Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
85mm F1.4 and T1.5 Cine Rokinon, Samyang Lenses
  • 64 Replies sorted by
  • Is this a real question? How else are you going to attach an EF mount lens to a MFT camera? Gaffers tape?

• and samyang 50mm

• Can I confirm that the Canon version of this lens would require an EF to Micro 4/3 adapter?

• That would be great. I couldn't find any video about that. Thanks!

• @stonebat You need a test video for that?

• Let's wish for Samyang 135mm!!!

• @soup, I have the cine version of 14, 35, and 85 and they are all great. the there is nothing wrong with the 14, it just takes a second or 2 longer to get the focus dialed in. there may be better options around that price range, I didn't look too hard, I'm a big fan of rokinon and de clicked aperture so it's what I'll stick with for now.

• Nope. 85 is a winner. One of the cheapest I believe too. I like the 24 as well.

• @vicharris Thanks. I had a wrong perception that all Samyang lenses have bad lens breathing.

• @stonebat, yep, there is a slight bit of breathing but NOTHING close to the 35 and less than the 24. All Samyang primes are internal focus. Here's a screen grab from a PSA with this lens.

Screen shot 2013-02-07 at 12.25.34 PM.png
    1590 x 879 - 1000K
  • Is it true that Samyang 85mm F1.4 or T1.5 lens has minimal lens breathing? Also internal focusing?

• That's 4/3 not MFT

• Thank you all for the replies :)

• @soup

Balazer's correct - an 85mm lens on the GH2 has the same angle of view as a 170mm on a taditional 35mm full frame camera. But if you've never shot with a full frame camera, then that information is useless to you. We're in a new world now - cameras have sensors of all different sizes and crop factors. There's no single standard anymore. The same 85mm lens will become more and more of a telephoto lens the smaller the sensor is that you use it on. For example, on the GH2, if you go into ETC mode, which only uses the central portion of the sensor, that 85mm lens will now have the angle of view of a 440mm lens on a full frame camera. Actually, that's pretty cool! But, the only way to understand what that really means is to put the lens on your camera and see what the world looks likes through it.

• Yep but it's still awesome for closeups!

• Thanks for the reply. Still quite confused :S I guess

So yeah it's 85mm, but when used on a GH2 it's field of view (if i got thet right) is essentially that of a telephoto/~170mm right?

been reading this online too (and that Gh2 shooters guide). Planning on buying this lens thats why Im researching

• An 85-mm lens is an 85-mm lens. A lens's focal length is a property of the lens that doesn't change when it's attached to a different camera. An 85-mm lens on the GH2 provides approximately the same angle of view as a 170-mm lens on a full-frame 35-mm camera, since the GH2's sensor is about half as wide. (a crop factor of 2.0, or 1.8 in video mode)

• Very noob-ish question.

Im pretty new to this, is it right that this lens will essentially be ~170mm when used on the GH2? This would put it in the telephoto range then?

1st post btw sorry for the silly query :)

• @peternap @ LPowell and @vicharris thanks for your comments. I prefer the way Canon, Pany etc turn. My main concern is getting the most compatible glass that will mount to a variety of systems in the future (talking about Blackmagic Cinema Cam, Sony FS700 etc). I guess you can't go wrong with Canon mount lenses.

• All the internal workings are the same.

• Will the cine version have a lower geared focus ring?

• I have this lens. It's remarkably good for portraits/talking head videos--especially when you can't get a lot of distance between the subject and the background.

• @Tobsen Yep, I agree with LPowell. I actually like to turn forward to focus out and turn backwards to focus in. Just seems like it makes sense.