Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Extra cheap plastic matte box

Looks like a toy :-)
    Of course it is in no way replacement for proper matte box. Even cheap one with Cokin holder.

Price : $28

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-box-for-15mm-rod-support-follow-focus-D7000-D90-t2i-600D-60D-NEX-5N-GH2-/390430388370
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • I have one of those in my "Why did I buy that" box. It's fine as a shade and I even made a 72mm ring for it....but after a while the flags got loose and would fall off.

Kinda embarrassing when people would chase you down and say "Pardon me but you lost your flag".

• I broke this in with the GH2 in Antarctic, did what it does. Fast, durable and immune to sea water.

• I bought old Ambico lens shader like that:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/300598427136?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
    It produced at 2 kinds: 16x9 and square. Comes with 49mm filter adapter.
    I found on eBay a 77mm adapter too , but it's not good for any Canon zoom.
    Mount with step up ring 46-49mm on Oly 12.0 , Pan 14.5 or 20.7
    For 14-140 I will find 62-77mm step up ring.
  • Ditto on the rail hood, it works well for flare, but also helps protect my lens (with ND) from saltwater spray coming from side on. At 15kph on a boat the wind starts to buffer it and the flaps rotate so i remove them by simply un-clipping them. All plastic so no corrosion either. I also leave the original 14 - 140 tulip hood on inside the matte box.
  • @brianluce
    Yes, the rail-mounted plastic lens hood is still working well. If you don't need a filter holder, I see no need for anything more complicated.
  • @LPowell
    Still good with yours? This thing might be worth it, I have a $50 ebay gift cert to burn up.
  • I just came across this 52mm thread screw on one. Sure its not a REAL matte box but if need something light to flag off the sun...its reallllly cheap... $29.95

http://www.amazon.com/aIR-Matte-Matte-Nikon-D3000-D3100/dp/B005JS4SR4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&m=A22SIY6ZFHMYUE&s=generic&qid=1314661346&sr=1-4
    31t-HxzM4rL.jpg
    500 x 353 - 16K
  • @Rambo

Looking forward to that. All else works for me....lightweight, some protection.
  • Very simple mod to make the hood and adjustable height strut support a lens weight, picture and post soon.

R
  • The circular rim of the plastic lens hood is too thin and the hood is too flexible to support any lens weight. While it's rigid enough to remain upright and stable by itself, the hood would bend if you put any pressure on it.
  • @LPowell
    In this case I do not understand words that it can hold only it's own weight.
    It is so bad molded to plastic?
    As I played with similar chinese mounts and normally they can hold at least 1kg without any mayor problems.
  • Yes, both the adjustable vertical bracket and the horizontal 15mm rail bracket are machined out of aluminum. The vertical bracket is permanently molded into the plastic lens hood. Everything else is stiff molded plastic.
  • @LPowell

My understanding that rail bracket is of aluminium.
    All else is plastic? Matte box mount to bracket seems to be alu as well.
  • I can't weigh it, it's too light, basically no heavier than an aluminum 15mm rail bracket. It is clearly not intended to support a lens, or anything other than its own weight. For that purpose, however, it is sturdy enough to remain stable under windy conditions.
  • @LPowell

Thanks for report.

This corresponds with my initial saying.
    It is lens hood that can be kind of lens support :-)

How much whole thing weights?
  • Mine arrived yesterday, shipped in 10 days from China. As expected, the lens hood and flags are molded plastic, not suitable for mounting filters or anything else. However, the 15mm rail-mount is well-machined out of aluminum. I replaced the cheesy blue thumbscrews with red anodized spares from my Gini rig and it looks much better. The hole in the lens hood fits around lenses up to around 72mm front diameter and the vertical adjustment range is broad enough for most situations. The flags snap on securely and there are built-in detents that keep them stable at several different angles. On mine, the top flag is noticeably bowed, but not enough to impair its functionality.

Overall, it's an inexpensive rail-mount lens hood with adjustable flags, much more effective than the snap-on petal hoods that come with wide-angle lenses.
  • @Ptchaw

yeah, cheapest is Indian one for $290 shipped.
    Plus good glass 4x4 filter are not cheap things at all.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev I brought a 2nd hand Hama 'shader' for £40 with a an extendable fabric hood. Takes Cokin P filters, with slots for filters up to 150mm.

There are a couple of others: http://cgi.ebay.com/new-Sunshade-DSLR-Matte-box-flag-AL-D100MB2-AL-/270786470404?pt=US_Camera_Camcorder_Accessory_Bundles and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mattebox-matte-box-sunshade-fr-DSLR-hdv-xm1-xm2-hv20-7d-/400230413939

Not quite as cheap, but they do have slots for filters.
  • >Not sure I'd trust a bit of plastic if my lens needed supporting, but fair enough!

Anyway, it is better for not large manual lenses than nothing that we have usually on amateur rigs.
    For large lenses you always need to use proper support, either build in or ring based.

As for primers, I just want to see "much better options for similar prices".
    Only one option below $100 that I know of is not very good indian matte box mounted on lens.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Not sure I'd trust a bit of plastic if my lens needed supporting, but fair enough! You might be able to fit a filter holder behind it. Primers?
  • @Ptchaw

Anything prevents you to adjust this "mattebox" height so it'll support fron of the lens?
    No?
    This is that I am talking about.

>As you say, there are much better options for similar prices.

Any primers?
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't think this one supports the front of the lens; the lens seems to float inside it. As you say, there are much better options for similar prices.
  • @Ptchaw
    I don't give a fuck about opinons of C..m guy. He lives from affilate links.
    Of course, if you want to replace proper mattebox with this you must be nuts.
    Cokin P matte boxes price now is about $165. Indian 4xx4 stuff is also quite cheap.
    And better options from TrustMT also exist.
    But if you look at lens support prices you realise that $58 is not that bad for a toy that can shade your lens and support front of larger manual lens also. :-) I don't understand such reaction.