Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Next jump in the future?
  • One personal thought, i hope it could be interesting for this community.

I came from Canon HV20, and in terms of resolution and overall perfomance, i consider the hacked GH1-GH2 a quantum leap from HV20, mostly because they were both (new) in sub $1500 range.

Now we are seeing new cameras coming, and people like to say the BMCC is the "best bang for buck" (lol) at $3000.

But my question is: until we don't have a professional ROI, how much these $3000 cameras are worth the investment?

I see i can do my homework with GH2, and honestly, even much more than that.

My question to expert people here is: do you see a quantum leap coming? I mean one like the HV20 to GH1-2 was.

If you can see it, can it be the bmcc? If not, which features a new dlsr (or camcorder) must have to make another quantum leap, and what would be the price point? (Consider your answer like a mathematic equation, HV20 : Hacked GH2 = Hacked GH2 : price-features )

• 44 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry, I didn't see that the monitor was already posted here. Still, that's incredible although sort of not to surprising knowing that more and more people are starting to shoot in 4K. I'm not sure if the price was ever posted but I'm sure it'll be pretty high for now.

• @vitaliy_kiselev

well in that case, it will be hard to top that process

• @Vitaliy Content source & streaming is the issue. No copyright violation. I like "Keep It Simple Stupid" approach.

• @GravitateMediaGroup Yeap the streaming speed is severely limited by the current infrastructure in the States.

• Ortus Technology Co Ltd developed a 9.6-inch 3,840 x 2,160-pixel LCD panel with a resolution as high as 458ppi. The company claims that it is the world's smallest LCD panel capable of displaying 4k2k video.

Via: http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20121025/247705/

• production will be increased rapidly because they won't have to rely on "write" speeds during the burn process of mass producing, but more of how powerful the computer can transfer data to say an SD card.

None of Blu-rays or DVDs you see in shops are using any write process. They are all pressed by very cheap and fast process :-)

• @stonebat

i believe movies and even video games on SD cards or something even smaller will be how such high resolution content will be sold. production will be increased rapidly because they won't have to rely on "write" speeds during the burn process of mass producing, but more of how powerful the computer can transfer data to say an SD card. But the only way this can become possible if it can be made affordable.

As far as online streaming of 4k content, I really can't see that happening anytime soon. Does anybody know how many theaters in the US actually use 4k projectors? I can't even see it being more than 100 and I would guess 90% of those are IMAX

• I cleared few posts as offtipic here :-)

• I have no doubt China will do well in the near term. But they have a shaky ground.

If they have shaky ground others have volcano direcly under them :-)

I have Chinese American friends. None trust Chinese ruling party.

People like to say that is expected from them :-). It allows to keep socialization.

Mainland Chineses got high savings rate because they don't trust gov.

This is clearly new discovery.

• I have no doubt China will do well in the near term. But they have a shaky ground. I have Chinese American friends. None trust Chinese ruling party. Mainland Chineses got high savings rate because they don't trust gov. I'd better be Joe the Plumber in the States than a sweatshop worker in China. No I don't hate China.

Anyways slow 4k adaptation.

• @stonebat

History repeats itself many many times, but people do not want to learn :-)

This is that I think about your remark.

• I doubt it. By the time you hear a success story from China, there'll be a dozen Chinese companies copying. Like ticks sucking blood from a host.

• More Americans value the copyrighted works. That's why we have Microsoft and Apple from the States. If they had originated from China, they wouldn't have survived a few years.

LOL.

For example I think that copyright in it's current form is one of the core foundations of current crisis, and must be totally eliminated and replaced by proper approaches.

As for Microsoft and Apple, hope that they won't survive next few years, and will be replaced by companies originating in Peoples Republic of China.

• More Americans value the copyrighted works. That's why we have Microsoft and Apple from the States. If they had originated from China, they wouldn't have survived a few years.

• Obviously they queued up what they wanna watch from available list.

Yep, and banners and TV showed them that they want to watch today :-)

• LoL. Obviously they queued up what they wanna watch from available list.

• Anyways... most people don't wanna go through hassle. Most people I know in person use Netflix for both streaming and disks

May be this is real case why US is going to hell? :-)

As people just sit like mokeys and are unable to think. Our mind is designed to work if resources or energy are scarce.

• No they don't want you to keep the contents. Gotta renew the membership if you wanna watch the same movie.

Anyways... most people don't wanna go through hassle. Most people I know in person use Netflix for both streaming and disks.

• In fact, my proposal is not streaming.

But individual partial encryption and usage of torrents and good catalogs. So, you could download whole film, watch half, and if you like it press one button on remote and pay for the rest (player or compyter will get decryption key and playback resumes after one second delay).

• Ban BluRay. Ban piracy. Then the only way to watch HD content is through paid streaming. But it's awfully slow in the States. If the streaming is the future, I don't see 4K TV becoming a mainstream anytime soon.

Via: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415117/2012-blu-ray-sales-trends-put-all-historical-sales-figures-and-comments-here-new/30

As for me, I think that total ban on dvds and blue-ray can be very healthy for economy.

• @Mimirsan

I don't see anything nice in phycical library, as it is very costly and inconvenient. You can't compare it to good server sitting in the corner with many TB, so you can play contant on any of your devices instantly.

• Some of us download HD content (say from the bay) but also prefer to buy Bluray discs also. I myself have eventually replaced a lot of my hard drive movie collection with physical discs. As a film and music lover Its just nice to have a physical library. Nice to have the extras like audio comms and docs also.

Sometimes some of these mkv rips look like shit unless you want to download the higher GB versions. Going off topic anyhoooooo....

• @brianluce He meant BluRay ripping by x264 then MKV distribution over the net. If everyone does that, it'll kill the film industry. It would've killed iTunes, too. But that didn't happen.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2032304_2032746_2032903,00.html

Johansen rejects any attempt to associate him with piracy. "As far as I'm concerned, it has nothing to do with me," he says. "I support fair use, which means that when you actually legally acquire content, you should have the right to use that content on any of your devices, using any application." For Johansen as for all of the pirate kings, it was always about writing good code, and what good code does is give power to the people who use it. That's the real reason the pirate apocalypse never happened. The pirates never wanted music and movies and all the rest of it to be free — at least, not in the financial sense. They wanted it to be free as in freedom.
  • The problem is cheap 4k for broadcasting, tvs and blu ray, plus 30+ crappy megapixels in cellphones cameras. At that point any customer will hire people saying: "Ehy, bring your pro stuff, my cellphone can do 4k, what's the point in paying you if you don't have more horsepower than me?". That could be a catastrofic scenario :-) Here's the point where DR, RAW, IQ and sensors will make the difference over the resolution. Some cellphones right now outnumber some good DSLR in megapixel run, and they have a sensor big like a nail's head. Maybe at the very end the equation will be resolved (maybe, again) on person's creativity. Imagination, straight out of the numbers :-) Any thoughts?