Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Flow Motion VS Orion v4b VS Sanity?
  • 41 Replies sorted by
  • I've completely ruled out using Sanity now, because like I said, I think it makes things look dull compared to other patches. I am now deciding between Flow Motion and Orion v4b. I'm also trying to decide between setting the sharpness on -2, -1, or 0.

Today I did some real world tests comparing Flow Motion and Orion at the different levels of sharpness and will be uploading them soon. I have converted all footage to ProRes 422 (HQ) before editing this time.

• @Ralph_B Your link is to edit a comment. I think you meant to link to your HDMI vs Sanity comparison at http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/93366#Comment_93366

@anthonyw I'm surprised you prefer Orion to Sedna. The scene you tested won't stress most codec settings very much. If you want to see the biggest difference, use a deep DOF and higher detail. With what you shot, many settings would look very similar unless you started doing editing or really pixel-peeping.

@LPowell Definitely tons of extra chroma noise, decreased dynamic range, etc. with ISO 12,800 so it is generally not the most useful for color work (just B&W for documentary situations, etc.). But my general impression of the weighting of detail vs. smoothness on each is similar at around ISO 1600.

• I'll have to give Sedna a try, what are the differences between all the version of Sedna though?

• @anthonyw Thanks for compiling the test shots between Flow Motion v2 and Orion v4b. The most noticeable difference I spotted was in the last clip, the details in the yellow leaves on the left side of the frame.

• @thepalalias - Thanks for pointing out that error. Here is the correct link to the Sanity 5 vs HDMI comparison.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/93366#Comment_93366

I hope people check this out because it's very revealing.

• I can't upload it to Vimeo yet because off the 500mb restriction, but here my experience with Flow Motion 2.02 VS Sedna A-AQ1.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/aafs46

I still am not sure what I like better between Flow Motion, Orion and Sedna now... or if I want to keep the Sharpness at -2, -1, or 0... the settings are driving me crazy.

• I guess I'm going to stick with Flow Motion and -2, 0, -2, -2

• In-Loop Deblocking won't necessarily make 'unusable diagonals' look any better - just softer over the square edges of the macroblocks.

Deblocking can only do as it says on the tin: deblock macroblocks - making it less blocky - smoothing the edges of the blocks. With my Intra settings this isn't a problem - effectively I could turn deblocking off altogether. Deblocking can typically release upto 10% of the bitrate and i have experimented with several variations on some of my settings to make use of this.

• Recently shot this using the flow motion v2.2 I ran into allot problems like digital snow,killed me in post!

• @chriscalifano.. Excellent video mate.. How did you manage to overcome the digital snow? Were you working with Adobe? @lpowell too.. What kinda workflow would you suggest to minimize it with FM?

• Thank you , I used Premiere pro for the short, as for the snow it occurs when the mov file is in PP and the hack dont mix for some reason gives all the dark areas this digital snow look. I tried turning the mov files into a different format. It was so annoying that I just couldn't convert them all so some of the shots were left as mov files and compression in vimeo got rid of most of it, thank god! I unfortunately stopped using flowmotion because of the problem and switched to the Sanity 5 hack which give me absolutely no problems in the dark areas. Here are the steps I followed. http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/easily-convert-mov-files-to-wmv-free/ I hope it helps like it helped me.

• @Aashay Before importing any footage into Premiere Pro, I review the clips and do a technical grade in After Effects CS5.5, using Color Finesse. This gives me an opportunity to correct any exposure or white balance issues and normalize the clips for editing. With Color Finesse, you can make grading presets which you can quickly apply to similarly exposed clips. After grading each clip, I use AE to render it to a 10-bit 4:2:2 Cineform file, using the Neoscene GoPro Cineform Codec.

Before importing footage into an AE project, make sure its project settings are 32-bit, HDTV (Rec. 709) working space. These settings will import Panasonic MTS files without remapping any colors, and if necessary, will convert footage from other cameras to the same color space. After Effects is one of the few video editors that can be configured to use ICC device-independent color management, and that makes it a practical solution for incorporating footage from a wide variety of cameras.

• For LL I find the combo of Flowmotion and a carefully tweaked Neat Video used in moderation gives me great vid that grades well. Not perfect, but very nice.

• @LPowell - Is it possible to give a rough idea of the average bitrate for FlowMotion 2.2 - in 24p "walkaround" outdoor use? I am talking about 24p H. (ie. The peak 100 mbps one). Do most people walking around find it to average 60 - 70 mbps - or more?

Also - does it seem to grade well using "Looks" etc?

Thanks so much for your time.

-Andy.

• @AndyS Average bitrates with FM2 will vary depending on how brightly lit and sharply detailed your subject is. 60-70Mbps is about right for typical scenes; with dense shrubbery bitrate can range over 90Mbps, and may push 24H videos into Turbo Mode, which can hit peak bitrates of up to 140Mbps.