Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Video I/O Experience and Advice?
  • Following up on a thread I started a while back--Broadcast Monitor for Color Correction vs Affordable Alternatives--to which there were quite useful replies, I want now to ask people about their experiences and recommendations for a video I/O device to help get a "near" broadcast quality image on a second computer monitor / HD TV.

I'd ideally like something that:

• Is compatible with both Mac and PC
    • Can be used with CS5.5, CS6, (compatibility with Avid and FCP are bonus
    • can work with davinci resolve
    • Not more than $600 ($900 absolute highest if it's really worth the extra $)

I know of the Matrox MXO mini, but I don't have any experience with it or any other box.

Also, is there any box solution that will work on an old 2007 Imac that lacks both a PCI slot and a thunderbolt?

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • @subco I'm mostly leaning towards an LCD monitor. I know how to use scopes / waveform.

I'm asking about people's specific experiences with video i/o devices that meet some or all of the criteria I list above.

• Ok well... I just found out that matrox products won't work with Resolve. Matrox is also apparently not very good with driver updates, etc. So... now investigating blackmagic...

• Tried any aja products?

• Many people claim that the intensity card work great with resolve, it's like some kind of secret http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/364/114 http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/ that is 200$. I don't know abaut the usb version but the intensity pro seems to work good with resolve and avid and others too. hope that helps.

• @subco Exactly! Also, don't forget getting a suitable grading monitor! (looking at a panasonic plasma as budget solution). Well, I'm glad I waited a little while before getting a local firm to custom build a pc for me. Gonna need to ensure work with Resolve.