Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Intraframe vs Interframe compression flame
  • This discussion was created from comments split from: Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic.
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • Where Intra-frame encoding can make a noticeable difference is in tracking rapid object motion at fast shutter speeds. As the AVC-Intra codec demonstrates, however, very high bitrates are required to maintain high image quality - 100Mbps should be considered the minimum required bitrate at 1080p resolution. Ideally, you'd want more than 200Mbps in an intra-only AVC encoder to produce an image quality comparable to that of a B-frame-enabled 50Mbps AVCHD encoder.
  • @stonebat

Again, we're not bashing b-frames. We're just trying to get them as low as possible, since some of us don't like the temporal motion they cause. A few of us are not solely after the highest bit-rate possible, we're also trying to improve the film-look of the camera... and the lower the b-frame count, the more film-like the image becomes. Just have a look telkitashi's examples... they're much more film-like because the encoder is not quantizing and vectoring parts of the image. The whole image should reflect the shutter speed, and IMO, inter-frame compression and b-frames make parts of the image look like it was exposed with an open-shutter instead of the regular 1/50.

@telkitachki

The examples are looking good! Great examples of the film-motion I'm talking about! The Shoe-Making video looks allot like the motion from a Red camera... I really hope we can get the GH2 down to GOP1!
  • Just tried with the newest ptools v3.61d (190711)
    just set the
    Encoder setting 1 1080i/p to 2
    and
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP size to 1
    then you will get a only I frames 24p video

*EDIT*
    after some test i found that the codec is breaking,
    maybe need some more test...
  • Here is another two gh13 GOP1 samples made at different situations. If it interesting for you, please download files, since i do not have permit to make direct HD playback at vimeo.

• With GH2 having 200Mbps bitrate potential, it seems a step backward to bash B frames.
  • @telkitachki Interesting! The low light stuff you've getting from your GH1 looks so great. Can't wait to try my GH2 when the hacks come out but I'm hugely impressed by the quality of your shots. I wouldn't have thought increasing the bitrate would give you less image noise but those are so "clean". I wonder, is that because image noise is normally "hard work" for the compressor (I assume it can't distinguish it from "wanted" motion) and is therefore working on that in addition to the "wanted" image detail? And / or maybe higher compressions do something to make the image noise look somehow more intrusive?

BTW Sorry I don't know anything about HDMI - not something I use.
  • @Mark_the_Harp
    Yes, it looks great. I love this patch but unfortunately it is not possible to use it for daylight outdoor shooting with many details. At this case it makes 80-95mbps average and 130-160mbps peak bitrate, and not enough speed of class 10 card. It would be great if i could use some external recorder, but it is not possible with gh13. Or possible? What about gh13 HDMI future? Or HDMI is not good interface for huge bitrate video out?
  • bwhitz said: "B-frames basically just save the changes in motion from the previous frame, the rest of the frame just kind of slides around. "

The sliding effect you're referring to does occur in videos that are excessively compressed and starved of bitrate. When restricted to extremely low bitrates, an AVCHD encoder will resort to its most efficient compression techniques. An encoded B-frame may contain virtually exact copies of areas found in nearby frames, with slight shifts in position to track object movements.

With adequate bitrate, however, an AVCHD encoder will use motion vectors from nearby frames only as an initial approximation of areas in the B-frame it is encoding. It will use additional techniques to refine B-frame image details to match the image quality of an I-frame. When necessary, the encoder can use the same intra-frame compression on selected B-frame macroblocks that it uses to encode I-frames. At high-quality bitrates, B-frames are visually indistinguishable from I-frames.
  • @bannedindv

Yea, I don't know why people started saying we were flaming... we just started talking about b-frames and how some of us don't like the motion they can create. I did say "death to b-frames!" but that was pretty much just a joke/sarcasm.

But yea, all I-frame ecoding would be amazing! ...even if the bit-rate is lower than with the inter-frames.

BTW, kae has mentioned that GOP 1 setting doesn't work... but multiples of three seem to. Has anyone tried a value of GOP 0? Maybe? I would try it myself, but WineBottler is not working. It's missing all the Winetricks. I guess it's a bug in snowleapord. I'll just have to run a copy of windows with bootcamp I guess.
  • Hi Friends,

I don't think there is any reason to flame or be upset about this. I am interested in the implementation of GOP1 because Telkitachki's GOP1 videos look very nice, and I think the hardware in the GH2 might be capable of a sustained 40-50mb all iframe recording... What does everyone else think?

Here is the Wiki on AVC-intra:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVC-Intra
  • Yes VK you are right, I was just purely illustrating for others the visual effect that the original poster was referring to.
  • @telkitachki's video is exactly the look I am talking about. Incredibly filmic in a temporal way to my eye. I wasn't able to play back GOP 1 footage I shot with the GH2 in cam or computer or I would shoot that way all the time. Lowest GOP I could go to was taking Kris C's 70mbit settings found here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/50/official-gh2-stalin-hack-development-topic/p12, changing everything he had at 70000000 and making it 50000000. Then changing the 108024p GOP setting to 3. As I stated earlier, going lower than that wasn't playable on computer or cam. 3 was lowest I could go. Next playable GOP setting was 6, but I like 3 better - temporally, at least.
  • @telkitachki Your video looks really nice!
  • @kae

I'm totally with you. I also prefer higher temporal quality and motion, to overall data-rate. AVCHD-inter looks to me almost like the mentioned "Soap Opera Effect" with 120hz TV's... although not nearly as bad. Did you post your GOP 3 settings anywhere for the GH2? I'd love to try them out and shoot some comparisons maybe...
  • I think it's all a matter of personal preference. There's no way I'll accept an argument from anyone about GOP length on the GH13 or GH2. Shorter AVCHD GOPs look much more filmic to ME when shooting moving images, period. I've shot with all GOP lengths and 3 for the GH13 and now the GH2 is what I prefer. It's entirely subjective though. When I show GH1/2 tests to my younger friends they don't feel that way, so no right or wrong here. It's an image quality vs. perceived temporal quality debate. I totally get that shorter GOP in a given data rate means less image quality. My hope is that when Vitaliy's new patch allows us to double the average 24p bit rate, my current 3 GOP setting will hold up. The temporal feel of the action is more important to me than image quality but I totally get most folks may feel the opposite. I've been working on feature films for 30 years so I have a built-in, old school bias that may be totally inappropriate in today's digital world. What's nice about the Gh1/2 is that it allows us to shoot any kind of look we want in extremely high quality - temporal or visual.
  • @Bueller
    That are you talking is not related to compression, but rather frame interpolation.
    It is completely different thing.
  • Here we call it the Soap Opera effect.

On a 120 Hz TV with the motion interpolation turned on, this means that 4 out of every 5 frames displayed on the TV were artificially filled in by the video processor, not native to the source. That creates the "soap opera effect" -- making something originally shot on a 35/70mm film camera look like it was created on a cheap camcorder. It might smooth out the panning shots, but it also washes out a lot of the fine detail and completely changes the look and feel of a movie.

The perspective that most professional reviewers come from is that theatrical presentation is the reference standard. And that's also the reference that movie directors and cinematographers come from as well. Everything in the production and post production chain is optimized around what the movie looks like in the theater. And in most cases, that holds true for the home video versions as well.
  • Here you are. Feel free to flame about this.
  • @edun It's not visible in the sense that macro-blocking is... it's more like parts of the image aren't changing from frame to frame. For example, if there are building's in the background of some shots, it looks like they stay still and just "shift" around from frame to frame instead of refreshing as a new image... or like parts of the image are getting "cut-out" and repositioned. In cinematography terms, it's almost like part of the image is shot at the traditional 1/50 shutter, while the rest is a lower shutter speed, like 1/30.

@telkitachki The motion of your GOP1 looks nice! More like real digital cinema motion, than an inter-frame stream. Hoping to do this with the GH2! I'll play around with this once I get Windows (or figure out Winebottler) on my Mac...

At, VK's request I'll start a new thread... I don't want to de-rail this one anymore.

• Here is my example of intraframe gh13 video with gop set to 1 (last message). May be it will be useful for your discussion.
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/166/is-a-pseudo-i-frame-codec-possible-with-gop1#Item_27
  • @edun
    You're mixing me up with who I'm quoting. I agree with you. LOL!
  • Very interested in what you mean though, proaudio4, could you maybe share an example where it's very visible (maybe in new topic)?
  • @dkitsov "You know, if it was true what you said, you would see the same issues with the Blu-ray disk movie releases. "
    Good point, I certainly don't see an issue there.

@bwhitz "Also, is it possible to run Canon 7D/5D footage through streamparser? I have a feeling that the "inadequate" codec everyone complains about in the Canon DSLRs is exactly the reason they look so filmic. I'm guessing the GOP is very low, around a 3-4, and b-frames are probably absent. "

I see nothing that makes the Canon more filmic, especially claiming its due to higher compression. LOL! It's just the opposite.

I'm certainly not interested in hearing about Canon 7D in this topic.
  • @bwhits What you are seeing ("sliding") has nothing to do with the b-frames, it has to do with low bitrate. You know, if it was true what you said, you would see the same issues with the Blu-ray disk movie releases.
  • @bwhitz
    This is why I asked you to read books.
    Just try to use MJPEG keeping the same bitrate and then compare it with "so bad" large GOP AVCHD :-)