality light, but we did not have separate topic on it as I see.

312AS led light (also option to get two lights in the pack)

Very good and popular light with adjustable color temperature.

Available at:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/717/special-deals-lighting-fresnels-evfs-monitors

• 79 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris that's a good point. I just picked up a random transformer I had. I'm sure you've got a million in a drawer somewhere too :).

• @itimjim Ohhh, good tip. Do you have a link or model number of the charger you are using? Hopefully that won't hurt the batteries by charging them too fast.

• Just a tip, but the charger that comes with the 312s is rated at something ridiculous like 300-600mA (not got them infront of me so can't remember). Anyway, I stuck the charging unit on a 2.5A unit and the charge times have been cut drastically.

• I reckon the colour rendition is the best when the colour control is in the middle, my guess is that the two sets of LEDs have overlapping spectrums that together are better.

Yep, it is correct.

• So here is an image that was taken using the AS312. Its a 25 second exposure and the AS312 was used at half power with the colour control in the half way position. The trails in the background are from an Epoch EL1000 at 10% (thats an underwater light). The AS312 seems to go everywhere with me, with loads of uses.

I reckon the colour rendition is the best when the colour control is in the middle, my guess is that the two sets of LEDs have overlapping spectrums that together are better.

• @matt_gh2 Yeah man, they take forever to charge and you have the small batteries!!! I have a bunch of the large ones for my 500 LEDs and my monitor and they take overnight to charge. The lights will all turn solid red when it's charged.

• I've got the 312 lights from PV deals. They're great, but the batteries seem to take a long time to charge, and the lights on the charger just keep blinking. Does anyone else have experience with this - is that normal, or should the blinking stop once batteries are fully charged?

• @Tobsen , i think is easy to DIY just to find right acrylic milk color with low light loss, and glue small metal rings :-) I do own two z96 (flash) and two 312 asz bi-color ... But i do not want to spend much money on special soft-boxes for led that cost more than LED light :-)

• Yeah, I see what you mean. I checked their website and found one for the z180. I guess it is smaller than the 312 and therefore wouldn't fit.

• @Tobsen no, i have to link to this video, not related to 312 , but wani to show what i mean, also it may work with some acrylic milk white colored, but don't know the light loss .. I want same but for 312 ...

• dunno, haven't compared them. I know I was looking for some diffusion options for the 312s some time ago, but couldn't find anything good besides some softbox options. Those were too expensive at that time. Ever tried the airbox?

• @Tobsen, yes but the light is not same as "Milk Diffusion Filter" ...

• No idea, but you can stack the normal diffusion filters or add frost/diffusion gels.

• Is there anyone who makes or can make "Milk Diffusion Filter" for 312 same as for Z96 lights ? This would be a deal breaker ...

• Thanks, packaged and on its way back to amazon. :)

• I have two of them and love them. Except for large rooms, these are all I use for interviews and seminars/

• @fatpig

First, we are not talking about rebrands here.

Second, return it. It is good lights with very stable light.

• I got the Polaroid one. I noticed the color temperature was not stable. it changes slightly if i tap on the light (when moving it, adjusting, etc.)

can anyone confirm this issue? I hope not so I can send it back...

• I've forgotten just how much I like the small battery powered LEDs. I've used mine for just about everything, including a bike tools and car maintenance.

Here's a photo using the AS 312 (bi-colour) as a fill-in. It was set to exactly half way between the colour temperatures. The camera was set for normal daylight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63040616@N03/8394251797/sizes/k/in/photostream/

• Just got 2 of these lights. My brief initial tests looked great. Will add more detailed review once I use in field. Would definitely recommend.

• I can second this little thing is really good. I've used it for car scenes where I needed light hitting the driver and it worked really well and I was able to gaf it on the instrument cluster really easy. It's actually so bright I had to knock it down with ND even on it's lowest setting. The thin batteries that come with it don't last too long in my opinion but that's easily correctable with the larger batteries the 508 LED comes with.

• I wanted to add to the existing reviews about the 312AS led light kits in regards to battery life. I had the two included batteries with a full charge on the light with power set to 100% and the temperature set in the middle to activate all of the LEDs. This gave me 2 hours and 15 minutes before some of the rows of bulbs started going out.

I can see using these for interviews on the occasions that I don't have access to power or space and/or time for a full set up. For me that is either Kino Divas or Tungsten Arri/lowel kits. After I test these out (I bought 4 lights) on a real shoot I will reevaluate if they can become the go to kit for all situations ( I do mostly talking head interviews). I don't think so but you never know until you try.

It took just over 3 weeks to arrive from China to the east coast of the US.

All in all though they seem like a great deal and I will get lots of use from them.

Cole

• I bought one of these the 312. I too would like to hear suggestions for something a bit bigger / 3 light setup.

It should be noted that folks shooting with an f1.4 lens you can almost have no light and you can see the talent but with my HMC40 I have to have a ton more light as it's low light performance sucks - all hail the DSLR! (now if we could just solve the sound issue!)

• Hey, I found this new mini softbox for the 312 LED light. The manufacturer states that there is a version that fits the Ikan 312, which is identical to the 312 AS. Does anyone know anything about it? Even tried it?

http://www.chimeralighting.com/Products/Film-Video-Lightbanks/Micro-2-Lightbank