Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Hack will help in a Helicopter shoot?
  • Hi, I have the opportunity to do some helicopter shoots, I can use a 5D, t3i, GH1 or GH2 or a HX9V. I just wondered if the Hack will help me on Helicopter shoot? I don't expect to get a straight footage from the camera I hope to do some stabilization later on. any advice is appreciated thanks.
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • I would use a camera with a CCD sensor because rolling shutter artifacts might become be a real problem if you don't have proper stabilisation in a helicopter. You don't need a large sensor camera since you don't need shallow dof (assuming you film the landscape and not the passengers in the helicopter)...
  • It can be done though, i shot GH13 from a chopper in Fiji a few months back and the footage was ok. 720p 50fps. It did need a little mercalli in post though. Just hand held on a monopod with door off and just out of the downdraft.

The ocean shot at 00:30 - 00:40 is the famous Cloudbreak surf reef.

• A beautiful place and very nice footage!

I guess the advantage of handheld-monopod in a helicopter is that your body acts as a damper on the cyclic vibration of the helicopter's air frame.
  • Yes if you hold the monopod just below it's balance point it acts like a poor mans steadycam without the roll.
  • The HX9V is the ideal camera for this purpose (Shooting)
  • @ButtThe HX9V is the ideal camera for this purpose (Shooting)

I'm not sure HX9V will handle motion well, static yes. I think max 28mbps is not enough for 1080p 60fps. The OIS on that camera is good though, same with the Pana TM900