Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SLR Magic 2x ANAMORPHIC lens
  • 804 Replies sorted by
  • @bannedindv - I'm assuming that you were making your remarks to me about the REDs. Yes, I know that high end motion picture cameras have the ability to do 4:3 or like it (Alexa too). People on this thread are hoping (actually thinking or predicting) that the pro sumers will go back to adopting it. I just don't see it happening. I would love good anamorphics, but they are a niche product. You can go back to hoping for this to happen, but I don't see it. Like Billy Bob said in Bad Santa, "You can hope in one hand and shit in the other- see which one fills up first!"

• @slrmagic - I would make an entire survey where people can select from every aspect that has been discussed in this thread -- lens v. adapter, squeeze, if lens, pref focal lengths etc.. This subject is now going in circles.

• @rockroadpix

We tried to add a poll but cannot insert the code.

16:9 mode is available on almost every camera now either by full sensor size or crops so we will work in that direction instead.

• @slrmagic

Thanks. Right decision to go for 16:9, broadest user/camera group now and in future and independant from camera manufacturers good will. Seems like you guys can filter all the different needs and wants here pretty good! :)

• quote... If you are deciding to make a good anamorphic lens, do not use the ag-la7200 as your IQ guide. I strongly suggest getting the iscorama.

well with schneider looking like they are designing a new lens and schneider own isco and the iscorama patents. and sigma's prototype. and mr apefos and his efforts. this is looking like interesting times the issue will soon be which part of the market they all go for?

• @slrmagic The approach of having the 2x characteristics in a 1.33 or 1.35x delivery sounds like it has a lot of potential. I would love to see the result.

@apefos 1.33x or 1.35x would be the minimum that would interest me.

• I won't be amazed if someone release an affortable anamorphic lens anytime soon. I can almost feel it man.

• @thalon_calico

I don't know what to say except we've discussed this already. If you don't care about shallow DOF and just want to change aspect ratios, go buy yourself an LA7200 and stop down or rent a Hawk and be done with it. Heck, just use guidelines and crop down from 16:9. Referring to others as "hobbyists" and urging SLR Magic to disregard their "ridiculous requests" while using all caps isn't exactly what I'd call professional either. We're trying to discuss here, not declare one or another option completely inferior.

I understand that your primary needs are resolving power and a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, but I disagree with your claims that 1.33x anamorphic is the best solution for your needs.

The aspect ratio from a 1.33x anamorphic could easily be achieved through cropping, or with a camera that just shoots Super 35. If you're professional, rent one of those. If you're not, chances are you're shooting 1080p, in which case the LA7200 already does the trick. The market for professional 4K quality 1.33x adapters is probably an extremely niche market. Are true professionals (RED users, etc. shooting 4K) really going to even consider buying something from SLR Magic? Many of them seem pretty "top-brand loyal" to me.

From my perspective (A 2x user), I once again ask the 1.33x crowd:

What is the point of an anamorphic if not to infuse the image with anamorphic characteristics? 1.33X lenses do not do this very well. I really feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but as far as I'm concerned, if you're not after the anamorphic look, you don't "get the point" of shooting anamorphic in the first place. Stop insisting that 2X or 1.5X lenses are ridiculous.

They're not.

I use one.

Lots of other people use them.

They can resolve plenty of detail.

The images out of them are beautiful, and impossible to achieve by any other means. (Whereas if you want the look of 1.33x, I would argue that you have plenty of other options besides anamorphic for achieving 2.35:1.)

Those after the 2X aesthetic can only achieve it by using a true 2X anamorphic.

That's the point of anamorphic.

Is the horse freaking dead yet? I have a couple pounds of C4 that I could stuff inside the rotting carcass if you insist, but IMO, that'd be a little extreme.

• @thepalalias thanks for the answer, i am almost shure i can do the 1.33x for small camcorders. What i dont know at this moment is what i can do for the gh2 and other dslr, it is time to wait the new design lenses to get ready to test and post here what is possible and what i cant do in the cheap route.

• Here's something for prospective manufacturers of anamorphic camera lenses to consider... How about an anamorphic lens to go over the viewfinder and/or LCD screen to unsqueeze the picture? This lens could potentially be made out of plastic to keep weight and cost down. It doesn't have to be super high quality - just adequate to unsqueeze the picture for compositional purposes.

• I disagree that 1.3X anamorphics don't have any of the anamorphic traits. Whilst more subtle, they are most certainly there.

It seems though it's an adaptor and not actual lenses, so I think that count's me out.

I do wish someone would do some reasonable 1.3x anamorphic lenses and not adaptors.

Here are some 1.3x HAWK lenses from an Alexa.

jb

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qe3Jc.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sxG9m.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/L0VsA.jpg[/IMG]

• The idea of a 2x front with a 1.33x or even better 1.35x back element is so brilliant, if it is possible. I was never a huge fan of anamorphics, but that is because good ones cost like a Prius for a single lens. @slrmagic maybe it would be better for you to complete a set of manual primes with a choice of mounts before moving to anamorphics. But one can dream - I would like nothing better than to wake up tomorrow and discover both slrmagic and samyang/rokinon released a full set of cine primes and anamorphic primes for a grand each. Asking questions and fishing for ideas like this is fantastic, a complete opposite of the Zeiss announcement of their anamorphics that cost (from) 30K each because many very serious men had to be locked up in a super secret lab for 5 years away from the unwashed masses researching and developing. Another advice if I may would be to take design into consideration as well. As much as I adore my slrm 12mm, it looks like a funny geek device (construction is awesome though). Take a cue from Samyang, it helps us (your customers) a lot as we are 80% of the time not able to rent Cookes or even Zeiss and we need something that looks respectable (intimidating is the new respectable). When you speak of the cost of materials, I am sure the glass elements are the top of that list, and sure, a bigger lens needs more glass. But don't go cheap on metal, and the size of the markings. If the FF puller can't see them, what is the point? I really hope designers and manufacturers like you can change the stale waters of the quality glass market. We are in the stone ages, with many people still trading lenses from the 50's... Is some dark magic (no pun intended)? One would think with the CAD abilities and nanotechnology we would have optics sorted by now. Or do we have to wait for an iPhonexx for that?

• @Ralph_B

Another plus of 1.3X anamorphic is you can use ANY 16x9 monitor with a manual 16x9 option in the menu. You automatically solve the monitoring issue by forcing 16x9 conversion.

jb

• From my perspective (A 2x user), I once again ask the 1.33x crowd:

What is the point of an anamorphic if not to infuse the image with anamorphic characteristics? 1.33X lenses do not do this very well. I really feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but as far as I'm concerned, if you're not after the anamorphic look, you don't "get the point" of shooting anamorphic in the first place. Stop insisting that 2X or 1.5X lenses are ridiculous.

@B3Guy

The very biggest issue with putting a 2X anamorphic lens on a 1.78 native sensor is you're cropping a gigantic part of the image so you're only using the CENTRE part of the lens where the anamorphic aberrations you like are less prominent. The edges are whgere anamorphic lenses get interesting. Not only that, you're drastically reducing your field of view. Your wide lenses aren't as wide.

jb

• One would think with the CAD abilities and nanotechnology we would have optics sorted by now.

Anamorphic lenses are pretty difficult to design and build, even for decent quality, nothing to underestimate.

• @johnbrawley 1.35x LENSES would make most sense if they can be made well and affordable in comparison what is on offer today (legacy glass with million pitfalls). Two of these shots are quite tight and display most of the artifacts that were named as desirable here. However, neither will slrmagic make a lens for an alexa sensor, nor will people here be buying alexa to shoot with their 1,3 glass. I would, at this point be MUCH MORE interested in seeing some alexa 4:3 footage made with 2x anamorphics, since this is the real deal and what Hawk themselves are showcasing on their own site (for a film S35 admittedly), and funny how they say it is "unfortunate" that the aspect is 4;3 :) as they are the ones to profit from that exact single fact. I am format/aspect agnostic, but seems to me that the two current cream of the crop options (for 2 very different looks) are native widescreen format(s) and a 4:3 with the 2x squueeze for those who love that spatial compression. Former is already the standard for 16:9 broadcasts and latter may well become the standard for cinema and some music videos. If the very BMCC released next 2 versions with an S35 sensor and a simmilar 4:3 for 2x anamorph, it might well set the industry on this path. Even if nobody releases any new lenses, renting existing 2x anamorphics (friendly with Hawk, aout to get even friendlier with Zeiss, just to talk of the 21st century ones) is exactely what happens now. Then enter some new manufacturers with a couple of their own sets and we'll have some serious progress. Having said all that (sorry) a 1,35x would kick ass for me, but first thing is to get rid of all the lomos, soligors and especially adapters of any kind.

• @slrmagic

1.33x is the most convenient squeeze but 2x looks the best. If you can make a 1.33x with the optical qualities of a 2x, well then that sounds like the best of both worlds.

I vote for lenses, not an adapter.

• I know .. The front of the lens should be 2x anamorphic squeeze. The arse of the lens should have a ~1.5x tele extender (enlarge image circle)

Now someone can tell me that it's too hard to do :)

• I have a hypergonar hifi2 which I love but I think the 2x 3.55 is a little too wide. I'd love to see a nice 1.5x 2.66 25mm lens with an easy to get filter size. Biggest factors for me would be no vignetting on a m43 camera even when filter is mounted and of course sharpness oh and (no coating that would get rid of the flares). Please don't do that.

• What about a behind-the-lens adapter? (2x) Didn't Kish used to make one for 35mm film? That could be sweet for M43.

• @johnbrawley

My 2x anamorphic footage is still wider than 16:9 footage with the same lens sans anamorphic, even with the crop. I'm increasing my horizontal field of view when using an anamorphic, that's what they do. If the vertical FOV stays the same and the aspect ratio gets wider, it follows logically that the horizontal FOV has increased.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hard-set on 2x. 1.5x can look very nearly just as good (partially because you get more of the edges, which as you pointed out have more anamorphic mojo than center image.)

In all honesty, I'm most intrigued by the 1.33x/"2x" lens idea, which I'm not sure I firmly grasp. If a re-explanation is too much, maybe you could enlighten me over PM, but here is how I am envisioning it working, front to back:

1. The front is a full-on 2x anamorphic, with all the optical effects that accompany the 2x squeeze factor.

2. In the middle is all your "normal" spherical lens parts (aperture, focus and various element groups). These combined with the anamorphic give us the "2x look". Only after this look is established by passing a 2X squeezed image trough the "normal" lenses, aperture etc. does it get . . .

3. . . . partially desqueezed at the back end so that the final squeeze presented to the camera is a reduced 1.33x squeeze, optimal for 16:9 modes on most cameras. But it maintains the 2X qualities because the light has gone first through the 2x and the spherical before finally being reduced to 1.33x squeeze.

Is my description accurate? I'm thinking that the spatial warp and "waterfall" OOF effect are a combined product of the anamorphic squeeze and the aperture. Whatever the squeeze is when the image passes through the aperture is what determines what intensity of effect we will see in the final image, regardless of wether or not it is then desqueezed by another element(s) further back in the lens design???

• I did some study about 2x 1.5x and 1.33x and now i understand better why some people are hungry for 2x. As much as the squeeze factor increases the more the anamorphic look become prominent, more oval bokeh, more horizontal flares, more paintlike bokeh. One interesting behavior of anamorphic is the squeeze increases when distance increases, this explain why the main subject get desqueezed and the background keep squeezed.

Nobody will match Arri Alexa and Zeiss look with other design than 2x in 4:3 sensor. This is fact, this is true. Maybe use 2x in 16:9 sensor and crop the sides can match the look, losing some resolution.

The 2x look with 1.33x squeeze in the same lens or same adapter would be the MAGIC solution. I need to say sorry and forgive for my lack of deep optical knowledge, but would this be possible? What a magical lens design to do it! The lens starts at 2x but i think when image go back to 1.33x it will lose the 2x features because there will be a desqueeze inside the lens/adapter before reach the sensor. This is a job for an expert optic engineer, and if it is possible it will not sell cheap.

• I added 4 new lens design to the anamorphic experiment. now it is 14 different designs. there are 12 for the squeeze factor and 3 for the oval bokeh and horizontal flare. Maybe the multicoating will erase the horizontal flare as someone said, so need to test it to see if it is better to do multicoating or not. lens flares and reflections is an issue to be avoided but in anamorphic aesthetic it is an artistic and cinematic look so multicoating needs test. after finding the best lens design it will be the time to test multicoating.

I decided to go on faster in the anamorphic adapter for small camcorders due to it have more chances to work on the cheap route. if i found a great desing for it among the lenses in progress so i can release the product.

The body design is ready and my plastic partner is machining bodies for some different threads, 30 / 34 / 37 / 40.5 / 43 / 46 / 49 / 52 / 58 / 62mm

I think i can finish the tests at the end of september (for the camcorder anamorphic adapter). I am following optical glass fisical properties, the results from my previous experimentations and my intuition. Of course there are chances for it not to work, because lenses sometimes shows strange light unexpected behaviors, but this is the way developing job is. Theory, design, experimentation, redesign, experimentation... until find the perfect solution.

The 14 lens designs in progress also includes lenses for tests in GH2. If i find one who works i will design the body for the GH2 anamorphic adapter after that, it will take some little more time to become a product. But as i said before, chances are small.

I cannot spend much more money doing designs and experimentations, so after this first batch i can do just a second try with a few more lenses design, and if it do not work i will stop.

footage will come if something works for camcorder and also for GH2. camcorders in tests are canon HV20 and sony HC5.

• readind wikipedia i found a possible solution to do the 2x image look inside a 1.33x squeeze. it uses two cilindrical elements, one horizontal to do squeeze and one vertical to change the aspect ratio:

"In later cylindrical lens systems, the change in aspect ratio required between focus positions was achieved by combining two sets of anamorphic optics in one: a robust "squeeze" system coupled with a slight expansion sub-system. The expansion sub-system was counter-rotated in relation to the main squeeze system, all in mechanical interlinkage with the focus mechanism of the prime lens. The combination of squeeze and expansion changed the anamorphic ratio to the extent required to minimize the effect of anamorphic mumps in the area of interest in the frame. Though these techniques were regarded as a fix for the anamorphic mumps, they were a compromise. Cinematographers still needed to be careful with their framing of the scene so that effects of the change in aspect ratio were not readily apparent. The first company to produce an anti-mumps system was Panavision in the late 1950s."

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters