Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
m4/3 to Nikon G adapter with built in ND's
  • I've been waiting for such a solution to become available since I first started using m4/3 camera's. I'm done waiting for someone else to do it. I used to be a welder and machinist before I took a career change and went to film school. I still have a lot of friends in the industry that could either let me use there machining equipment or might be willing to help me depending on interest.

Before I go down this road, I'd like to ask you all for some help and input.

1. How much would you be willing to spend? This will determine if there is a market and if it's feasible.
    2. Should I go for a slide in and out type filter system (cheaper, and can be available quicker), or a filter wheel type of system (more expensive, and will take longer to become available)?

If there seems to be a lot of interest, I might try to start a Kickstarter campaign.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Nice solution! I don't own any G lenses exactly because the solution with misplaced iris in adapter was terrible. I am not sure how much would I pay for it, the price range in standard Nikon F to MFT adapters is huge, from 20-200$, and that does not always reflect the quality..

• Optical element at the back of the lens will change focus distance, so that would need to be accounted for either adjusting the lens focus ring or the adapter length.

• @inqb8tr

Nikon G adapters don't have a built in iris. They actually have a mechanical ring that adjust the lenses own iris. Nikon G lenses are not like Canon EF lenses. The Canon's need electronics for the lenses iris to work, Nikon G lenses don't.

• @aki_hartikainen

Yes this is true, which means to get an accurate focus when not using ND's you'd need to use a clear filter.

• @Brian202020

Thanks for the info, somehow I got it wrong. Nevertheless, nice idea, go for it.

• Personally think it's asking for trouble. I think you'd struggle with space for a slide in type, and also compromise structural integrity with a slot that covers the sensor. It'd be almost as fiddly as using a mattebox or screw on filter. Plus we'd probably be using bespoke non standard glass which would be costly/pain to replace.

A swing away system like extenders on B4 mount fujinons, I just don't see where it's fit without being really cumbersome. You can't go down (plate), you can't go to the left (grip), you can't go up (flash overhang) and right you block the lens release. It could work on something like the mFT BMCC though ;-).

I still think the most convenient ND method for simplicity is a fader ND. They might not offer the best results in 100% of situations, but when you need perfect, you should be using a mattebox with slide-in filters.

That's just my opinion. If you think you can do it, and it's viable I'd support it. If you could build something of Novoflex quality with 3 swing away NDs in that space to be used on a BMCC, I'd pay $400 for something like that.

• Personally, I was thinking why no one thought about doing it. I think if there is a good system it could be a huge success in the Panasonic lumix camera and now the Blackmagic camera. The three system that we use now all have big disadvantages. The fader except the highend ones cause a lot of sharpness loss as from 35mm. They all causes the x artifacts, color shift to different degree depending on the model.

The second system is screw on filter. You can have some high quality glass for a reasonable price but you have to screw and unscrew these filter on your lens. The last system is the most professional but the price is very very high when buying 4x4 filters. You must count for about $ 200 + for one filter which is natural because the bigger the glass the pricier it is. Having a good mount at a good price where you could slide in some small high quality ND filters would be ideal. Have the same quality glass but at a much more reasonable price and very fast to implement.

• Just an idea: Since you are building behind the lens your filter will be much smaller size than a usual one in front of it. At this size you could use two polarizers in vari ND style, but instead of turning one of them you could add some liquid crystal in between them, which will turn polarisation based on voltage applied. Some very small battery could power this for years.

You might also think about electrodes on all 4 sides of the crystal, to create gradients. Finally you could simply mount an available small & clear LCD inside, but I dunno what the seperated pixels will do to the light beams.