Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev , k-thx!...

Still waiting for people's tests to come in for aliasing/no aliasing on manual lenses vs. m4/3 lenses. As in, is it safer to shoot with all manuals to avoid aliasing/extraneous moíre issues, or we can still be safe with certain AF lenses, like 25mm Panasonic Leica. Thanks all who research this.

• Perhaps he ment twice the framerate of the GH2. That was 120fps

• @jfilmmaker

It is hard to tell, but I doubt about "twice the fps" claim.
    It was not the case with any previous camera and it'll mean that they could get 1080p120 from the sensor but somehow did not make it.

• I thought it autofocuses at twice the frame rate in recording mode (I think that was from the photokina interview with the German product manager), is this not accurate or misconstrued? So does that mean it autofocuses at 24x/sec or 48/sec at 24P? Thanks!

• @sohus

Thing to understand here is that it focuses using 240fps only with one (or few) lenses, as I remember. Plus, as soon as you go into record mode, it can use only actual fps.

• @sohus, @ade4all

GH3: 240fps: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/still_response.html

GH2: 120fps: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh2/high_speed.html

But it's not only about the speed, what makes the GH2 continuous autofocus unless, it's the hunting between the focus target. This is in less extreme situations not there anymore with the GH3 which makes filming a lot easier with the GH3. Finally we can use the Tracking AF function.

• @ade4all It doesn't matter at al. The GH3 focuses at 240fps. AF and recording framerate are unrelated.

• my point was merely that auto focus will always work faster when theres more frames to focus to, so no surprises there - was wondering if gh3 has faster af than gh2 at 1080 25p? I guess you can record in 50p then conform to 25p for faster af, or do you want the 50p look?

• @ ade4all, I can give it a try but my point is that I got 1080p on the GH3 and it focusses beter then the GH2 on 1080p. Except for the file size why using 25fps and not 50fps?

• hmm...50fps is always going to have better auto focus than 25fps - be good to try both cameras at same frame rate

• @rockroadpix, thanks. Sorry that it's kind of hard to follow but when you look at it a view times there is clearly a winner. This was an extreem test but when you use the GH3 with autofocus on walking people it does the job pretty wel which.

@duckpark...you should go to a store, take it out for a test on the field and then come up with comments.

• endotoxic's article sure had a lot of, "...but I have to perform more tests" verbage. If you're using that article to base your not purchasing the GH3, then you are kind of silly.

I have a BMCC on order, but this little cam is making me think twice ... I'll be thrown out of my own house if I buy two cameras next year, not matter the price.

@DutchAerial - nice test, the GH2 definitely did "hunt" more.

• @duckpark

You sir/madam have no idea what you are talking about...... No idea.......

• I made a little 'continuous autofocus' comparison with the GH2 and GH3.

• Exactly.... GH2 image quality with Hack is excellent. I'm not only buying a GH3 for image quality. First and foremost is the better build. Finally being able to grip the camera means everything. Also now it is weather sealed which is huge.

These are the other benefits to me.

• 1080 60fps
    • Oled Screen
    • Stock higher bit rate
    • better lasting battery
    • Built in time lapse feature
    • better photo camera
    • cleaner high iso

Overall it is just a more professional built camera. The image quality might be the same as Hack or slighter better detail in highlights/shadow but what I really needed was 1080 60fps, better body, better screen and stock higher bit rates. This camera based on that alone is wort price of admission.

GH2 is an excellent camera with the hack, but the horrible menu system, at times unstable hack and poor lcd imo warrant an upgrade to the GH3.

• Coming from Canon I know how to deal with Moire, so even if GH3 is slightly worst but better than Canon I am still more than happy. GH3 has a new sensor and you must take the good with some bad. Ultimately though being able to shoot 1600 iso and be as clean or cleaner than GH2 iso 800 means a lot........
  • After looking carefully at everything that has come out of GH3 this far, and especially that last review posted by @endotoxic I'm starting to think there isn't enough of a difference between GH2 and GH3 to justify me buying it. If I wanted to take my image making to the next level, the obvious choise would be to buy Black Magic cam sometime when it's available. Of course there's going to be more work getting the image, but it seems like the next revolutional step for budget people as GH series was. At least that's how I see it with my modest experience. Not to diss GH3 in any way, I think it's a great, great cam, but if you are drawn to the magic of cinema, the age of dslr shooting seems to be coming to an end. Who knows.

• I just don't buy into that thought process. I can now film at 1080/50p at 50mb/s Where as before the best I could get at 50p was 720p with a stable hack of around 32Mb/s. (I film wedding ceremonies 30-40 mins sometimes)

This for me is a huge leap forward.

• very good resume:

http://provideocoalition.com/awilt/story/first_look_panasonic_lumix_dmc-gh3_dslm_hybrid_still_video_camera/?page=2

"Bottom line: the GH3 is a very capable MFT still camera; a step beyond the GH2 with a price to match. But if you’re looking for a big leap in video performance over the GH2, the GH3 doesn’t appear to be it; it’s more like the move from an AG-AC160 to a 160A than the move from an HPX170 to an HPX250."

Its true.

• @jjj_ri_usa I was joking about the moire, just to make a point that pixel peeping is stupid for a great video like that :-)

• @Frank
    @Cid
    @AKED

Guys, it is wrong topic. We have general GH3 topic for such things.

This topic is only for opinions, emotions and reviews of owners.

• Does anybody know the number of clicks the shutter has (lifespan)? Thanks.

• Regarding the hack: For me would be priority: 29:59 removal and EX Tele also available in 50p modes.

• @hoodlum. I don't understand why testers do 'scientific' style chart tests with unscientific criteria like different settings etc.

• Vitally, I'm probably running ahead because most of us have only had our new GH3's for less than a week but are there any plans to start a hack yet, and what initial goals are being thrown around?

If I may, I would suggest adding NTSC/PAL switching and high ISO for video (at present mine seems limited to 6400 for video but 25600 for stills)

Add Intra to 50/60P in MOV wrapping as well.

pre production firmware v0:5 DID have NTSC/PAL switching so obviously it's there to activate.

Please keep up your mighty good work, I will contribute happily again.