Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Weird audio cd problem - does anyone have any clues what can have gone wrong?
  • I had some CDs made (replicated from a glass master, not just copied in a burner), and they have a really odd distortion which sounds a bit like an old dusty LP in the first few tracks, but the distortion / noise gets more noticeable as you go higher up the track numbers, and the final track is really, really bad. Track 1 has a bit of noise, but almost unnoticeable, track 28 is absolutely horrible. It sounds like an LP when you have grunge on the stylus.

This is an extract from track 27 (the CD has 28 tracks in total).

As supplied: http://snd.sc/WWAvgz

On the CDs I got back: http://snd.sc/OWtlJF

I've never heard anything like this and never had problems before with this company so any ideas what can have happened? Anyone know about CD replication from a glass master? Before I get back to the company!!

• 53 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks, @tetakpatak - that's good to know for me and for anyone else who visits this thread in future.

• Good, Mark :-)

BTW, just FYI, for the professional industrial CD production except DDP also widely accepted is Nero Image

• Hi all, just revisiting this old thread because I got some CDs produced as part of a project I've just finished. I know CDs are a bit old technology now but we had to do it as part of a project (we also made the audio available using posters with QR codes, so people could get at the audio that way).

This time I used DDP and no problems - I also used a different company (you'll not be surprised to hear)!

• Hi @Maria2345 not sure what you mean by

The defect may be on the sound element in the sound box

...but I got my re-pressed set of CDs back and they're fine. Well - when I say fine, they're still missing the CD text. So lesson for me - use a DDP next time.

• Good Buddy the problem may be there on the CD player . The CD's if scratched may produce such noise. The defect may be on the sound element in the sound box. Just go through it and check it out. dvd duplication Los Angeles

• Hi both - the intermediary admitted it was their fault or (to put it in their words, "we think this is where the issue probably occurred"). Basically I'm pretty sure both my master CDs had errors on them, which is obviously bad on my part and stupid of me not to check - the fact the second wasn't picked up by the plant suggests yes, that the intermediary should have sent on my second CD, then they would have found the errors on that and I would have simply sent better masters.

I believe @killagram that what you suggest is exactly what happened - that the intermediary simply copied my CD without checking. I can't imagine why they didn't just send my original backup master, as the replication plant would have picked up the errors on that, just like they did with my first. And yes, a huge pain in the ass, not to mention the worry I've had that they would try to wriggle out of it somehow.

Anyway I insisted they collect all the CDs which they've now done. I'm guessing they don't handle DDP files as they were copying masters and sending them on to the plant - so I didn't go down that route. I've burned two new masters and surface-checked them for errors, and also checked with EAC using wav compare that the wavs extracted from the first production run done a few years ago (which was perfect) are identical to wavs extracted from the masters I've just newly created for replication. They are identical. Of course, I can't simply send them that CD from the previous run as it never had CD text as I hadn't bothered creating it for that original run.

So...a happy ending (I hope - I'll know when the CDs come back!) but also a good lesson in how things can go wrong sometimes.

• @Mark_the_Harp isn't it possible that the second master from the intermediary was never error checked in the 1st place? I mean if you originally sent them a CD-Text (that the insert and/or disc clearly labels as a CD-Text) then why would the replicator strip that data channel? That's completely unprofessional whether it was stated on the disc or not. When I worked in Pre-Mastering I've received many discs that had unexpected surprises on it including unlabeled formats (which of course we're verified on the replicates in a bit-for-bit process).

A lot of this sounds aggravating to put it mildly, hopefully the replicator is willing to fix this issue and without charge (or better yet while lowering the bottom line cost of this job if it hasn't yet been paid in full).

• I could not believe it, when I found out two years ago, that CD-manufacturing companies accept burned CDs as masters for the printing process. The worst medium for storage and transfer. As long as defects do not exceed a certain size (I do not remember percentage, but the physical gap can be around 1.4mm) parity bits help to reproduce the original data without loss and without the need of interpolation. But burners can malfunction, disks can be burned too fast or have already aged too much, because UV light and oxygen attaced the dye because of poor manufacturing. Modern error interpolation will mask such errors, until they are litterally printed from a defective master.

I sometimes realign my CD-Players by monitoring the lasers´ eyepattern. Old machines, one already 28 years old, but completely serviceable and adjusteable. Printed CD´s have a clear, sharp eyepattern, but with burned CDs, even fresh ones, the eyepattern will show more noise, because the edges of burned pits and lands are blurred.

• @Mark_the_Harp Hi Mark, I am really sorry for your issue. You will probably have to re-print the CD's, they are unusable. Booklets are fine for sure. Except DDP, also Nero Image is used as standard for industrial reprinting. If you own Nero already, it will save you some money in the pocket, as the cheapest reliable software able to write DDP files is (as much as I remember from last year) Steinberg WaveLab, other softwares are much more expensive. Forget CD burning, transfer your (DDP or NRG data) master next time via FTP server, that is really safe.

• @Meierhans Thank you - yes, you're absolutely right. I have a very cynical view of businesses, but the fact they left the CD Text off is on its own a cause for having the work redone.

• Just an idea if all goes wrong and they say it was your fault: Didn't you send in a master with CD text and received CD's without it? Wouldn't this be alone enough reason to cancel the contract?

• Hi again - while I'm waiting to hear about this, can I ask a really dumb question: So my master got sent to the plant and failed the error-checking process at the plant. The intermediary company had my second master (the backup) but didn't send them that (I assumed they sent both masters on to the plant, but no, they keep one for themselves). So the intermediary made a copy of my backup master and sent that to the plant. The plant got this copy of the master and used that to create their glass master and produced the really horrible stamped CDs without presumably ever checking that it sounded really horrible.

I'm really puzzled about something: OK I didn't make a third copy of the master that I kept myself, but for all I know I can only assume that my backup master also had errors. I don't understand how the second disc (the copy of my master that the intermediary sent) didn't fail the error-checking process. In other words, if the intermediary company made a perfect copy of my backup master, wouldn't the copy that they sent over have errors too? Or would that depend on how they made the copy of my master? And, come to that, wouldn't a bit-for-bit digital copy have had the CD-Text that was on the master but somehow failed to get onto the pressed CDs?

And basically, wasn't that a really odd thing to do, when the first master failed the error-checking, to send a copy of my backup master rather than the master itself? I'm thinking that this whole process (if you can call it that) is what caused the pressing company to think they had an error-free CD and simply going with it, regardless of the fact it sounded horrible.

Hope that makes sense - it's a bit complicated to explain (diagrams would be easier!!)

• @Mark_the_Harp actually your initial assumption was correct. Replication facilities with professional capabilities have clean room environments with "bunny suits" and all. In the mastering department such clothing is mandatory so chemicals don't burn through your clothing and/or skin, let alone contaminating the stampers (think so many particles per square inch). Also many people in these fields take pride in their work, classify themselves as audiophiles and can personally vouch for the finished product before the client ever sees it.

• Thank you both SO much - I was getting so paranoid that the plant was going to blame me for this somehow, and it's really depressing when you've done a ton of artwork and recording to have this happen. I have to smile at your description @DrDave as that's exactly how I imagined a CD pressing plant to be - all protective clothing, white gloves and hermetically sealed rooms where scientists sit there carefully polishing the pits in the masters before lovingly and delicately loading them onto the machines.

• @Mark_the_Harp like DrDave I've heard much, much worse in the field that oddly enough sometimes the customer approves (typically when it's a low profile label or an "artist" going for that college project distortion sound, very painful to listen to). In your case though and with that genre of music I would never in a million years let it fly - it's pristine, beautifully recorded and sonically transparent so it only intensifies the glitches in the duplicate version.

@DrDave thanks for the compliment. You have a lot of knowledge on CD replication, have you ever worked in the industry? I know a lot of people who presently do this for a living and it sounds like you've dealt a lot with replicators or even worked for one at some point.

• You have a common problem. I have heard worse, seen worse, and have two examples of major record labels where they actually used audio from another project, so we had to go through thousands of CDs, open them, check that they had the right group playing, then reseal them. I have seen several times runs of 2,000 that had to be dumped. I have seen boxes of discs that were unplayable. I have seen big dropouts, so that there is a loud click in the audio. Basically, absolve yourself of the idea that these places are like a doctor's office, where highly trained professionals are examining every bump on the CD with a scanning microscope.

The fact is, that there ARE some highly trained pros working in some of these places. But there are also some some seriously hung over rockers :) If you had Killagram working on your project, you would not have this problem.

One place I worked with, they printed the CDs, and they didn't like the color, so they redid the whole run. I never saw the ones where the color was off, they just dumped them and redid them, and ate the cost. So guess what, they always get my business.

A lot of these discs, no one ever listens to them, or if they don't play, they just toss them. So you don't hear about it. Suppose in your run ten percent were bad, and you sampled one or two. You probably would never know.

I would say if I look at the last 100 projects, five had to be trashed, and another three or four had serious problems. So under ten percent, but still a big problem. If I go back to the previous 100 projects, the mastering was better and the CDs were better, but still a few of those had to be trashed as well. The real problem is if you have a thousand CDs and there are, scattered in there, 100 or so that are bad. There's no way to know unless you go through each one. So I usually take five-ten random samples, and put those on the Plextor to check them. I'm going to give away at least that many to radio, reviewers, etc, and that way I know that the review copy is perfect, so I solve two problems at the same time. Last thing you want is the reviewer to call you up and say, hey, it won't play in my car stereo (yes, this has happened).

I also built a duplicating tower from Plextors ( I now have a Blu-Ray tower that also does CDs pretty well). You get an "Acard" and some burners, and you can make perfect CDs. Using specially surfaced CDs, like TY "watershield" and say an Epson Artisan printer, you can make awesome CDs. You can even master HDCDs (you may need a license), which really do sound better. And you can do lightscribe in a duplicating tower, so that when the CD is burned, the tower will burn the artwork right into the other side of the CD (you have to flip the CD, DOH!) But who has time? Looking ahead a few years, it could be that the personal tower is the way to go, because physical CDs will be a tiny portion of the market, and you can then make audiophile CDs for those who want them. You can even get a special Yamaha burner to make CDs with larger pits that are a notch better than the Glass Mastered ones.

When you release the CD, release some video as well to market it. You can even burn a short Blu-Ray onto a regular DVD and have that duplicated en masse as well, then put the two into a double case.

If I have some time I will post some scans from some glass mastered and burner farm runs--you won't believe some of the error rates, and there are some perfect CDs as well.

• @killagram Have you heard anything as bad as my "before" and "after" examples - in your experience working in this field?

• @DrDave thanks man! Sometimes I wish that I still worked in the CD replication industry, but that was well over a decade ago. Nowadays there's very few professional replication houses around due to the MP3/iTunes transition. I guess like anything else in the technologically sector, accepting change is part of the process.

Back in the day any CD's that failed their error scans were called "coasters" since their only foreseeable use was as a drink coaster. I'm guessing that applies in your case and I'm sorry to hear it. Anyways I understand your frustration - if there's anything I can do to help let me know.

• @killagram I wish I had you working on my projects! It is so depressing to receive a few thousand CDs that basically need to be thrown away.

• @Mark_the_Harp glad to hear your intermediary had a back-up, I hope the next batch goes smoothly.

@DrDave if you're duplicating a small order for a quick turn-around, then burning directly from the master (on a small duplicating bay) is typically your course-of-action in pre-mastering. It definitely increases your chances for what happened to Mark_the_harp where certain discs may contain digital errors, but this should have been quality checked by QA on machines that do high speed scans of the discs (typically a few are scanned in each batch or roughly 10%).

On the other hand if you're doing a high capacity order with multiple color print on the discs, professional inlays, etc, etc...then going through both mastering departments is necessary in order for a timely turn-around. The audio is monitored AFTER it is written to the media for the mastering department and this ensures that the audio is not being altered at that stage. As for the mastering and replication departments, they do the aforementioned audio monitoring, error scans and so forth to ensure reliability. No sound is being altered in any given way since the media is literally a digital duplicate of the master. Pre-mastering and mastering departments do not alter audio unless the client specifically asks for a change. Where I worked this had occurred, albeit rarely. Typically the audio engineer had forgotten a step, made a bad transition or edit, didn't EQ the way the artist intended or whatever may be the case.

• UPDATE: My master CD failed the error-checking process, and the intermediary company kept hold of my second master copy and did their own copy and sent it to the factory. Presumably this second copy didn't show up any errors but for some reason it obviously had them in order to create the horrible sounds you heard. Anyway, they will be putting it right but it shows how these things can go wrong.

• @DrDave In response to your post 3 above this one, you make a good case for having a (set of) guaranteed identical physical discs. And in terms of my original post, your sentence "But if the pressing plant uses the right machine to rip the CD, it will have to "pass" meaning there are zero problems with the disk." is very useful, because I think I can argue that even if there were errors on the master disc I sent them, if they were uncorrectable then they should have spotted that and either used the second copy, or let me know.

I like the "print-on-demand" approach very much. It's similar to the technology that's been used to print foreign newspapers for years now, in mainland Europe - in other words, if you want a UK / US edition of some paper or other, you can get one. It's identical to the one you'd buy in New York or London or wherever, but printed locally, so there are no long-haul transport costs, but more importantly, they can be provided on the same day. The one thing you might miss doing that, is quality control.

You could argue that the answer to CD replication is not to use physical media at all, but for certain things it's good. It's great to have beautiful printed books (essential for our particular project with children as the booklets are handy for the words and for ideas on how to use the music tracks) and people (still) ask for CDs. At gigs people like to buy music CDs because it's a souvenir for them - and you can autograph it. Try that with an mp3!

• If the replicator is even burning one disk from a ripper to a burner, and the burned copy is exactly the same as the master, and has low error rates on a quality disc, you are not only getting professional service, you are getting excellent professional service. "Burn on demand", where the service stores the master image and burns anywhere from 1-10,000 disks, then drop ships those discs from multiple locations, is an excellent service.

As for mastering, and pre-mastering, that is exactly what I don't want. I want it to sound the same as my master. Some people may need that, but is the replicator house the place to have your music mastered? You have to be in the same room with the music, with a matched pair of speakers and a bottle of single malt whiskey.

So, for example, I used to fill my garage with product. Let's say I have 120 CDs, and I order 2,000 each, well, holy cow, that's a whole garage full. In fact, that is 240,000 CDs.

Now let's say I'm in Tokyo on a gig, and a store in Germany wants a box for the next concert. Well, I go online, the CDs are printed in 24 hours and sent International Priority mail, or even express mail, to Germany. Not only is this a big upgrade, but I don't have to take boxes of CDs on the plane and through customs, and so on.

Let's say I'm selling through CD Baby and I'm in the Netherlands, and they want me to fill an order. POD, drop shipped to CD Baby.

And as a final example, let's say I mess up the master. Well, I print five, and if there's a problem, I just fix it.

Epic difference. In practice, you will want glass stamped presentation copies of the really big sellers, and POD for everything else, but you can mix and match. Better yet, a double CD with pre-ripped, HD MP3s on the extra disc with some video samples thrown in as well.

• A lot of good information on this post about CD replication and the digital errors that we come across in the field. A few years ago I used to work for a CD replicator in New York as a pre-mastering technician. It was our job to write DDP masters along with "100%'ing" or monitoring the audio before it enters the mastering stage (otherwise known as "creating glass" for the replicators).

I'm not sure I can add to this conversation since a lot of good facts have already been mentioned by @DrDave and @Mark_the_Harp, but I can surely say that if your replicator is simply "burning" discs from the master, you're getting burned (no pun intended). It's not a professional replicator. Then again who knows how many exist nowadays since the world has turned to digital/MP3 format about a decade ago.

• The guy who wrote the dithering curve for izotope--he was working on his own and then hired by their company--writes the best dithering code, but the built in POWR3 is tried and true, and is excellent. Dithering is not about noise (well, it is noise), it is about resolution of fine detail, dithering is used in photo and scanning apps exactly the same way--LL detail.

The reason I mention it is that your masters won't match if you rebounce the wave from the DAW timeline. That's because the dither is random. You won't hear it, but the waves won't match, especially in "silence" spots.

You can certainly go with DDP, but the process I use results in a physical CD which is then a benchmark for the product. IF there is a problem, either with the data or the error level--the main two causes--you can send them yet another clone of the CD and say, hey guys, it isn't the same.

Also, ripping a CD in a pressing plant is straightforward, Just make an exact copy of the master. Processing DDP or other forms invites people who don't understand digital audio (which is most, sad to say) to screw up your recording. OTH, they may be slightly less likely to mess with it. I use physical discs. You can't argue with the, Hey, here's the master, here's the copy, they aren't the same, do it over and do it right.

On the surface, DDP would seem to offer some advantages. But if the pressing plant uses the right machine to rip the CD, it will have to "pass" meaning there are zero problems with the disk.

And lastly, I don't master in 44.1 anymore, but that is a separate topic. 48 or 96 is the way to go since everyone is going to store it on a device, and the audio should be future proofed for high bit content delivery. Then for an actual CD, you would use a high end machine to get the best 44.1 CD master, but the "real" master is digital, as more and more companies are going to all digital publication. Especially on the harp, you want that extra layer of high frequency harmonics. Why have the end user listen to a cheesy MP3? Master your own final, digital product at the highest available bitrate.

Your company of choice should handle all of these things, you should not have to worry about bad product. But unfortunately, you still have to spot check the product to see if some clown remastered it or if they used cheap discs with higher error rates. That's the world we live in. A physical disk, placed in a drawer, is the way to spot check the product, and plextools will make a 100 percent bitperfect copy for your hard drive, and write a 100 percent bit perfect master from the copy, with exactly the same offset should you lose or misplace the master. Ten years later, you will have what you need for a repressing, and you can check the final product.