Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Anamophic lens vs Cinemorph filter
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • @qwerty123 we're still working on it, but havent had much time. It'll more than likely need a bellows type system which was in our first initial design, or it would be a 4x4 matte box type filter. There is a bit of interest so we'll jump back on this soon...
  • I for one would go for a 4x4 filter, especially if it could go wider than the current cinemorph. (try to figure a way to get blue flares. I made my own cinemorph with an old lens cap, some patient hole shaping and some thick fishing line. I colored the line with a dark blue sharpie and as I said before, it turned my flares blue. I may go to the fishing store sometime and see if there is some thick, naturally blue fishing line I could try out.)
  • Yeah, another thing we wanted to do early on was offer colored filaments, and we still might, but in order to not limit people, we found that the neutral color filament that we use now was best to reflect the color that it's naturally refracting and streaking. Also, the flare can then be isolated in a lot of coloring programs and the color can be changed to whatever you wish.

Here is a cool video explaining the characteristics of anamorphic lenses and review of the CineMorph filter. It doesnt go in to or demonstrate the vertical smearing or bokeh that the filter creates, as much as we'd like it to show, but the video is informative for anyone looking to shoot anamorphically on DSLRs.

• There is also another cheap anamorphic adapter from Soligor that works quite ok with the GH-cams and old glas.

Here is a short test I made in winter:

(Camera shake is due to a cheap trypod and me shivering quite a bit;-)
    You can finde it from time to time on ebay, as Soligor is not producing it any more.
  • @Psyco

That footage is not bad. First I've ever heard of a Soligor anamorphic adaptor. I own a Soligor 20mm lens, and for being a "budget" lens, the optics are actually quite good.
  • @B3Guy you are a genius!
    i made what you said and here are the results!
    bravo!

my only addition was making it for a third party Cokin P filter holder (USD 4 on ebay) to make the things easier, and also to be able to rotate the DIY anamorphic flare filter
    it cost me nothing, because i already have all the needed things (:
    thank you!

Also a good thing is, as it doesn´t use glass, it doesn´t reduce the f stops as the cinemorph does

The fishing line is spaced by 0.5 cm, because that is the spacing that i find works better from f1.4 to f5.6, on a canon fd 50mm 1.4;
    On the lumix vario 14-140 did not work properly.
    (i didnt do the oval, because i didnt want the oval, but it would certainly work)

Greetings from Chile!
  • two nightshots with the same gear.
    P1010553.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 2M
    P1010554.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 2M
  • ps, the flares in the nightshots are not colored, because i forgot to do the white balance, so they were taken with the day white balance
  • I just had the craziest idea, that might and might not work. But the anamorphic bokeh comes from the shape at the back of the lens... So i figured... What if one was to make an anamorphic bokeh shape in the lens adapter?! A lot of M4/3 adapters has a lot of air inside, to make up for the flange distance. That means one would have enough room to mount something like that back inside it, which should mean that it would work on wide angles (or at least in theory) while giving anamorphic bokeh!
  • hahah here it is a quick test of your idea, it does work
    , but i´m lazy, so my oval ain´t that ovalistic

this test was made with cardboard on a canon fd to m/43 adapter with a canond fd 50mm f1.4 attached

(and is a shot of the light reflection on a window with water fog)

P1010556.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 6M
    P1010555.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 4M
  • Ah great! It hit me that the issue was that we have always put it infront of the lens, but on this camera we can do like the real thing and put it on the back!
    Could you try it with a wide angle too, just for safety (doubt it will make a difference)? I might make one myself tomorrow, but seeing as you have one prepared.
  • hahah sorry i dont have a wide angle, sorry :p
  • Ah all right! Well I shall make one myself tomorrow and see how it works... Might make a streak filter too.
  • hahaha super!
    i just love not having to pay to play with this things!
  • i´ll probably make a heart, a star and something else
    DIY bokeh shape transformer!!
  • I have a Sankor 16c Anamorphic and based on the videos I've seen of the CineMorph, I'll stick with the Sankor. It's a bummer it vignettes at anything under 85mm, but it gives a more genuine Anamorphic look in my opinion.

I did a quick test with the Sankor here. It's not much, but it's a little something:

The anamorphic was mounted to a Canon 18-135mm kit lens I got with the 60D via VidAtlantic clamp. I have since bought a Helios 44m to use with the Sankor, as I heard it was a good, cheap prime to use. And it's definitely a great lens to use both with the Sankor and without, I have had great results for a lens that only cost me about $40!
  • I have an FD-M4/3 adaptor coming in the mail (from Poland ;-)

I will try Bokeh shaping via adaptor on my 17mm f3.5 Tamron Adaptall-II FD lens when it arrives.

@camerondowning Yes, the real anamorphics are great, but as stated earlier, the cinemorph-type filter on a normal lens is a great tool for certain situations.
  • Essentianlly, the inner elements of the CineMorph have both an oval bokeh shaper (specially machined as every little imperfection shows up in the image bokeh if not cut properly) and a streak/flare element, all on a rotating filter frame so that you can align the shape and streak after mounting the filter to your lens.

It also has front threads so that you can mount ND, Fader and other filters or accessories.

We've been working with many big directors and DPs in the music video and film industry with this filter for awhile now. They've come to us because they dont want fishing line with rubber bands, or cutting cinefoil with exacto knives or any of the other DIY methods that dont allow you to focus your lenses properly or use other essential accessories. Some of those methods would look very unprofessional on the set of a shoot for a paying client or if you're filming Rihanna or Britney's video.

We think at $139 right now, its a fair price, especially when other streak filters start at $300 and go way up.

We'll also have a streak filter (possibly with colored streaks) coming soon on our site. It will not have the oval anamorphic element.

There are plenty of people who can make a DIY Zacuto Z-Finder out of a diopter and a cup, but in the end most people would prefer a professionally machined and assembled unit while on set or in front of clients. Rubber bands and fishing lines can look a bit silly, and we have yet to see how you can rack or pull focus on your lens while using some of those methods.
  • @VidAtlantic

in the end your product is just an overpriced pretty fishing line... and with the DIY you can focus, and also as it doesn´t have any glass you don´t loose any f-stop, if you want to make it look fancier is just takes a little bit more of work...

btw, i will not reply to your possible comeback because it will be like arguing with the dude from the video... pointless

...and this is just a reply because your selling argument is against all the DIY... i´m not against your product i´m against your fucking seller attitude, in a community forum...
  • @lolo nothing disrespectful towards you and nothing was directed at you. Light loss doesnt come from using glass, it comes from the oval anamorphic bokeh element. And maybe you'll understand why I'm here when you read the title of this thread topic, I'm here to inform on the topic at hand, not to make a sale.
  • @VidAtlantic thanks for all the insight into your filter! FYI, I would buy a blue flare filter with out the "oval" in a heartbeat! Some "fishing line" filters I have seen also use multiple fishing lines, and some are actually glass. What have you found regarding multiple lines? Is it overkill? Visible in footage? What about the glass ones (is it scored glass?) These are incredibly expensive. Could this not be don in an 82mm circular filter for cheaper?

Thanks!
  • Hey, guys - I know that it's possible to create a DIY anamorphic filter, but I wanted to say that a broadcast network that I currently shoot for is currently using VidAtlantic cinemorph filters on the show I work on, and it works a treat! It's very well made, robust, and does exactly what they advertise. A DIY solution is not really an option for this show, and we've had some great work done over the past few weeks with it.

If you want to save the bones, then make one yourself. But if you don't have the time and want something that just works when you take it out of the box, the cinemorph filter does just that.
  • as cowpunk says:

"If you want to save the bones, then make one yourself. But if you don't have the time and want something that just works when you take it out of the box, the cinemorph filter does just that."

that is the fucking point... specially if there is no really technical difficulties, or technology advances that limit the perform of the DIY v/s $
  • @lolo

This topic is not about DIY vs ready producs war.
    As you can see from the topic it is about particualr product.
    If you don't like something here you are free to make your own topic about DIY filters.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    my apologies my almighty moderator, and deerest hacker of all, i wasn´t tryng to start a war, or even a battle, i just got piss, i´ll be more careful next time, and try not to change the topic, but my argument remains... but i will say no more, probably there is people in the communty that find the direct info of VidAtlantic useful...
    love & peace!