Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
FS: Contax Zeiss set
  • For sale: a Contax Zeiss prime set, all are in mint condition, the only one with cosmetical marks on the body is the 50mm 1.7, the rest are all 120% in perfect condition.

Set includes: Distagon 28mm 2.8 Planar 50mm 1.7 Sonar 85mm 2.8 Sonar 135mm 2.8

Starting price; 1000 USD Or best offer

Located in the Netherlands Pictures are coming

• 29 Replies sorted by
  • Why are you selling them? if you dont mind me asking

• To buy Samyang's new series of cine lenses? Actually to be honest, I have tested Samyang and Zeiss side by side, and I can't quite tell which is which. The Samyang 85mm especially has colours and nuances that are very Zeiss like.

• Not selling them for Samyang, samyang has horrible CA and breathing, compared to the Zeiss lenses, i'm going to buy a set of Cinemodded Leica R's

• Which of these are MM and which AE?

I'd never change Zeiss for Samyang, but Leica-R? Why not.

• all are AE if im sure the 50mm is AE, ae was the one with razerblade bokehs right? All german versions btw, not japan.

• Yep, AE are the ones with the "Ninja" bokeh @ the two stops next to fully open.

• Hi sicovdplas,

is the set still on sale? I´m very much interested. Mail me your contact. I´ll get in touch. BR Ul

• @uliman info@kladwerk.com , still for sale got 1 pending from nomad, but he did not reply yet.

• 1 sale blown off, @uliman contact me true the e-mail above.

• @sicovdplas

Cool. I have an Angenieux 45-90mm f2.8 and am looking to sell it. It's Leica R mount, was the first Leica zoom but farmed out to Angenieux back then cos Leica didn't have the technical know how. if you are keen, let me know. The lens is in collector's condition.

I have Leica R 21mm, 90mm and 35mm as well. The 90mm is invaluable

• Still for sale

Some pics also.

IMG_0322[1].JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    IMG_0330[1].JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • I suppose these are C/Y? or?

• The samyang 85mm has bad breathing and CA? Really? You need to check that again bro. The 35 sucks but the rest are great. Especially for the price.

• @vicharris

Yeah i agree Samyang 35mm sucks, I duly sold mine after one project. 85mm is comparable to Zeiss, but haven't quite tested the 14mm, especially the new T3.1 model. Any good?

• the 85 has focus breathing, and horrible CA, color rendering is bad and sharpness & micro detail/contrast is no where near the Zeiss, also have fun matching colors with Samyangs lenses.

Samyangs should not be compared to Zeiss, they are in a diffrent game. Price should not be the thing to look at when buying lenses.

• You must have received a bad copy. I have two of the 85's here and they don't have any breathing problems and they are sharp as shit. Also, I have the 14mm, 24mm, 35mm and 85mm and have no problems matching color. I get you're trying to sell your glass but come on man :)

• Ofcourse you have no problems matching colors, ofcourse there is no focus breathing, i was all telling lies to sell my glass, i need to buy these Samyangs for their super quality glass.

Leica, Contax Zeiss, ZF glass, ZE glass is bad glass, don't buy it. You can't be real on this matter, the Samyang is "OK", 85mm's lenses tend to be "Sharp as Shit", because their portrait lenses, it is "Sharp as Shit" but Sharpness does not make a lens 'good', the 'cheaper' Zeiss sonar still wins over the micro detail/contrast, also colors are better and out of focus areas are smoother, and coatings are better.

Also for a lens production companies to produce samples that are different from the other is also a reason why i don't buy them, this means that every sample has different color rendition, sharpness and quality of glass therefor colors and contrast does not match per lens.

Ofcourse zeiss also had these problems, (Jena DDR and others s#n)

More discussion, feel free to PM me.

• I know the Zeiss Contax/Yashica (usually referred to as C/Y) lenses quite well. Like most Zeiss lenses they are capable of producing gorgeous images and are quite usable on a GH2 with a C/Y->mft adapter. Undoubtedly the most desirable are the later "MM" made-in-Japan incarnations with the smallest f-stop (f22 usually) painted green on the aperture ring. The older made-in-Germany "AE" versions are considered desirable because of the truly horrid pinwheel-shaped "Ninja" bokeh already mentioned. In addition, the German versions exhibit significantly higher flare (some prefer this) due to the differing lens coatings. There's a ton of info about these lenses on the web, especially with the recent interest from DSLR users.

• "Samyangs should not be compared to Zeiss, they are in a diffrent game."

And what game is that, exactly? Optically, the Samyang (Walimex/Rokinon et al) lenses compare quite favourably with other top makes such as Zeiss. They are also in wide use by professionals for all kinds of applications.

• I prefer the AEs for the flare and the stars, but its personal choice if course. My 28/2 AE CY >> than my ZF version IMHO ffor example - think Zeiss did some ninja tweaking on the designs and coatings, same for the 100/2

• There are both versions (AE and MM) from Germany and Japan. The AEs have the infamous 'Ninja' bokeh on the first two stops after WO, the MMs don't show that, have slightly less flare and can be identified by the green smallest aperture.

• @sherwood Yes by prof. use you mean they use them in crash boxes, right?

i'm not going to continue the discussion, Samyang is OK, nothing more.

• Well, if someone like Matthew Duclos, who knows a thing or two about lenses, is comparing them this might help:

http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/35mm-f1-4-showdown/

To be honest: I sold my Samyang and kept a C/Y Zeiss, but only since I have already too many 85 and 90mm around ;-)

The Samyang is a very nice lens for it's price, and it's cine version can hardly be beaten in price/performance by any cinefied still glass. Come on, we are not discussing master primes here!

• On the Matthew Duclos's site is also this article, describing Rokinon / Samyang / Bower lenses:

http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/rokinons-intro-to-cinema-lenses/