Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
LED lighting setup for interviews
  • 27 Replies sorted by
  • My main question is in regards to how many lights you all would recommend I get for a starter kit?

Usually two or even one big light is enough for starters (+reflector and some smaller directional lights for hair, etc). For small interviews.

LEDs are amazing. But. Cheap ones suck. As far as I aware, CN are among the worst. Generally, it is the reason why you see only one big light - DN, on deals. It also has LED flaws, as all of them, but less.

Also, good to remember that big and good V-Mount batteries are not cheap and charger for them either.

May be just get average LED for moving things and fresnels or fluos kit for bigger inside things.

• I know 2 things for sure.

1. Most of these single color lights have a pretty bad green spike. I shot something a few weeks ago, was in a hurry since we were so behind and since I was by myself, forgot to gel my 500 LED. Well, now I have an ugly ass green skintone shot to fix, if I can, before I hand it off to the Producers. If what I hear about the bi-color helping to correct this is true, more than worth it and I'm going to try out on of the 312 ones to see.

2. If you look close at the way the hinges are mounted on the barn doors for these lights, you'll notice two types depending on seller and manufacture. I have 3 kino knockoffs that have this same hinge and they SUCK!!! I have to carry around a small wrench they supply to tighten the damn things up every time I use em. I've tried lock washers and all kinds of stuff but they keep breaking free. It's a real pain in the ass. My 500 LED on the other hand has a solid bar that runs the length of the side where the barn doors attach and it's never loosened up. I've noticed that the ones Vitaliy has on here don't have any barn doors. I'm wondering how much they are necessary? They really don't cut the light off as traditional open face and Fresnels do.