Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Part 3, Revenge of the Great Camera Shootout
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • @P4INKiller: Take note that it does show that the GH2 can recover a lot of lowlight, it isn't too great at handling highlights. And best results is still to light correctly.

• For those that are doubting GH2's DR:

If anything, it shows that one has to know how to grade for a specific camera.

• This I think goes to show the problem with our beloved GH2. A camera like the Alexa, F65 or Epic can work almost everywhere, doing more or less everything. The thing with the GH2 is that when handled in optimal conditions and by a good person, it looks amazing. It works best if you treat it sort of like older film stocks (before our HUGE dynamic range stocks from today) where you had to get a properly exposed negative and it would look great. It's the same thing here, as long as you work it well, bringing down highlights and shadows up to a good range, you will have an amazing picture. This test was good to show what the camera could handle, the last one showed what the people can make with that camera in the right hands. It's more challenging, but when done right, well then it's up there with the big boys.

• If you are into fiction, it's much more important than DR.

True. DP's spend a lot of time reducing ratios. DR is great for nature shooters though, that age old dilema of exposing for the sky or ground.

• Part 2 has shown us how important professional lighting is. If you are into fiction, it's much more important than DR. For documentary, I'd hope for more adjustments in picture profiles in the GH3, the sensor has more DR than the current profiles can squeeze into 8 bit.

• ok. I'm selling my gh2 for an Alexa.

• Yeah, I noticed the goof on the "Nancy Schreiber" titling as well. Guess Zucuto was in too eager to get this out to us :)

As far as the empirical test, I'm a little disappointed with the GH2. Resolution, aliasing and moire wise, it's always better than the 7D (and most all EOS DSLRs), but it looks like it consistently gets smoked in the dynamic range department.

Then all the other progressively more expensive cameras were not surprisingly progressively better in the highlight and shadows department. I don't think anyone was surprised...

Oh well, I still hang my hat on the fact that when the time and effort is put into learning how to work within the limitations of the GH2 (or any camera) one can get really amazing imagery (especially on the GH2).

And of course, the point that has been beaten over everyone's head that it's the story that matters above all else, should also give us all some faith :)

-will