Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SLR Magic 2x ANAMORPHIC lens
  • 804 Replies sorted by
  • apefos you should do. one man will always be able to undercut a big company and sometimes make a superior product. anamorphic good times ahead cheap and expensive. that reminds me i must find my big box's of loose vintage isco and benoist hypergonar optics. in fact i think some are triple element : )

• @stonebat +1 In that case slrmagic should definitely not downprioritize the bokeh and distortion, as some have suggested.

• @redstan Right, in case there are any misunderstandings it takes time to develop a product. We are seriously working on an Anamorphic but we will not come up with a lens in a weeks time. For example some of our lenses took years to develop. If the prototypes don't look good the project will delay. We never release half baked products.

• @slrmagic if you make anamorphic optics in the 1200-1500 USD range I will no doubt pay attention but my expectations would also be pretty high.

One thing also about lens+adapter solution, one really important point and seems to have gone by a lot of people in here: Such a solution, if done well, will be a much smoother user experience and you can design this user experience in particular for video (which is the main use for anamorphics anyway). Handling issues are one of the main reasons why people are hesitant about using anamorphics for productions..

• @slrmagic Pricewise, I think it is worth looking at what people are spending outside the anamorphic market on lenses they use with the GH2 and BMCC. In my case, that runs the gamut from inexpensive vintage glass like Minolta Rokkor or Tokina, to Canon EF-S and EF L series, as well as Panasonic pancake lenses and Voightlanders, etc.

In other words, the glass ranges in price from $30 to $1,700 per lens (excluding $10,000 dollar rentals). But the range that is M43 specific is priced in the $30-$1,200 range.

A great solution for $1,200 or below is highly desirable for m43. An m43 solution for $1,250-$1,500 is desirable. But at prices higher than that, I could really only see myself bying glass that would cover S35 or larger sensor.

There are currently no highly desirable m43 specific lenses above $1,200 MSRP. Only a minority of Canon EF L series lenses break $1,500. Thus, to make an M43 adapter or lens above $1,500 would severely limit the market. Even your own desirable upcoming T0.95 50mm is not designed for the m43 mount, and I think that was wise.

So my advice is that whatever adapter or lens you design be targeted to avoid crossing that $1,500 ceiling and ideally land closer to the lower range (the one that ends at $1250 upper limt). The price will determine the market just as much as the product itself.

Only the most dedicated will be willing to spend $1,500 or more on an M43 specific lens or adapter and I do not think you want to limit yourself to that market.

So yes, $1,200 to $1,500 sounds viable. Closer to $1,200 should help sales and none of it seems like unfair pricing. If you feel a good product can be realized at that price, go for it. But if not, if it would cost more, then it is not worth your time and money given the anticipated market size.

Also, I would definitely prefer a solution that "just works" for my specific camera as opposed to futzing about with extensive research, eBay and trial and error. I typically buy only inexpensive things off eBay.

• I started to experiment with some garbage blocks of glass from the 35mm adapter old times i have here.

I put some grinded glasses in front of a 16:9 old Hi8 camcorder to see what i could get.

After some comparisons and maths I found the maximum squeeze i can do grinding the glass blocks available to buy for cheap is 1.4x so i will end up with the 1.33x

I already have a damaged plastic housing for it with a 43mm thread to fit the HV20 camcorder (from some garbage of 35mm adapter old times) good enough for experimenting.

I do not do grinding glass or molding plastic myself, I used to hire some labs and machine houses work. So i need to see if that people are still on the job to ask them to do the glass grinding and plastic housing for me.

the design for the one optical element 1.33x anamorphic adapter for handycam camcorder is ready to build... i will try to find sometime next week to go to lab to do grinding the glass and see if it will work or if I am completely wrong...

i will try on hv20 camcorder, also i can try on gh2 but i think it will not work for dslr (and i do not know if it will work with the camcorder also, i am just hoping... fingers crossed!

• Whew, what a thread :)

How about an adapter x1.33 but with oval shaped aperture blades (or some matte/cutout) to exaggerate and make the bokeh look more like x1.5-2 without the need to crop?

Left-field: Could it be possible to make the adapter in between the lens and the camera?

P.S. I love my SLRMagic 12mm 1.6 :)

• Create a quality niche lens that is not a compromise.

A lens that would not appease everyone but just a very particular demographic.

A 2x adapter that is primarily designed for the:

Voigtländer Nokton F0.95/17.5mm MFT (35mm focal length equivalent). 58mm front filter.

Voigtländer Nokton F0.95/25mm MFT (50mm focal length equivalent). 52mm front filter.

SLR Magic Noktor F0.95/50mm MFT (100mm focal length equivalent). 62mm front filter.

Three super fast high quality lenses: wide, medium and tele.

Then you have a complete solution for use on the upcoming 12 bit 4:4:4 RAW BlackMagic Design MFT Cinema Camera.

It is highly niche, but there are no deficiencies, it's a dream system for a reasonable price.

Once a complete end to end system is there, you will have at least film school programs and independents as buyers.

It's not possible to create a lens that satisfies everyone, especially those who want to shoot anamorphic from 16:9 8bit 4:2:0 AVCHD, and want it to work on 'all their old equipment'.

The DSLR cinema revolution may have been started by the 5D, but Blackmagic type cameras are the future.

• I have not read all posts but I wish to comment on the debate between 1.33x, 1.5x, 2x and it is this:

Create a lens that has 1.33x in the infocus depth of field and 2x for the bokeh field. I believe this can be done using three cells, 2 squeeze to get 2x and one stretch back to 1.33x.

Thank you for listening

• I've used both Century Optics and Optex 1.33x adapters, as well as ISCO 54 and 2000 MC 1.5x adapters. On the GH2, the 1.33x adapters are more convenient only when shooting in MJPEG 1920x810 mode, where they produce a square-pixel image without post processing. Unfortunately, there is no way to hack the GH2 to produce anamorphic frame sizes in AVCHD mode.

For that reason, use of any anamorphic adapter in 1080p24 mode on the GH2 will require significant post-processing work to obtain an undistorted aspect ratio. In practice, all of the adapters I've used required cropping as well. The Century and Optex adapters require cropping because their left and right edges are too blurry and aberrated to be acceptable, particularly at wide angles and apertures. The 1.5x adapters have an inherently wider aspect ratio that needs to be cropped for widescreen cinema.

The anamorphic effects of the 1.33x adapters are too mild for my taste, but they do make the image look more "filmic" and less "digital". The 1.5x ISCO's are noticeably sharper, aligned better, and have a snap that make the Century and Optex adapters look dull. One of the crucial demands of using an anamorphic is carefully aligning the focus to minimize chromatic aberration in both vertical and horizontal axes. This is where the optical quality of the ISCO's make them well worth their premium prices.

IMO, the ubiquity of Panasonic's anamorphic adapter has established a price cap on the 1.33x market at $1000. The LA7200's image quality is acceptable and its plastic construction makes it light weight and affordable. The major drawback with the 1.5x ISCO's is that they are increasingly rare and overpriced. That, however, makes the market for a $1200 high quality, focusable 1.5x adapter look very attractive to me.

• @JohnBarlow Yep! Why copy old designs when they can invent something new! Go off the map and make us something with character :)

• @thepalalias Don't forget that there are tons of people in the world who happily pay much more than $1700 for high quality SLR glass. I don't mean Canon L (which isn't bad glass by any means, but certainly not the best) - I mean older Zeiss/Contax glass and Leica R glass (and a few others, occasionally). The Zeiss Distagon 21 rarely goes for less than $2K, and if you want fast, wide, or telephoto Leica R glass, $1500 is about where the prices start, and you could spend $5000/lens easily.

That said, the "tons of people" I'm talking about represent a minority - and a small one at that - but in the last couple of years a very large number of them have been cinematographers. They love the Zeiss/Contax and Leica R glass specifically, and with good reason - I have used Leica and Zeiss and Canon L, and I can say from experience that I prefer the former two. Cinematographers are also the group that this anamorphic lens is aimed at, primarily.

I'm not saying that the lens should be priced above $1500 - indeed, that's about the upper limit of what I am personally capable of paying for a lens, and even that would mean not eating for a few months. I also agree that a higher price would limit the market significantly. However, I think holding up the Canon L lenses as the upper limit of lens-spending isn't quite fair. After all, when was the last time you saw a good-condition isco go for less than $2K? I haven't ever.

It's also worth remembering that the 50mm T0.95 is designed to compete with exactly one lens - the Leica 50mm f/0.95, which costs over $10K. Considering it costs less than half of what its rival does, I think they did an excellent job. If anything is a waste, it's using such a lens on a camera with a tiny sensor.

@slrmagic ...nonetheless, please try to keep the prices reasonable. I really want to be able to afford one of these when they make it to market.

• @slrmagic thepalalias hit the nail on the head concerning pricing, IMO. Keep it under $1,300 if it is a m4/3 mount lens. If you move up to EF-s/APS-C (which I would highly sugest), it'd be fine to break beyond the $1,300 ceiling, you'd do well.

As time goes on in this relatively new world of digital cinematography, the lasting members of this world are, I think, becoming increasingly aware of the fact that "good glass is forever".

I've got a lot of old '80s photographic primes, and for the price and quality, they're hard to beat. But after going down that road, I'm now watching the market of more expensive lenses, waiting for the right moment to jump in. The right glass, although expensive, will be worth it in the long run. But the right glass must be flexible . . . I mean, it must look great on a wide variety of cameras. If I was designing an anamorphic for the market today, this is what I would do:

25mm EF-S f1.4 with 2X anamorphic front. Manual focus, manual clicked/declicked hybrid aperture, round (i.e. 9+ blades, not hexagonal/octagonal, etc.) It doesn't have to be a cinema lens, but keep breathing and extension of the lens front down at a manageable level. It need not be sharp at f1.4, a dreamy look is ok, even a nice look to have as an option . . . but once it hits f2.8, it should look much better.

Also, if you perhaps made the lens with a lens gear accessory and a good way of attaching said gear, that'd be amazing. A metal body would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. As a side note, I have a 17mm Tamron Adaptall lens that has a built in filter wheel. maybe something to think about, not even specifically for the anamorphic lens but for lenses in general . . . a wheel with a couple of ND filters somewhere within a lens would be an awesome innovation. With anamorphic, this would be especially handy because putting an ND in front of the anamorphic severely reduces flares.

• @LPowell You already have the currently top ranked Isco 54 with the largest size of all. What are the limitations of it? Would be great if you can share what camera and lenses you have tried with it so far.

• @JohnBarlow That's a fascinating idea you have there, actually. No doubt it would be difficult to get right and retain a high quality image, but the idea of passing light through the aperture at 2x and then transmitting it to the sensor at a lower stretch seems like something that would be agreeable to just about everyone on this thread. It would be the best of all worlds. Unfortunately, I would expect such a setup (if it were possible at all) to be much more expensive that a 'simple' anamorphic.

• @B3Guy I like the idea of an integrated filter wheel - Leica was doing a similar thing with their ultrawides in the 80s and 90s for a similar reason - putting a filter on the front of the lenses was impractical. It's worth remembering that almost anyone shooting with this lens will want to shoot it almost exclusively wide open (for the bokeh), even in bright sun. ND Filters will be more-or-less mandatory, so having them built in is a great idea.

• @B3Guy What happens if you put ND in front of taking lens and before the Anamorphic adapter? Does it affect the flares?

@Jackdoerner "Nonetheless, please try to keep the prices reasonable. I really want to be able to afford one of these when they make it to market."

For those who did not know we have a volunteer program for the 50mm T0.95 CINE lens. Its not free but there is a sponsorship but the program ends when we launch the lens at Photokina which is very soon. So for anyone interested they can email support@slrmagic.com for details. A link of previous work done would help. We also had the volunteer program for our 12mm 1.6 lens before. Volunteers get their lenses first then when we catch up with production everyone else can order it.

Some samples. Please be respectful for the works of our volunteers as all of them did the samples for us free of charge. Just enjoy with an artistic way.

http://blog.domisljije.si/2012/03/13/where-is-my-bike/

(Anamorphic sample with our lens)

@flydef If anything we would rather have our Anamorphic to work with our current lenses. 12/1.6 and 50/0.95. Expect something new inbetween at Photokina.

-Andrew

• @slrmagic

What do you think about set of cheap T4 primes - 8mm, 12mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm, 45mm, 100mm.

Plastic only housing and mounts. No electronics. Simple focus ring.

I think it can be amazing market apportunity, especially if you use many cameras and want matching sets for cheap.

Almost forgot - you change aperture inserting another plastic thing inside (can be smaller, or star, etc).

• @jackdoerner Thank you for kind words. True, the math involved in designing an adapter as I described would be tedious but there are optical ray tracing softwares which can handle this. In short if you understand why an ana adapter still has s q u i s h e d Bokeh after resizing, or for that matter why double gauss lenses back in the day have swirly Bokeh like Biotar Xenon etc like any optical engineer worth his/her salt should,then you will see the sense of my suggestion. As for cost, figure on an extra 50% for the third cell.

• I had the ISCO 54 for about six months last year. It produced gorgeous images that exceeded the 1080p resolution of the GH2. The ISCO's smooth focus throw allowed precise alignment with the GH2's magnified focus assist. It worked beautifully with a matte box and the Tokina ATX Pro II 28-70mm f2.8 zoom, which has a non-extending front barrel. I also used it succesfully with the Rokinon 35mm and 85mm f1.4 and Sigma 28mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 primes, down to f2.0.

The combination of the Tokina and ISCO 54 was massive and required a custom 15mm rails mount for the ISCO, which worked ok but looked funky. In the end it was just too heavy to take out in the field, and the ISCO Widescreen 2000 proved to be more flexible in practice (but required a set of diopters). I reluctantly sold the ISCO 54 and can't really afford an ISCO 36 at this point.

P1040727.JPG
    3136 x 2352 - 1M
    P1040728.JPG
    3136 x 2352 - 1M
  • Why is this love for the ISCO54?

I suggest people look at this page and reform an opinion

http://forum.mflenses.com/iscorama-anamorphic-lenses-t6698,highlight,%2Banamorphic.html

• Why is this love for the ISCO54?

well if you get one or a few that have had a good life then your laughing. they seem to have been good enough quality for nasa. but what do nasa really know they ain't been to the moon or even into space : )

5096919478_77a13e8c7e.jpg
    500 x 291 - 188K
  • @JohnBarlow That extra 50% may in fact be worth it to some people, if it allows them to get a truly anamorphic feel with a 2.4:1 ratio from a 16:9 sensor. Not only that, but such a lens would have no competitors, and it would presumably be easy to adapt for use as a plain 2x lens on mFT and/or real cinema cameras such as the RED. It may be a bit out of the scope of this project, but still, it's worth consideration. By the way, I've got a Helios 40 (russian biotar clone) and absolutely love it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"What do you think about set of cheap T4 primes - 8mm, 12mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm, 45mm, 100mm."

We were told people like pancake lens and anamorphic oval aperture shape before. The Bokehmorphic is out now with anamorphic oval shape but feedback is f/2.8 is not fast enough. But for a Pancake anything faster than f/3.5 is quite fast! So T4 does not quite work out for us.

However, something in those FL is possibly something we will consider.

"Plastic only housing and mounts. No electronics. Simple focus ring."

We like to stick to robust materials for housing. Simple focus ring usually have issues with poor response when changing focus directions. As for electronics we have no plans on making anything electrical.

• @jackdoerner You nailed it - just bayonet out the third cell for RED use, simples

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters