Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 resolution in upsizing
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • Obvious troll is obvious....

• Did we find a possibility to add a new codec mode on the GH2 or not yet ?... Change the codec algorithm and bring a new one that exploit more the GH2 ? i have impression that the GH2 have not limit, feel weird.

• It's not what Apocalypse do already ? matrix 444 + 2.5K MJPEG = nice couple

• While I doubt very strong that the upscaled MJPG will exeed AVCHD, there has been alot tests about a year ago, but this might indeed be useful when it comes to chroma keying. If the scaling happens before the downsampling to 4:2:0 it should preserve some more color values.

• @inqb8tr

Yes a shoot in MJPEG Mode (one of my favorite for exploit the GH2 and other cam)

I set 2.5K in Ptools and i'm checking at this moment what is the limit but i feel that i can't go up than 3K "Generally AVCHD on GH2 gives better IQ than MJPEG does" -> not sure of that when you know that AVCHD don't take all the picture details.

Low Light and Shadow Areas is just a question of Postprod, i prefer to use MJPEG mode than AVCHD in postprod.

Tomorrow i will take time to show the comparison between the 1080p AVCHD and the 2.5K MJpeg (with downscale to 1080p) too bad you didn't see the video i upload before that show how nice is the 2.5K MJPEG

• Perder i already show the proof before... i deleted the video because i keep the sound that i was not supposed to leave it ;) (private video)

Here GSpot print screen

pic.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 379K
  • @Neverprod You shoot in mjpeg mode, that you have set to 2.5K in ptools? It is interesting to see how far can it go. Generally AVCHD on GH2 gives better IQ than MJPEG does, especially in low light, shadow areas etc. Maybe some comparison would make sence, 1080p avchd vs 2.5K MJPEG downscaled to 1080.

• pics or it didn't happen..

• Sorry i deleted the video, i made a mistake (keep the sound) ;)

Ok let me on a better way.

I need to shoot a commercial pub and i want to show more about the possibilities of the GH2 That i check what is the resolution limitation on record mode.

I first test 4K but it fail, when i press record nothing happen, well i decided to test 3K resolution it reccord but stop... after all i decided to test the BMCC resolution 2.5K, it work perfectly

I forget to say that i use settings from Apocalypse 444 with some personnal modification.

When is say RAW i mean the Raw of the GH2 not the Raw Raw ;)

fatpig i really think that the GH2 record in 2.5K i don't have that much details in 1080p/720p with the same settings and more if i downscale to 1080p i have a more detailled 1080p than what the GH2 usually record in 1080p

• it is upscaled. look for real detail. ;)

• The media info :) I set the GH2 in HD/Image Animation Change the 720p30p resolution to 2,5K 30p resolution

P1020121.MOV.MediaInfo.txt
  • @Neverprod It is really difficult to understand what you are saying since you do not talk about how you are setting things up or approaching this.

What do you mean, exactly?

• you must have some kind of special gh2 when you can shoot 2.5k raw video with it..

• How did you set your gh2 up to shoot 2.5k? Thanks.

• Here a sample footage (i add a so small color grading)

Don't forget that this is a heavy compression MP4 with a bitrate of 20mb (not even)