Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic
  • 1003 Replies sorted by
  • Butt
    Im aware of the first few frames issue but this Its not the same its almost a continuous pulsing breakup and this image is a grab from around 1 min.
    Will try out your new settings when I get time.
  • @Mimirsan
    Do check all your settings carefully, as many times when testing different settings I changed one little thing, the video laid down perfect while shooting but played back with the pulsing you describe.
  • Thanks again Kae, Butt and everyone else.

I'd take the Cinematographers settings over the Videographers settings any day of the week.
  • @kae

First off your settings above for 24H are breathtaking, I couldn't break them so far. Beautiful and incredible data rates. 57900 average on very high detail. Some I-Frames reached 740kb

The FSH 1080i 60 worked also but gave me slightly lower bitrates 40838 max. I could not make it crash also which makes me very happy.

However SH Crashed every time by couldn't write to the card fast enough error but contrary to before the data was still saved till that point which previous patch attempts locked the camera leaving the files on 0.0kb. Now It crashed after 4-5 seconds on lots of detail. So 60p 720 crashes for some reason and the average bitrate is even lower than 60 i 1080. SH gives me a 37,607 average for the files. It looks very good I would say better than stock by a long shot, no visible blocks but the crash might be based on buffering/processing problems since the card can write the higher data rates of the other two no problem.

For reference I am using this image on the screen and moving it with the mouse and forcing the codec to work over time. Full screen 23 inches focused on tripod, all motion happens on the monitor. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/crowd_silv_2009.jpg

This is a great image because the detail in each face can tell you what is actually better or worse depending on each setting.

Transcend Class 10 32GB card used.

Thanks again for the hard work on your part and Vitaliy's!
  • @kae,

Just patched your latest settings - amazing! Great job.
  • @kae

tested video at ISO 12800 - world of difference average bitrate 70.5mb

Oh yeah, take a look at second image. Grain retention was best I have ever seen from any dslr clip. Oh yeah, maybe 93.7mb is doing that. I'll upload a sample.
    70mb.jpg
    1308 x 701 - 278K
    93mb.jpg
    1302 x 694 - 287K
  • kae
    I dont touch a thing...just loaded the patch and tested in areas that have known to give me card errors
    I was just leaving my findings from butt's settings with 720p mode
    Ive been using your recent one with no problems at all...and looks great btw
  • @Kae

We decree the final firmware?
    In the end what settings you put it?
    1080 24P / 1080 50i
  • @Mimirsan

yes they are right - I must still consider (720p)
    and i prefer currently also the settings of @kae (!)

• @Butt
    I tried your 32mbit 750p50 patch and the average bitrate is 32mbit but the quality of the footages is very low, with low details and pulsing images. I think that with 50p we have to use 6 gop. Do you have any optimized setting for 50p with 6 gop and higher bitrate?

Other problems:
    videolan usually can stream the first seconds than it freeze, i have to use other players and streamparser also shows evident difficulties to playback the footages
  • @elenion
    i think GOP6 - it could be - I am testing today
    setting coming soon:

here the 720/50p and 1080/50i and 720/60p, 1080/60i testet with death testchart pappasart no problem

setting by @kae
    72050p.jpg
    1200 x 674 - 125K
    72050pB.jpg
    1200 x 674 - 134K
    108050i.jpg
    1200 x 674 - 137K
    108050iB.jpg
    1200 x 674 - 126K
    72060p.jpg
    1200 x 674 - 129K
    72060pB.jpg
    1200 x 674 - 119K
    108060i.jpg
    1200 x 674 - 126K
    108060iB.jpg
    1200 x 674 - 109K
    seta.zip
    478B
    seta.jpg
    1200 x 674 - 174K
  • @plasmasmp
    how can you choose 12800 ISO?
  • @Kae

This is your best configuration?
    I had tested

Version increment=2
    30min limit removal=Checked
    PAL<->NTSC Menu=Checked
    Video Bitrate FSH/SH=42000000
    Video Bitrate FH/H=35000000
    Video Bitrate 24H=60000000
    Video Bitrate 24L=35000000
    720p50 GOP Size=6
    720p60 GOP Size=6
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=3
    1080i60 GOP Size=6
    Video Bitrate 24H ADD=60000000
    Overall Bitrate=60000000
    Overall Bitrate 2=48000000
    Video buffer=0x3000000
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
    1080p24 High Top Setting=42418
    1080p24 High Bottom Setting=29692
    1080p24 Low Top Setting=31178
    1080p24 Low Bottom Setting=21824
    Schermata 2011-07-23 a 16.13.21.png
    1268 x 614 - 59K
    Schermata 2011-07-23 a 16.13.45.png
    1265 x 615 - 64K
  • I tried kae's settings and they seems to work well, but i think that b frames are too small, then details are not excellent. 1080p is really good, 720p50 looks good too and 1080i50 is definitely worst. Good job guys!
  • (ah i've done test with much movement then the b frames are not smal because of a static picture)
  • @All

Guys thank you all for testing! It just confirms what I am seeing on my own, my last settings (and I will attach them again) below) for 1080 24P are the best I have seen from the GH2. Please understand I did not spend ANY time tweaking or testing the other settings for FSH or SH or 720P I just included them from butt's (I think) and put the GOP for those at 6. So indeed SH may give write errors for some even though I haven't experienced that. I am hoping others will come up with much better settings for 1080i and 720p but, I reiterate, I have not spent ANY time on these as I do not use these settings.

But I have spent probably 30 hours testing 1080 24P mode from a visual director's point of view and I am totally thrilled with the "look" of the 1080 24P 3 GOP I get with these settings. The motion is amazing, it ingests perfectly into Avid, there is the 10 frame glitch in the front of each clip but I can totally live with that. I am doing a medium budget ($12 million) feature in Italy next spring and plan on using a bunch of the GH2s as B cams for action sequences (that's why I was so anal about the look of the motion). I think I will have no problem using these 1080 24p settings for eventual blow up to 35mm. I wish it was 4:2:2 but you can't have it all. I would try an I frame only version of this 1080 24P hack but so far I cannot manage to get it to work at these high data rates and GOP 2 doesn't work at all. So until someone tops these settings or manages a higher data rate at 3 GOP (Vitaliy?) I am done testing at 1080 24P. But I encourage others to make it better. Again, Vitaliy is a genius who works tirelessly on behalf of all artists in the community and we are grateful!!

Note: To anyone worried about the size of the b frames while shooting the test chart - they will be SMALL by design because there is no motion. Just go outside and shoot high detail footage and move the s**t out of the camera and trust me, you will see huge B frames.

Note #2: To all GH2 users please after you flash go out and shoot real world footage with these settings to see how you like it for the normal kind of work you do. I don't mean to be snarky, but all these guys that just go out and shoot trees or test charts or static shots with Zakuto Shootout style testing procedures are just wasting time IMHO. 99% of what you get PAID to shoot will have nothing to do with these kinds of shots. The last director who spent a lot of time shooting static trees was Antonioni in 'BlowUp' and as much as I loved that flick, it died at the boxoffice.
    setb.zip
    437B
  • >I am doing a medium budget ($12 million) feature in Italy next spring and plan on using a bunch of the GH2s as B cams for action sequences

Wow, kae, that sounds great!!
    I wish you the best for the movie! And don't forget to include VK in the credits :)
  • @kae
    >I am doing a medium budget ($12 million) feature in Italy next spring...

$12 million?! Wow!!!

Here in Italy that budget would be considered very high :-(

May I ask you where you're going to shoot?

(sorry for the OT)
  • @kae:
    I'm sorry, but my eyes see no difference between the original and the hacked settings . Maybe just a placebo effect? Show me the difference between stock settings and hacked settings.
  • Look at the character of the noise in the shadows to start. That's where I see the biggest difference.
  • "Look at the character of the noise in the shadows to start. That's where I see the biggest difference. "

That`s all?
  • thanks @kae and good luck
  • @Angry_C
    I cite @Ian_T: "It’s pretty much what most of us expected (and wanted). Static shots were already sharp. It’s that little bit of mud in motion that we want to get rid of (which apparently is gone). Not only will a higher bitrate help the compression artifacts in 720p but also 1080p when it comes to shadow detail. When it comes to the GH-1 (and basically most CMOS cameras...not only DSLRs) I’ve always hated the murkiness/muddy-look in the shadow areas especially in green colored leaves in trees etc. The fact that the image now looks noisier after this hack on the GH-2 means it is allowing or squeezing all of the detail it can get out of the image. Now...we have control over what we want to do with it and not leaving it up to the camera to decide internally. I remember commenting on the noise and shadow detail from some Ninja footage. If we can do that without having to buy an external HDMI recorder...then it’s gravy from here.

Another benefit I see is...less macro blocking. In Vegas, when it comes to highly compressed images (without looking at the actual image), I can see macro blocking on the scopes. The less compressed these images become the less I see macro blocking on the scopes. It will also help color correcting big time. You will be able to push the colors a little more. I’m not sure yet if 42Mbps is a significant change...but the more the merrier.

I'd much rather noise from the sensor than compression artifacts any day."

and @Angry_C: Nobody forces you to jump on this train

• @Butt

I really would like to jump on this train, if someone shows the evidence. Until this, in my opinion everything is subjectively. I did a lot of tests and i´m a pixelpeeper, but i did not find decisive differences.
  • @Angry_C

then let the hack out - it forces you nobody
    but just let the negative chatter
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions