Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Shooting and gear
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • @ahbleza

While I work with Media Composer and DNxHD on windows by choice, I do support two schools using FCP7 on macintosh. The workflow I have given them is based upon the methodology in this article http://www.producenewmedia.com/?p=193

Both schools shoot with a mixture of AVCHD and Canon.movs .. their workflows differ only with a passage through streamclip.

That is I am anything but an expert on FCP, I do keep a macbook only to provide support

• Thanks @kavadni. A question about workflow... since there is no transcoding, how would I create the ProRes proxies for editing? I'm using FCPX.

• I too have changed my order to MFT. I don't think I will be buying many MFT lenses .. I want to be able to adapt more lenses .. and I dont give any value to IS or auto-iris. I do not intend to buy any more lenses that will not cover at least an APS-C/super35 sensor.

I have the Viewfactor Continio Cage (it's arrived) .. on a Miller DS10.

I will use my SmallHD DP6 .. I will probably send it back for the SDI upgrade.

I already have 3 x 120G SSD .. used with Hyperdecks to record DNxHD .. waiting until camera arrives to get larger capacity for RAW .. and the price drop. If I decide to shoot a project in RAW, I intend to record DNxHD to a Hyperdeck .. that is produce TC matched proxy at same time .. this needs to be proven.

A matte box is not always needed .. for me in Australia I will need ND's .. I have a full blown Lanparte Rig, so will use parts of that as I wait and see what else ViewFactor release.

I am waiting for the Acer Iconia W700 tablet to be released for use with ultrascope .. it's thunderbolt and USB3.

My Workstation is 4 years old .. It's Dual Xeon .. I will need to upgrade my graphics card (Quadro 600) for resolve. I think I am going to need a second graphics card to make resolve work briskly.

In reality I think I will end up getting a new MB/CPUs/RAM with thunderbolt.

I am also waiting to see reports on BMD's new 'Ultrastudio 4K' .. it's thunderbolt

I would suggest thunderbolt or USB3 docks for the SSD.

Will my two-year old MBP be enough to edit ProRes422 encoded 10 bit video?

I am an advocate of working with proxies for editing .. an offline/online workflow .. currently I mostly shoot with DNxHD 220Mbits .. but always edit with 36Mbit proxies, until I pass it from Media Composer to After Effects.