Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @danyyel Like I said earlier, I am not disputing the probability of it shipping with firmware in similar form. I am simply saying that the more the company hears about how important it is to fix the firmware, and the greater the sense of an effect on the sale they feel it will have, the more likely they are to address it.

The biggest factor will be the cost of firmware development vs the potential sales volume they believe they will gain or lose based on adding it.

• only VK can help this camera sell, otherwise I can not see any strong points, today we have so many tested patches for gh2,

as much we know about GH3 is more and more disappointing

long live GH2 and VK crew, make a donation I will

• @thepalalias unfortunately those two example are from small to medium company that are entering there respective market with new product that can only sell buy being hyper competitive or unique in there respective market. Now we are talking about some of the biggest corporation that have whole line of product etc. So they will listen but to a certain extend.

For me Pana looked at the success of the OMD, hailed a a very good photo camera, looked at the video and thought that it was a good compromise in terms of video/photo camera. Looked at how much it would cost them to do the r&d of a chip that could equal that, if it was possible for them even to do that in terms of DR and low noise and thought that for the market they were aiming at it was good enough. It might not sound good because of the romanticism that has developped arround the gh2 and the hack community, but

• Ops sorry obviously didn't check ;) thanks for the info thepalalias.

• @fix It is on the list of question from PV Photokina team. You can check what they got back.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Since Inoue is a "senior engineering planner" at Panasonic what you say about him not knowing if the GH3 HDMI is 4:2:0 is not likely.

As for the sensor...he said "no comment". If it was made by Panasonic and not from Sony (or someone else) why would he/they be so reluctant to say so?

• Has anyone asked the Panasonic reps. about any possible future firmware upgrade to avc-ultra (avc pro)? supposedly most models after nab should have such upgrade in 2013. That would open the door for a lot of possibilities..

• @danyyel I hear you and understand what you mean, but the BMDCC is a good example of how things got better (and some of the SLR Magic lenses have been spoken of as improving similarly by certain members of their beta team).

There may not be the highest chance that Firmware changes will fix it before release, but there is still a real possibility.

• Contrary to many here, I have very little hope that we will see any changes to the final camera. The thing is that almost everytime I saw such situation about changes in camera from hardware specification and image quality, the final version was exactly the same than the announcement. How many time have I seen people saying, no it is only beta, not final version, you will see brand Xor Y can, cannot, will not and in the end it was the same thing that we saw from the launch or some leeks one month before delivery.

• When it comes to the current discussiom about GH3 vs GH2, I am tempted to paraphrase (by their mid-90s names) Notorius B.I.G. and Puff Daddy.

"Mo money, moire problems."

When it comes to the moire, I feel that Panasonic have a fighting chance of correcting whatever issues may be present before the camera is released, but the truth is that we have insufficient data to know whether it really is more of a problem than the GH2 at this point.

@RatLabProductions I switch cameras around a bit so I will take a swing at that question.

The GH2 sensors strengths were:

• Crop factor desirability and flexibility compared to many other M43 offerings.
    • Video downsampling/rescaling quality.
    • Video side effects of the downsampling/rescaling included better moire handling, detail preservation and resolution than competing DSLRs at the time of release (and for a long time after).
    • Great ETC option for telephot shots (though noise could be better).
    • Framerate: better than some, worse than others but definitely a plus for many U.S. customers with 24P approach at time of release.

Weaknesses:

• Dynamic range.
    • Banding.
    • Incosistent shadow handling.
    • ISO (in terms of low ISO noise in particular - ISO range was better tahn initially expected).
    • Rolling shutter.

Now the market is far more competitive now than when the GH2 was released so people are expecting new things. But the GH2 was (and is) one of the best video offerings in the price range.

How the GH3 compares in terms of strengths and weaknesses (for instance if it turns out to handle moire more poorly than the GH2 or if it handles it better) could be what makes the difference for some potential customers, more so than new features like 1080 60P.

Oh and here is a list specific to the hacked GH2.

Video Pros:

• Unusually high quality options for the codec.
    • Lots of GOP choices.
    • Customizable bitrates (including unusually high ones for practically every mode on the camera).
    • ISOs from 160-12,800.
    • Great I-frame only support with unusually good noise structure preservation.

If you want to really see a lot of what the GH2 does right and also where it falls short, a fair comparison is the C300. The two cameras have more in common (sensor-wise) than a lot of other pairs, even though they are different sizes. But the C300 has the edge in several areas and I cannot think of many IQ areas where the situation is reversed.

• Moire and aliasing seems to be far less obvious or present in videos which obviously have turned down sharpening. It also seems to be the difference between a video look or a cinematic one, so it shoudn´t be a problem unless you want to shoot with a video look.

With the gh2, there can be problems (most notably with certain very high contrast patterns) with some lenses and no problems with others, and not always in a linear fashion. It wasn´t as simple as panny lenses producing it while others didn´t. (always, that is) Different encoder settings worked it differently, too.

I´m suspecting a bit and trial and error testing to find out when the problems occurs with the gh3.. if hacked, I think this is a possible area of improvement, too. If the encoder tables are to blame, that is.

For instance (to back up my reasoning above) if you pixel peep the Genesis video, you´ll find some very clear aliasing in the scene with the guy on the bed, shot from above (I´d guess it´s with the slr magic 12mm as it looks like it was shot wide open - it could also be the 12-35 but I wouldn´t bet on it). I´d also guess this was shot maybe at 720p50 intra.. or 50p @50mpbs. Maybe the amount of information / lack of bandwith makes certain parts of the image go into fallback mode (to coarser encoder), leading to moire and aliasing?

• Yes looking at the shot I am thinking the same thing. It could be a very sharp less and perhaps some Panasonic processing that we see with there lens. It does look a lot like Sony Nikon d600 moire. That is, not coloured moire like we use to see with the Canon but just a monochrome wave like moire.

• @mpgxsvcd, I think that the other aspects of how data is processed will also have a huge effect on the image. Surely Sony and Pany have different image processors. There will some similarities, but I think there can be differences based on everything else in the system besides the Sensor.

So far the Moire/Aliasing doesn't seem to be present in every instance that you'd expect. Perhaps as some have suggested it is a symptom of the Lumix lenses and maybe it's not an issue when using other glass that isn't corrected for or as sharp as some of the Lumix lenses. We need more testing to see what the final verdict is on that.

• I think that Vladnik is right, it may be the combo of the lens and camera.

The stuff I watched I just couldn't see anything nearly as bad as what was in that guys' short, and the footage wasn't done with Panasonic glass.

Oh well, time will tell.

• I think it goes beyond raw for sensor processing. I don't think that even at raw level you get the same colors from Sony or Nikon camera in raw?

• In last resort we can have a mosaic filter for the gh3 :-)

• @Aria

There is so much more to the image of a camera than what Sensor is used. Yes it's a huge part of the system but there is so much more about how the image is processed.

Unless it shoots RAW video. Then it really does only matter what sensor and filter are used.

but so far I can see that Moire/Aliasing is not a consistent problem

If it is ever a problem then it will always be a problem because you never know when it is going to happen.

• There is so much more to the image of a camera than what Sensor is used. Yes it's a huge part of the system but there is so much more about how the image is processed. I could care less about what brand of sensor is used. I'm more interested in how the entire system works and in the case of the GH3 I think there is improvement all around. We still don't have the final version so it's hard to say just how much has changed, but so far I can see that Moire/Aliasing is not a consistent problem. In time we'll get to the bottom of it as to what is causing the problem.

The GH3 footage has IMO been very spotty so far. Sometimes looking great other times looking less impressive. It will take time to see what is the best way to get the best image. I also hope that we'll again see a hack to add a few things and improve image just as we've seen with the GH1/2.

• @AKED Looks like a fair bit of aliasing, about what I'd expect from a Sony DSLR... not too bad, but I gotta say not nearly as much as the GH2.

Aaarurhgghghg, I'm dying here trying to stay positive about this camera, wish I could use it for just one hour, and blow myself away with some awesome footage.

• Any news on the color profiles? Can we get a flatter image?

• Why does everyone hold the GH2 sensor in such high regard? Other than resolution it really didn't have a ton going for it.

I have no doubt this Sony sensor will be an upgrade. More dynamic range, better colour. That is what we demanded as users.

• Her eis another short one:

• When Bloom's video was released... I knew it looked a lot like NEX5N footage, and now we're more or less positive that the sensor is by Sony. Well, not a bad thing, but it's interesting to say the least. Hopefully this is not the first step of Panasonic's innovation being stifled by an endless wave of low cost Sony sensors / parts. First Nikon, then Panny, then I'm predicting Olympus and everyone else at some point... until every camera is just a flavor of Canon or Sony. That's the kind of a nightmare I don't want to live in.

• @mpgxsvcd I will PM you since this is not really GH3 specific for the rest, but I will just take a monet to quickly address the bitrate part on the GH2.

On the GH2, the choices for 30P capture were (for the most recent firmware) HBR or 80% mode. If I wanted to get the maximum frame size with hacked setting for 30P capture, 80% mode completely outperformed HBR in the demanding hacked settings that supported it.

On the GH2 the choices for capture rates above 24P were HBR, 80%, SH, H, FSH, FH. SH and H supported higher frame rates but the hacked settings typically gave a much lower overall bitrate (which was in turn divided up among a greater number of frames). To try and preserve the maximum individual frame quality, I would sometimes shoot at 50P instead of 60P for my slow-motion.

So what I was saying about the GH3 is that if we have a similar situation, where the 24P settings can be pushed further than the other modes (for instance right now All-I is supported for 24P,25P and 50P but not 60P) and the VMM slow-mo modes are based on the 24P codec settings again, then there may be codec advantages to shooting it that way.

I will write a PM about the music video stuff now.

• lets wait for test with manual lens ... that will make things clear ...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions