Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
1280x800 IPS 7" NEWAY CL76HO-X and CL76SDI monitors, amazing
  • 266 Replies sorted by
  • @pwc

Guys, just tell me numbers required for work with anamorphic lenses.
    And make short video how it all works.

• Received mine before yesterday. Really fast shippement (5 days from purchase to Spain). First impresion is ok (I'm coming from a Ruige one). Plastic seems more solid than that one. Screen is glossy (Ruige not) but it compensate with more options and easy navigation (more knobs). For me is good upgrade. Sunshade not useful for me (I don't like to put velcro in equipement). Battery holder solid for me (NP-F960). I will try to post more when tested...

Neway01.jpg
    1626 x 1080 - 1012K
  • @pc_bel you don't seem that impressed with the monitor? Any reason? How is the viewing in daylight outside?

• @tinyrobot he's not american. So he can be impressed without saying "amazing! Fucking awesome! Mind blowing!..." Yada yada. ;-) Thanks for the pic pc_bel, give a good idea of the size. Huge stuff.

• Quick question. Can the power adapter be used in 220 volt outlets?

• @WhiteRabbit i don't own such a monitor but in my opinion you can desqueeze and go near center with 2x anamorphic by using settings like H-start range -186 H-size range +270 V-start range +200 V-size range -200

you reach an aspect-ratio of 3,49:1 (ok no 3,55:1) and you get an offset from ~60px to real centre ... but you dont have to crop the center in post ;-) so it doesn't matter

• settings like H-start range -186 H-size range +270 V-start range +200 V-size range -200

Quite strange statement. My understanding that you need to change V-Size and just +48 is not enough.

• @astraban You got it ;-) @tinyrobot power adapter says 110-240v 50/60Hz so yes. Not used in daylight yet, but with a hood I don't think there is any problem, although that is relative. For me is ok.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I may be completely wrong here but isn't it the other way around? The recorded image will be stretched vertically (as in the examples at http://www.christopheclemendot.com/notes/notes-2012021900) and needs to be squeezed, so it is the negative values of V-size that are used.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    your are right ...strange settings (wrong v-size and v-start)

.. as i mentioned i don't own this monitor (but i will order it soon), so its pure theoretical..

Maybe my understanding of the parameters is completely wrong!! so can someone practical confirm my theory?

normally i would prefer a desqueeze to 1920x540, so you can go for an cropped image of 1280x540 but it is impossible to reach with this h-size ranges (to do this i think you need h-start -320 | h-size +320 | v-start +130 | v-size -130). As you can see in the second picture the bulb isn't round, so my anamorphic adapter actually isn't 2x but for the example i use the Aspect Ratio normally would be (3.55:1)

maybe its is better to go for an slightly squeezed 1736x540 instead of 1736x488 so you y-stretch by 0.5 and get a sharper image.

I think it's better to take the horizontal and vertical stretched and cropped image for framing the shot and the 1:1 source for setting focus (because it's only horizontal stretched)

i wonder if the 1:1 picture would be from the 1920x1080 source or later from the streched picture..

anamorph2x.jpg
    1734 x 800 - 375K
    anamorph.jpg
    1920 x 2050 - 702K
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev, said "Guys, just tell me numbers required for work with anamorphic lenses. ". If you are seeking to ask the manufacturer if this can be changed via a firmware update, my understanding of the values required would be similar to my original post. Assuming +/- 1 value represents 1 pixel of stretch/squeeze, respectively, for a 2x anamorphic lens you need to squeeze V-SIZE +400 (being 400 pixels of the 800 pixels height) and observed from the image samples of the orange pictured on the screen, the V-SIZE +400 squeezes the image from the bottom of the screen. moving upwards, so V-START would require a value of half of that range, being -200 to return the squeezed image to the centre of the screen. This is assuming each +/- 1 increment represents 1 pixel of stretch/squeeze.

• Can someone who owns such a nice monitor please do a test for us 2x anamorphic lens user ?

Filming this picture from your computer-monitor and try to get this circle perfect round with no red bars left or right by altering the h-start | h-size | v-start | v-size parameters.

is this possible? which settings?if not possible, which was the best setting?

thx

anamorph-testbild.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 99K
  • @memento1 Hey man, I just did the test and wasn't able to make it round without red borders. The closest settings are on the screenshot. Ignore the crap white balance.:)

On a good note, however, I found a small latch on the back of the monitor that keeps the battery compartment from falling out. No wonder mine was loose. Of course, not in the manual but luckily found it!

P1000063-001.JPG
    1600 x 900 - 235K
  • I can confirm the findings of @SuperSet. It is impossible to tweak H V start and size to get even close to a perfect circle and/or get rid of the red bars. Something seems to be wrong with the way these settings works and that's why I was mistaken in my previous post: for example in order to squeeze down vertically the image you have to use positive values for V-size (and you are limited to +48), which is counter intuitive. It should be the other way around.

A feature I discovered is that you can simultaneously use the peaking function with the pixel to pixel (meaning 1 pixel on the screen = 1 pixel from the source) function : it helps with focusing.

• @memento1 @SuperSet @pwc

Thanks. We'll be working with manufacturer to fix this in monitor firmware.

• Anyone tested 24p playback from the GH2 on this monitor? My Lilliput doesn't playback 24p. Recording is no problem, then it's outputting 50i. My Zacuto EVF handles it but my focus puller could really use higher res and watching the playback as well.

I'm also waiting for my BMCC to arrive, which only output progressive images. So I need an monitor that can handle the progressive output.

• @hempo22 I can confirm playback of 60p on the GH3. Will advise on 24p. I have not tested either on the GH2.

• @SuperSet Looks good, thanks!

• @hempo22 OK, confirmed fine on 24p playback as well.

• Also discovered that the hot shoe mount may not be the best place for the monitor as I've noticed that the front is already starting to lift away from the camera. So, it's hanging at an angle. It's likely not meant to handle the weight of this monitor so I'm gonna look for an articulating arm to hang from my rod supporting the shoulder pad.

• @SuperSet Great news, thanks for testing!

• I'm seriously interested in this CL76HO-X monitor but I have no experience using false color. Is there any sort of calibration required to insure that what I see with the false color display accurately represents the exposure ranges of my un-hacked GH2? Do any of the GH2 hacks interfere with this, or any monitor's accuracy or false color reading?

I've read that some monitors have a 4 to 6 second delay when switching functions on a camera (waiting for the hdmi signal to re-sync). Does the CL76HO-X exhibit much delay?

Thanks for offering this monitor, Vitaliy. I'll be ordering one as soon as I have the funds. When ordering, do I need to specify which battery plate I wish to use?

• I'm seriously interested in this CL76HO-X monitor but I have no experience using false color. Is there any sort of calibration required to insure that what I see with the false color display accurately represents the exposure ranges of my un-hacked GH2? Do any of the GH2 hacks interfere with this, or any monitor's accuracy or false color reading?

False color just show brightness. It represents relative exposure (starting from minimum black values to full white), so no need to calibrate something.

• Just ordered one of these, excited for it. Looks very good for the price.