Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic
  • 1003 Replies sorted by
  • I think @stonebat has it close to right. I'm just guessing according to theoretical criteria - you'll have to test them. In some cases the AQ may need to be lowered a little.

Chris
  • Frankly I'm quite happy with 66Mbps 12GOP and 110Mbps 3GOP. I'm sure that curious people will fill up the vacuum ;)
  • I'm about 99% certain that 132mbps / under AQ3 after going through about 20 multipliers and a variety of other tests doesnt provide stability on any frame buffer/limit setting. The best multiplier was 1.45, and you can get some incredible pictures with the setting but it will eventually fail on high shutter high iso death chart setting. Seems stable under normal conditions. Its the closest I can get to match the available buffer ceiling declared by the encoder settings.
  • I know I am repeating myself here, but does anyone have or knows if a 66 to 88 mbs gop 3 working settings or if it would work with the 100+ ones decreasing the bitrate. Until now I have seen only 100+ mbs ones. I really like 3 gop but I have been using kae's 65 mbs 3.61 ones and the files where already on the big side. A more moderate 3 gop bitrate would be better for me.
  • Has anyone had any luck getting any of these settings to span? (apologies if this was covered elsewhere -- be away for a week and just trying to get caught up).
  • @JDN

In my limited testing, driftwood's ~100mbs settings described here spanned successfully for me. YMMV.:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/13127#Comment_13127

Edited as per driftwood's comment below.
  • @all
    Could anyone please point me to a low GOP 720p60 (with in-cam playback) settings which could work along with @driftwood's 100mbs 3 GOP settings? I've been trying to find one that has been already posted but no luck... So I've tried to make one of my own to no avail... I'm afraid it's out of my depth and I have a shoot in a couple of days so it would be terrific if someone could help me out :)
    Thanks a lot!!
  • Do not forget;

SETTINGS remarkable

@LPowell: 100Mbps GH2 MJPEG Low-Light Anamorphic Patch

@KAE: 65Mb/s 1080 24p 3 GOP settings

@CBRANDIN 44 Mbs doubled

• @peterdv_dot_com pappas death chart will not play back in camera which is why any high detail recordings will probably have problems. However theyre fine on the computer. The gh2 decoder is just not powerful enough at these settings! :-)
  • @Braamokiev
    Cheers! :)
    I was thinking more about Low GOP settings which allow AQ1 or 2 but I just tried @Kae's settings and they are indeed great! Will use them for my shoot if nothing else better comes out!
  • @driftwood Thanks for that clarification; appreciated.
  • +1 to danyyyel's question about 66/88 gop3 settings for 3.62:) thanks!
  • Hi there,
    First of all thanks everyone for this awesome hack and tests! Very, very happy about it. Question: I want to load a few settings post by driftwood and Chris in this topic. I use winebottler for running Ptool but do not understand how to load these .ini files. Thanks!
  • @Gerondo

When wine prompts you on launch of Ptools... choose to run Ptools within the current folder (also, put the .ini files in here) and they will just show up automatically.
  • is anyone having any luck with this in etc mode? I have used a variety of settings and it seems like no matter what I use I have a glitch or error in my footage every 15-20 seconds. If anyone has any advice let me know.

I am currently using stonebats 100mbs gop3 set h on a sandisk extreme 8GB
  • sorry for the dumb newb question, but is there anyway to find setting without digging through threads and posts? im interested in kae, lpowells, other users settings but i cant find them anywhere.
  • Strange thing happend. I was doing test with 66/6 GPO 24p AQ3, and i wanted to test image quality in post situation. Image quality was exellent and Mocha automation worked really well (unlike footages from Canon 7D tahat i have to roto). Strange thing was that AE say 24p also Mocha say 24p, but after Fusion (Fusion say also 24p) Premier say 25p. I have tripla checked settings, and everything should be OK. Any idea?

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/426/gh2-stalin-samples-topic
  • @otcx

In Fusion are you passing it a sequence of stills ?, and what are you writing out your final composition as ? Is it a sequence of stills, or are you bundling it into a playback format (Mov, Avi or somesuch). You could always get Premiere to reinterpret the footage at the correct framerate anyway. I've seen premiere guess wrong with a sequence of stills in the past, after all its not got much to go on apart from your project settings.

Edit : Actually your question is probably one for vfxtalk.com or creativecow.com
  • After AE everythin is sequence of stills. Also every programs framerate is set to same 24.p. Only from Premier i rendere it to H.264 for vimeo. From Mocha i only export shapes.
  • @octx

I wouldn't worry about it then if its a stills workflow, just interpret footage in premiere and set it to the correct framerate once its imported. Yeah, its weird though, Premiere always assumes project settings with my stills sequences (Tiffs and I'm using CS5.5). My workflow is similiar but involves Nuke instead of Fusion and has no AE (but mocha standalone sometimes and Scratch), I always work on stills sequences.
  • @Stray

OK i try your links. I just think if the hack have something to do with it.
  • @otcx I don't see how it could be hack related, its stills sequences, if (and its not likely) there is metadata being stored within them that specifies a frame rate that Premiere is picking up then its Fusions fault. A still is a still is a still, it makes no difference what framerate you finally render it out at, though it can affect motion vector driven algorithims in your post application for specific processes you apply (again, this is rare though and relates to specific cases).
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions