Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PV member? MUST vote inside! A new career can start
  • Hello friends :-)

something beautiful just happened. Thanks to Nick Drifwood & VK for this.

My entry for the Rode Rockumentary contest made it to the finals. Out of 200 entries coming from 48 countries, I got shortlisted. It's the only footage shot with a hacked GH2, the patch was ClusterV6.

You can read Bruce Logan ASC comment on the footage "unique look".

Right now it’s all down to voting... more friends and you’ll win!

Your vote will enormously help to kickstart my career. In retun I will send you boxes of chocolates via express delivery!

Vote HERE - http://www.rodemic.com/rockumentary/47866136

Love,

• 133 Replies sorted by
  • @jupiter1 Solid - felt like the sort of tourism video I would expect to see broadcast on TV around here. A few very, very minor issues but not like I would expect on that sort of timeline. Good stuff.

• Hello everyone,

just a brief post to thank all of you guys.. and VK on the top for having me so much supported.

I guess that I learnt a lot from this experience, for starters that a good film-makers needs to be a good marketeer. Fact is, to be one of those and play it honestly, it takes some good and deep look at yourself.. who you are and who you want to be. A son, a wife and some special people taught me that pretty much everything goes around, what you give you get, so not in fear but in awareness I am glad that I played this the hard way.

In an ideal world, things should not be so messed about, but we know that where we're all standing is far from ideal. Our countries are armed with nukes, what's ideal in it?

As far as the results go they are final, by all accounts, I have no else information to confirm otherwise. Wondering how the other 8 finalist feel over this. And the judges.

I could have not made it without each one of YOU, fellow members, for your overwhelming support I thank each one of you personally, take this post as a sincere hand shake.. a lot of people helped me out and this is the greatest prize I had. Thanks life.

Soon I will post a BTS of the video on my blog www.444-films.com, come and share your views, door's open and kettle's on:-)

As for me, I am keeping on shooting (Bruce Logan told me so!) and I have just finalized a new video using the 444 Driftwood patch, for a non-voting contest on describing an experience in the Ligurian coast. I shot this last week, during the stressful time of the comp

Tell me what you think! Ciao!

• I don't know how this matter worked and if there was a fraud or not, but i want to talk generic about internet votations: It's a shame that anyone can go to some freelancer's website and hire people for voting, with 100-200 bucks you can win any contest based on votes in internet. Maybe some companies (like Rode, or smaller, or bigger) should contact via facebook random people, and invite them to vote for best video, putting up a money prize for voters (just one silly idea, maybe there are better solutions) . The bottom line is: they can't put videomaker's efforts and professionality in unknown hands, bots and people hired to vote. Hope it will change. Just my two cents.

• Do you mean the conversion rate of views to votes or the high number of plays on Rode's site without much play traffic on other sites?

Just check statistics, this guy had no support compain, had low number of votes, but few days before voting end he start getting votes fast (without any surge in views or loads).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I am not sure i see what you see. Do you mean the conversion rate of views to votes or the high number of plays on Rode's site without much play traffic on other sites?

• Shame he didn't came in second (the price : lot of mikes & stuff look better to me than 1st one...)

2nd place participant must be removed from contest, even simple check of 2nd and 3rd place statistics on Vimeo show that things are wrong, but knowing voting dynamics I can tell you that from top 4 only @jupiter1 entry has no doubts.

• Nonetheless, many congratulations to @jupiter1 for getting one of the top 3 spots. :) Great piece!

• Yep they are http://www.rodemic.com/rockumentary/en

First one with ~3000 votes in advance... our guy to the 3rd place. Shame he didn't came in second (the price : lot of mikes & stuff look better to me than 1st one...)

• @thepalalias

I have no idea.

Rode guys completely fucked the contest, this is that I know for sure.

• Are the results finalized?

• @mpgxsvcd I was trying to make the checks you did. Except the thousand of votes in a few hours, there's nearly zero attention on their videos in embedding sites. Smell of script here...

• "life is a soundcheck" 3677 votes ... lol

• just my 2 cents.. Prime-time TV ? Well, I used to work for a TV (Sky) and I tell you that the prize is simply not worth the AD investment. You'll end up in misery :-)

Love you guys

• @mpgxsvcd @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I would not worry too much - they seem to be periodically correcting the votes.

For instance, the other day The Collector had 792 votes. It is currently showing 710.

My read on it is that their script (or manual correction) is setup to work retroactively rather than at the input stage.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Yes you are right. I see that the statistics for the other two videos are not working anymore. I tried to trace where their videos had been posted online to see if that is where the traffic is coming from. There were some reddit and other posts but none of them had any attention.

The guy leading has only gained a couple of followers in the last few days. No way he has convinced more than 2000 people to simultaneously sign up at Rode and vote and only gained a couple of people as followers.

If they simply go the word out to more people then that is fair. If they are running an automated script then that is not. I wonder if Rode will check into voter fraud or not?

• @mpgxsvcd

He is not the one only. Another guy already passed 3rd place and will catch up tomorrow. Having much more votes than viewes. :-)

As for so quick votes. Other theory is just major prime time local TV spot. At least you can see surge in likes on vimeo and they are all local.

This surge also happened during Vimeo statistics turn off.

• Ok something is very wrong here. The other guy just put up about 2000 votes in a few hours. I call BS on this one. He was consistently staying about 100 votes ahead and then BAM 4 times as many votes in a few hours on the last day.

He is probably having people create multiple accounts and voting many times. I wrote an automated script once that would create an email account and then sign up for a sweepstakes. I had a dial-up modem at the time so it would disconnect, grab a new IP address, and then repeat the process.

Can anyone find out how the other guy got so many votes so fast?

• Voted! Very nice work.

• Voted, and definitely better and more original than the one in the top spot in my opinion.

• Impressive video love the whole concept & specially the images. Keep up the good work, by the way just voted for you.

GOD Bless

• voted! great video! I am very impressed.

• You got my vote! well done, thats really cool.

• The GH2 at its best. Wish you success. Just a quick note. You got my vote!

• In case anyone has not been following the results.

• Paolo (@Jupiter1) has 501 votes. Unfortunately the leader has 572.
    • Voting closes on the 28th.

Like Paolo said, you guys are helping close the gap. If we get a few more people, he could win. :)