Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 film modes
  • 127 Replies sorted by
  • after conversatian with work moving with award and arse (fk knows) ward winning award general gentle award staff - all up to you x

• 'When I try adjusting the sliders-- saturation and noise reduction-- I really can't see any severe difference those adjustments make.'

I don't know about the GH2, but with my GH1 I see definite differences in the cameras response with the sliders and across the modes. Sometimes they are subtle, and sometimes not. I have found that Vivid, Nature and Dynamic have some color bleeding issues in some situations but can function well where the sun is blaring and bringing a well lit sense of contrast to the scene. And the fact that Nostalgic, Smooth, and Standard can nearly pop a full F-stop into the mix is telling. It means that the camera is capable of sensing a wider range of values than is present within modes. I originally thought the modes had little effect on the final image because the ability to set the values is limited to 2 in any direction. But this is very similar to the abilities of higher end cameras to set their matrices very precisely in order to achiev e specific looks and responses from the camera sensor.

So, after much experimentation, I see great possibilities with the modes and I'm not surprised that High Dynamic became a mode in itself in later versions of the camera. To hack the modes however may be harder than it seems because that would entail a very detailed understanding of their place in the overall interface of the original design of the processor/sensor mechanics. Using other panasonic cameras and the designs of their GUI's may yield a helpful hint or two--BUT that is a rather Herculean effort, I would say. I propose that maybe we get a petition in order--getting panny users to contribute together to ask Panasonic to expand the parameters of the modes and a more comprehensive explanation of their workings for Panny users. Maybe even give hackers a sort of universal master key to expedite the process of said expansion.... Perhaps it asks too much?... Maybe I'm wrong?