Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic
  • 1003 Replies sorted by
  • 100Mbps, GOP3, AQ2, 7~9Mb I-frame... Hmmm... AQ3 is too much to ask? Go for it @driftwood!!!!
  • Dumb question from me: any drawback to the GOP1 @ 100mbps vs GOP3@ 100mbps - tested the 50mbps it worked great.
  • @VK

If you look up the QP numbers in the table (in the standard, that is) a value of 20 corresponds to a 5:1 compression ratio in I frames. An uncompressed 4:2:0 1080p frame comes to about 3MB. If you divide that by 5 you get about 600K - which is what @driftwood got (almost - but you have to account for overhead).

Assuming that B frames ideally come out to about 1/4 the size of I frames with GOP 3, that means GOP 3 will be about twice as efficient as GOP 1. Given that, the QP should be able to be set at 14. That will result in I frames of about 1.2MB and B frames of about 300KB at a bitrate of 100Mb. Setting AQ at 1-2 should get close to that, or QP can be set manually. Without also raising FB1, FB2, and frame limit about 1.5x, the codec will either not reach 100Mb, or B frames will become artificially large because I frame size will be limited to 1MB. Thus I believe that with GOP3 at 100Mb you pretty much have to increase quality settings to make productive use of the bandwidth.

Anyway, that's how I calculated it. That's why I like this stuff @driftwood is doing.

Chris
  • @ driftwood : Testing your settings with 100mbs - gop1 high and 50mbps gop1 low now
  • @bannedinv Go for it. 3 GOP looks stunning! 1 GOP is incredible too.
  • GOP3 100mbps with QA = 3. Pappas chart = Success.
    VK / Chris: 1080p24 T4 = T1 - any recommednations?
    100mbps GOP3 with AQ=3 pappas death test chart.png
    1416 x 781 - 354K
  • @driftwood

You're getting a little detail pulsing there - maybe drop AQ to 2? Have you tried setting FB1, FB2, and frame limit to 1.5x the default?

Chris
  • @driftwood Try exactly as Chris and VK advised. T4=T1, 1.5x on FBs and EFL, AQ2. Also 110Mbps!!! It passed my bush of death test.
    110M-3GOP-AQ2-1.5X.jpg
    1273 x 673 - 329K
  • Chris, ta for the FB tips. Charts below = Latest GOP 3 Test. Pappas Death Chart 2 min test = Success. FB1/FB2/FB Limit 1.5 multiplier. The I frames have dropped btw - The images look G-R-E-A-T!!! Here's the latest settiings attached. Enjoy!
    (NB this test was conducted only for 24H 1080p24)
    Note: Sorry forgot to check the boxes for FB2 and Limit. I'm tired VK gimmee a break!
    100mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    1407 x 838 - 425K
    Driftwood - 100 mbps GOP3 - FB1FB2FBL=1.5 multiplied on original AQ = 2 - - setg.zip
    424B
  • 1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=3
    Video Bitrate 24H ADD=100000000 < -- remove this
    Video buffer=0x3000000 < -- not necessary
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
    1080p24 FB1=1175040 < -- FB2/FBL absent

@driftwood
    You are full of posts and emotions, but very low on value.
  • @stonebat Nice! I tried chris exact settings for FB1 FB2 and Limit - the result is the pappas chart of death below, as u can see the i frames stabilise to the same size as the B frames.

Note: ignore last test - redoing it - i forgot to check a few boxes, now Im getting f*ckin grief!
  • I think... 100Mbps is getting choked. Raise the overall rate more.

Video Bitrate 24H=110000000
    1080p24 T4=1080p24 T1
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev You are being a bit harsh?! I forgot to check those FB & limits in my last tests thats all!
  • @driftwood Waiting for your pappas chart of death test result. Please post your settings!!! It will be super
  • @Stonebat heres the 100mbps death chart with all of settings PROPERLY checked! Ill try pushing the bit rate more but we're probably hitting ther boundaries soon...
    corrected - 100mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    1407 x 779 - 333K
    corrected GOP3 100mbs - FBs x1.5- aq2 - setg.zip
    435B
    INFORMATION corrected - 100mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    406 x 319 - 17K
  • Awesome. Can you try motion, too? Just move around and see how the sizes of I and B frames change.

The more details, the higher I-frame size. The more motion, the higher B-frame size.
  • I hope somebody tests this case, too.

Take high details on a tripod. Wait 30 seconds. Start panning. Not too fast. Just slow enough to keep the I-frame size high. Not too slow. Just fast enough to raise B-frame size. That will stress the codec. Actually this case seems very practical...
  • @Stonebat - I feel a little taken aback by VKs comment earlier. Ive been toying with a ton of settings before I settled on the 24p Video Buffer being my main problem - but it got me to 100mbps on GOP1 and GOP3. If other more experienced ptools users can take it further then fine! The settings I posted were always geared towards 1080/24p 24H. In future I wont check (or leave unchecked) settings not required. Sorry once more VK.
  • @driftwood You did awesome job. Thanks man. 100Mbps GOP3 AQ2 Stable Cadence!!! 110Mbps worked fine, too.
  • @driftwood
    thank you for your efforts dude! very cool, will test tomorrow.
    can someone briefly explain the differences between 100mbps GOP1 and GOP3- pros + cons please?
  • GOP1 might have much less motion artifact as there are nothing but I-frames, but it lowers the bit size of I-frame.

GOP3 might have little more motion artifact as there are B-frames, but it raises the bit size of I-frame.
  • Stop beeing so emotional @driftwood !! Joking, well done sir, thanks.
    Edited : nevermind my question...
    Thanks again (thx also to the Musketeers who helped!)
  • @driftwood

Magnificent! I think you just came up with my new personal settings. Thanks.

Chris
  • @stonebat thanks, so GOP1 is probably a bit more geared towards motion improvements and GOP3 bit more for static detail improvements?
    @cbrandin the GOP3 right? :)
    @driftwood thanks again.
  • @stefanos

Yes, the GOP 3. I think it will keep up with motion just fine. Also, the individual frame quality will be better than is possible with GOP 1. It's perfect for me.

Chris
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions